Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar PM2000AM Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar PM2000AM
Palstar PM2000AM Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: The PM2000AM Mobile measures and displays forward power, reflected power, and SWR simultaneously on it's dual movement meter system in the frequency range. Accuracy of the readings is assured because the PM2000AM features a true shielded directional coupler, that on the mobile version is offered as an external unit. The backlit meter can display either peak or average power readings, and has 300 and 3000 watt range settings.
More info: http://palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar PM2000AM.

PY7DJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent but need calibration  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I Agree with Rob (W1AEX) says:

"The meter is rugged and well built. It responds very nicely in both the peak and average reading modes. The back lighting is excellent and the scale is very easy to read at a glance."

--> I choose to use in my BASE STATION because i dont like huge (RG 213) coax cable near to my radio so i put sensor away from radio and the face of meter side by side of radio.

--> AGAIN im make exactly this:

It took about 15 minutes to remove the cover, back plate, apply power, and adjust the VR for proper calibration, and then reassemble it. Because of the circuit board position underneath the meter movement, you need to remove the back plate to be able to access the calibration VR for the low power Peak function. It's accessible at an angle with a standard straight-edge adjustment tool or small screwdriver. It's not a big deal, as long as you have an accurate standard for reference. All the other scales were calibrated perfectly.

73 de PY7DJ

W1AEX Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2012 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent meter, but calibration was incorrect  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The meter is rugged and well built. It responds very nicely in both the peak and average reading modes. The back lighting is excellent and the scale is very easy to read at a glance. I chose the mobile version because I wanted the outboard RF pick-up box that I could put inline where the coax is run.

I can't give this a "5" because the low power Peak calibration was incorrectly set with my unit. When fed with a 100 watt carrier it read only 65 watts. The low power Average setting reported 100 watts correctly. I didn't view this as a huge problem because the Palstar manual provides the information for calibrating each scale. That being said, it's not unreasonable for a buyer to expect their meter to be correctly calibrated right out of the box.

The meter requires +12vdc for the peak power circuitry and back light to function and it comes with the correct 2.1 mm plug connected to 3 feet of red/black wiring for the user to connect to their vehicle or station DC power. There's a spare 2.1 mm plug along with extra cover screws and washers should you need them.

In summary, when it's calibrated, the meter performs flawlessly and accurately reports your forward power (high or low, peak or average) and SWR. It's a keeper.

Rob W1AEX

KI6RSE Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2011 20:36 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT METERS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive owned 3 of these meters in different formats..the desktop , attached to an antenna tuner.. and this one..all the same meter..all excellent..All well within 5% accurate on all scales..never have I had a problem with any of them..Simultaneous Peak and swr readings are excellent..SWR right on target with My SWR analyzer..out of the 3 only 1 issue and that was a loose screw(figures i,d have a screw loose)..Ive read a couple reviews on these of being out of tune tho it must be rare because I havent experienced it yet..And ive heard excellent feedback of Palstar and there customer service..anyway, Highly recommended..

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2010 07:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these and never a problem. Should you have a 50 ohm load very EZ to calibrate if needed. Mine were within 5% and for Ham use thats plenty in my book. No they are not .5% Lab Meters but what do you need anyway,duh???
73 Denny K8KAS

QRPNEW Rating: 2/5 Dec 18, 2010 14:42 Send this review to a friend
a Kit Poor calibration  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I bought two after reading the reviews. I must say they were ordered at different times. When I got the first one it was out of calibration. It was just too expensive to return to the factory for calibration. Ordered a second one same deal, way off on high power. The SWR readings were off on high power as well.

The whole point of buying a factory wattmeter is because you dont have a lab or good reference wattmeter. Secondly most ham grade dummy loads are hardly 50 ohms Jx0 so your calibration is going to be off if you did it yourself!

Buying a unit that is supposed to be calibrated and then be expected to calibrate it yourself is a joke. I am not expecting HP accuracy just plus minus 20%, this meter could not even achieve this.

It would have been a nice meter for the mobile because of the remote head. However its poor accuracy lets it down.

I opened the unit up and the calibration resistors are small and almost impossible to access. The meter movement makes access very difficult. I wonder where you buy long flexible jewelers screwdrivers? Maybe Palstar should supply them because you will need to calibrate this unit when bought from the factory.

Anyway its a kit wattmeter. If you like fixing and calibrating kits get one, otherwise look for some other wattmeter that at least comes properly calibrated from the factory.

The money I spent on two I could of got a N8LP wattmeter, I just expected better from the Palstar brand.

K3GK Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2009 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Look no further  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the PM2000AM with FT-857 and SGC Powercube into a Tarheel 100.
It came well calibrated and works great! I can't remember when I have been more pleased with a purchase.

WD4MTW Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2009 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SWR/Wattmeter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these to solve a unique problem for a marine HF shore station installation that had the control head remoted from the transceiver unit in a custom made console. Palstar worked with us to wire the directional coupler to the distance that we needed to complete the station.
Very nicely made and a quality piece of equipment. It's a shame that they don't make a remote version of the base PM2000. I'd buy two in a heartbeat for my own station.

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2008 07:27 Send this review to a friend
What a difference!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It's a true peak reading meter at an affordable price. I would advise getting this mobile version even for on your desk...you can place the sensor anywhere and the meter anywhere...no heavy cables pulling on your meter.

I was putting out way more on SSB peaks than I believed I was. I have cut back my drive to the amp and still have rated power on peaks. The peak hold function is great.

You will love this meter.

N5EPI Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2008 15:14 Send this review to a friend
This is the best Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the AM model to mount it heads up for my base radio. The coax is out of the way and i have a clear view of the meterat all times. I did a test with a bird PEP meter and the Palstar was the same at 10w 20w 50w 100w 500w 1K. With the cross meters it is so easy to keep a eye on your swr and power out. I am going to buy 1 more for my car. At $149.00 it cant be beat. I have a bird 43 but you have to carry a box of slugs not with the Palstar.1.8-60MHz. The peak hold it great. It is faster then the bird hand down.
Thanks Tim N5EPI

AH6RR Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2008 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After having 2 Autek WM-1 die on me in a 2 year period I thought I would try the Palstar PM2000AM. Wow what a great meter built like a tank and just as good as most Birds only it has a Peak and Peak hold setting. You can not go wrong with a Palstar meter. I use mine in the shack and the remote sensor is the way to go.