Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA-680
Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Reviews: 85 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $849
Description: SA-680 covers 10 through 80 meters.
Length retracted: 39 Extended:57
3 inch diameter coil with 10 gage tinned copper wire wound at 6 Threads Per Inch.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA-680.

KF5ZHD Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna, and the support that comes with it, is one of the best products I have ever owned. I won't pretend to be a radio expert-this mobile setup was my first foray into HF. I did have a set of hamsticks before this, and they were blown out of the water both in performance and ease of tuning. What I do know is the antenna is built like a tank. I travel down overgrown bumpy dirt roads with it almost every day, as well as long high speed trips on highways, and once you scrape the bugs and dirt off it still looks brand new after almost a year and works just as well. I opted for the cap hat, and have gotten exceptional signal reports on many contacts. Putting out 200 watts with my Kenwood TS-480HX I can fairly reliably bust pileups as long as I am parked in a decent location, and people are surprised to hear I am a mobile. After grounding the car well and running a 2 inch copper strap from antenna to car body I can get a near 1:1 SWR match every time. The only thing slightly negative the cap hat does is limit tuning to 17-80 instead of 10-80, so if you are a big fan of the higher HF bands you might just stick to the whip antenna. And you will get questions, oh so many questions, about what that thing is on your car!

But what really shines is Ron's customer support. When I first got it he helped me figure out how to mount it, and threw in some free gear when the order was delayed a couple days (even though he was still a few weeks before the initial expected date). Recently, the quick connector for the cap hat snapped (honestly surprised it took this long with how much my bumpy road wobbles it around), and he shipped a new one priority overnight after I sent him an email.

Yeah, it's a pricey antenna compared to many mobiles, but in this case you absolutely get what you pay for.

VK2HDX Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2015 20:37 Send this review to a friend
SA680 Now 12 Months old  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had the SA680 for 12 months. I recently did a trip through outback Australia and across the Simpson Desert I traveled hundreds of kilometers on some very rough and corrugated roads the antenna was faultless worked great the only issue i had was the small pin holding the quick release vibrated loose and i lost the pin. I did a temporary fix with some fencing wire. When i got back from the trip i emailed Ron to order another quick release unit i had put the antenna through hell and back. he sent a replacement unit free of charge you just don't get customer service from anyone like that any more. This is one of the best company's i have ever dealt with. When we stopped in Birdsville i met another couple of hams running Atas antennas. they were very impressed with the SA680 when we switched on 20 meters i was able to have a QSO with a station in Mexico the other hams could not even hear him they also tried calling him but no contact. They are now going to look at buying the SA680.
This antenna is by far the best mobile antenna on the market today don't even consider anything else
Ron is a pleasure to deal with and backs his product 100%

Regards
Paul VK2HDX

KC5MO Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2015 05:55 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After running a 102" whip and a tuner I decided it was time for a real antenna and my homework led me to the Scorpion antenna. The antenna I purchased is the SA-680 with the Black Widow upgrade, enclosed shunt coil and Ron had a special deal going and I got the Caphat as well. Installation was easier than expected with the Breedlove Bennie Bracket and the help of K0BG's website. Tuning the shunt coils was tricky, but rewarding with a good compromise between the two bands. I also added a Ameritron remote SWR meter and a turns counter and overcurrent alarm are on the way.
The finish is perfect as is the craftsmanship and it's performance is outstanding. I should have purchased one earlier. Thanks Ron!

W4YB Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2015 17:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have tried a number of antennas and most of the well known do a great job but none have the quality of the Scoepion 680. It's the only one I am aware of that has a lifetime warranty . It,s a bit pricey but in this case you DO get what you pay for. Ron is very pleasant and nice to work with for any problems.,which I think you will find will be few. He is very patient with us antenna amateurs and doesn't make you fell like a dunce. I get lots of flowers on the air with responses like "I thought that was a scorpion. You have a great signal with the 100 watts." If I need another mobile antenna it will be a scorpion for sure. Thanh you Ron

K6OG Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2015 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the SA-680 for a couple of months and couldn't be more pleased. I had purchased an ATAS-120 that did not work very well, there is no comparison between the antennas. I built a bracket out of 3/8" and 1/2" steel plate to Ubolt onto the headache rack of my F-250. I used a fold over mount from Breedlove mounts to complete my installation. I also built a bracket for the antenna to rest in when horizontal. I also spent a bunch of time properly grounding and bonding the body, doors, bed, tailgate and exhaust on the truck.
Trust me, this is one tough antenna.

My radio is a FT-857 with a Turbo Tuner antenna tuner. If for some reason the Turbo Tuner doesn't work I can always connect the switch that comes with the antenna. If you want to see the SA-680 mounted on my truck you can you can see pictures on Scorpion's web site.

The results that I have got with the Scorpion SA-680 have been great.

I choose the SA-680 because of it being very efficient and also for its power capacity. I Plan to add a 500W amplifier. The mechanical quality of the antenna is excellent. Also, Ron at scorpion antennas was very helpful. Ron and I talked on the phone several times and he also answered all of my emails very quickly. I spent a good deal of time on Alan's mobile HF website K0BG.com which is a tremendous source of good information on mobile HF equipment and installation.

If you are going to purchas a high-performance mobile screw driver antenna, I would recommend the SA-680.

WB0O Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2014 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Scorpion Mobile antenna is built like a tank! ...and after 30 years in the Army, I know tanks :)

I wanted a solid, heavy-duty, low-maintenance antenna for my super-duty 1-ton pickup truck mobile station, and learned about Scorpion Antennas. Wow am I impressed. This thing is tough.

My first highway trip with this antenna, I had 59 reports from about everywhere in the USA, and then had a 57 report from Australia, which is not bad operating barefoot from Missouri. The Aussie asked me what antenna I was using, and after I told him, he said, "I thought you might be using a Scorpion." ...Scorpion's great reputation is making its way around the globe.

My ham friend travelling with me said "damn you, now I have to go out and throw out my (major name-brand) antenna and go buy a Scorpion" ....because he was so impressed.

I use a Kenwood TS480 with a TurboTuner, and this suite works great!!! I just push the PF button on my 480 and the Scorpion is tuned in a matter of seconds and ready for transmit. You don't need an auto-tuner, as the Scorpion comes with a manual controller, but I sure like the quick push button feature with the TurboTuner, as I can safely and quickly tune this antenna while heading down the highway.

Scorpion Antennas always answered my questions very quickly and treated me like I was a VIP.

The install was very easy and straight-forward.
Now I am thinking of adding the home kit, as I believe this will be an awesome field day antenna.

I am absolutely pleased and impressed with my Scorpion antenna!

K8HGY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2014 08:38 Send this review to a friend
add on 160 coil  Time owned: more than 12 months
160 mtr Add on coil will give you excellent performance on any 80 mtr antenna. Just need a longer inductor( 15 turns) for 160 mtrs. works great with Scorpion antennas and other mobile antennas

NS3F Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2014 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Ice and QRM  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an FYI, never 100% happy with my automatic antenna controllers (2 to date of different flavors) for my IC-7000 in a 4WD Toyota Tacoma. Once they were installed and bugs worked out always gave me a hard time at the most inappropriate times. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with technology but darn-it make my life less stressful.

Now for going on three weeks and lots of use my new controller by the name of TARGETTuner from West Mountain Radio has to be the sexist install yet. Not one issue or hangup period! Easy to install and not radio dependent unless you wish memory fast access then you will need an interface cable between the controller and radio from West Mountain.otherwise its fully independent. Hope it hold up to Scorpions standard that I've come to expect.

I'm amazed at Scorpions quality - any other antenna (I've had three motorized over the years) by now would of had to have its motor and drive gears replaced from the amount of use (dare I say abuse) I've put it through.

With clear ice 1/2" thick on windshield, doors, just about everything and having to chisel open the door I started motoring down the road a winter or so back. Second mindfully I flipped the rig on only to hear a pop and lots of crashing ice onto the road. You know the words that flash before you when stupid stuff just happens to us good guys and the ringing from the QRM from the XYL reminding of you having to tell them to "NEVER, EVER DO THIS" when things are frozen outside and your staying home to play radio and she has to go to work in your 4WD doesn't help things either ;)

I pulled over to see what the damage was and by God NOTHING! Couldn't open doors, tailgate, cap tailgate window but this bloody antenna cracked the ice off its self and to this day is still 100% sexy!!! The last controller must of had a 50 amp slow blow fuse is all I can say.

Now if Scorpion Antennas made cars, oh yea!

Spence, NS3F - Never Scare 3 Females in Delaware

VK2HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2014 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Fantistic Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all
I have been using this antenna for three months now it is without a doubt the best mobile antenna i have ever used. While driving in the middle of the city in Sydney i was able to make contact with a UK station G2YT he couldn't believe i was a mobile station. I am only running 100watts with a Kenwood 480 radio. The other great thing about scorpian is the customer service I must have emailed Ron about 20 times with questions about the antenna and the installation and got a reply every time nothing was a problem, he even sourced a cheaper shipping option and when the antenna was shipped from the USA i got it in Sydney Australia 4 days later. If you are thinking of buying a mobile antenna look no further than the Scorpian 680 in the three months i have owned the antenna i have had over 200 contacts all overseas

Paul; VK2HDX

AB1OC Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Top notch mobile HF antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just completed the installation of a Scorpion SA-680 antenna in my Ford F-150 truck. I used a fold over bed bound from Breedlove mounts to complete my installation. I also spent a good bit of time properly grounding and bonding the body and exhaust on the truck. I am using the SA-160 with Scorpion's Cap Hat and 3 ft rod combination. I am using an Icom IC-7000 transceiver running 100w out to complete the setup. You can see pictures and more information about my installation on our blog at stationproject.wordpress.com.

The results that gotten with the Scorpion SA-680 have been outstanding. I am particularly happy with the antenna's performance on 80m and 40m. I am routinely receiving 59+ reports on 80m and 40m from US stations and 57 or better reports from DX stations on all bands.

I choose the SA-680 because of its potential to be very efficient and also for its power handling capacity (I am planning to add a 500W amplifier to the setup in the near future). The mechanical quality of the antenna is excellent. Also, Ron at scorpion antennas was very helpful in getting the installation of the antenna right. I also spent a lot of time on Alan's mobile HF website K0BG.com which is a tremendous source of good information on mobile HF equipment and installation.

If you are planning a high-performance mobile HF installation, I would recommend a close look at the SA-680.