Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA-680
Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Reviews: 71 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $849
Description: SA-680 covers 10 through 80 meters.
Length retracted: 39 Extended:57
3 inch diameter coil with 10 gage tinned copper wire wound at 6 Threads Per Inch.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/antennas.html

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA-680.

WB5VUH Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with all aspects  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used a screwdriver-type HF mobile antenna for several years, I knew how well they performed - I thought - until I bought the SA-680. It has surpassed my previous history and I am very pleased with its looks, performance, craftsmanship, and without a doubt, the person behind building the antenna. Ron has contributed a lot of his time, talent, ability, and personality building this fine antenna. I can't say enough nice things about using it and the signal reports its getting. I give it a 10+ !!!

N7GCO Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna in August and installed it on my truck. With this antenna, I won the mobile SSB Salmon Run Contest in September, making over 400 contacts in less than 30 hours. I work a number of foreign countries every week.

The workmanship and quality of this antenna are outstanding. The performance is remarkable.

It is a fantastic antenna and I recommend without reservation.

N5NA Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Nothing But Quality!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I received my SA-680 in January, 2012. It replaced a High Sierra HS-1500. The SA-680 is an impressive antenna. From the customer service to the construction to the packing you can't ask for higher quality.

I originally mounted my SA-680 in the bed of my truck near where I'd had my HS-1500. I used a 12" x 12" x 1/4" aluminium plate bolted to the bed with the antenna mounted in the center. While fairly solid the 1/4" plate allowed the antenna to wobble slightly. The coil of the antenna was below the roof line at this location. After discussing with Ron he recommended having the coil above the roof of the truck. After giving it some thought I moved the location to my fender inside the bed using 3/8" aluminium plate. The 3/8" plate gave a much more solid mount and the fender height got the coil above the roof. Plus it was farther from the cab which solved some RFI problems I'd had with my rear speakers.

I primarily use my SA-680 in state QSO parties. Since installing this antenna I've operated mobile in the LA, MS, AR, KS, TX, & NM QSO parties, in 2012 and 2013. It's not unusual to work quite a few DX stations including DL, JA, SM, OM, YV, and OE.

The only problem I've ever had was during the 2012 KSQP. I noticed in my rear view mirror the antenna was swaying. My first thought was my fender had come loose due to the mass of the antenna. But it turned out the nut on the 3/4" all thread had come loose. Luckily the adjustable wrench I had with me opened large enough to fit the nut. I've since placed some thread lock on the all thread and haven't had the problem again.

I recently noticed Ron has a note on his website stating the quick disconnect is no longer offered with any of his antennas. Mine has the quick disconnect feature and I use it all the time. I was curious so I emailed Ron asking why that was no longer offered. Within 45 minutes of sending my email Ron called (talk about customer service!) to answer my question. It turns out many customers were unaware of the quick disconnect or the set screw holding the quick disconnect. (Guess some folks don't read the instructions!) Not pulling the quick disconnect occasionally and lubricating it was causing a problem with it seizing up. Now Ron ships the antenna with a piece of 3/4" all thread screwed 5" into the base with 1" below the base. The all thread can be backed out to whatever length is needed for the mounting scheme used. If someone needs a quick disconnect Ron is recommending a heavy duty quick disconnect made by Breedlove Mounts.

While Scorpion antennas are expensive, you get what you pay for. I've been very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.

W9WTF Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 11:52 Send this review to a friend
The very best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my SA-680 mounted in the back of my F-150 for about a year now. I get consistent 59s from DX stations. I can usually bust a pileup while mobile with 100w. I still get a kick when DX asks me if I'm really mobile.
Ron is great to work with if you have ant questions. He stands behind his products.

KG7DNT Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2013 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just want to thank Ron Douglass, the owner of Scorpion Antennas. His attention to detail and thoughtful customer service really makes this such a great product. I bought the SA-680 and it works so well on my IC-700 and my old FZJ 80 Land Cruiser. Absolutley no motor noise when moving the antenna, and noise is pretty well under control with minimal bonding. If I can hear a station, they can hear me, that is the bottom line. If you want to go Mobile HF, then get this antenna, and don't look back.

KG7DNT

KI6RJW Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2013 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Incredible antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
All I can say is, awesome performance, incredible customer service, and Ron means every word of his Lifetime Guarantee. I installed this with a Kenwood TS480HX back in 2009. Mine is the Black Widow version. After around one year, the antenna would not go up or down properly, I contacted Ron, he told me to hand the antenna to a UPS shipper with a number he gave me, he paid shipping BOTH WAYS!!! Who does that anymore, repaired it and upgraded it, had it back to my doorstep in less then two weeks! Pricey, yes. Heavy, YES, is it worth it, YES YES YES is all I can say. This is after I tried the Hi-Q both 4.5 and a 5 inch model, an original DK3, a Larrys antenna and a Tarheel. I am glad I settled for the Scorpion.

N5PI Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2013 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the SA-680 on my 1993 Bronco. The shipping was fast, Ron's great to respond quickly to any questions, and the antenna is very well built. I've installed other mobile antennas over the years and they were really not worth the effort. I decided to purchase this antenna because I wanted an antenna that works without any hassels. I'm too old or lazy to pull over and switch coils, change plugs etc. and it really is not safe anymore to do so on the interstate or rest areas . Addtionallly, it takes too much time for me. I read all of the instructions, K0BG's website, gathered all the things for the install and took my time. All of the reviews are correct and the main point I want to make is that taking your time and installing this antenna correctly is worth the effort. I can't say that with respect to other antennas I've owned. Thanks, Ron, for an outstanding experience.

N0JDP Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2013 14:29 Send this review to a friend
best antenna ive seen to date  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put the scorpion antenna on my gasoline tanker up here in ND.in july of 2011 and drive 10,000 miles a month in a 300 mile radius of Minot ND.it gets anywhere from -40 below to a 100 above in temperature and the antenna has worked excellent,in the beging of my instalation i had some troubles with swr but it led back to grounding whitch was my fault,Ron at scorpion worked me through my grounding issues and problems fixed,i love the s-o 239 connector on the antenna and the stainless steel construction,the antenna is rock solid and highly recommend this antenna 73,s Kirk.........

WA1MLA Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2013 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile HF antenna!BUILD LIKE A TANK , Best ever.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a well built and well designed antenna.
All Stainless Steel construction.
The installation was very easy to the point that I was surprise it worked the first time I tried it.
The model SA-680 I use works so well that if I can hear a station 10 to 80 meters I can work them. Very satisfied!
What I can hear I can work.Good signal report.
It is still working absolutely great.

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2013 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Wow what an Antenna  Time owned: months
This thing is built like nothing else !!! it's a work of art
I have it mounted on a small Rover 25 on the Tow Bar bracket I have done some bonding but need to do more when the weather improves
I have the 6ft whip for 10/12m below that I use a 7ft Stainless steel CB whip this thing just rockes on 40m Last night I worked
EY8AR, VK7AC, EA8DO, 7X2ARA, 6W/F6IRS/P, and CO6LI who I worked whilst driving home the antenna is so well made I was driving with the 9ft Whip on on 40m on 20m KP4AYA, YV5ESN, YV5JM, N4TSC, CO6LC, so I am one happy Dxer this antenna is the one to have
Ian 2E1RDX/M