Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | CG-5000 Automatic Antenna Tunner 10 - 800 WATT PEP Help

Reviews Summary for CG-5000 Automatic Antenna Tunner 10 - 800 WATT PEP
CG-5000 Automatic Antenna Tunner 10 - 800 WATT PEP Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $899
Description: Covers all HF spectrum from 1.8-30 Mhz continuously just using a 8 meters or longer wire antenna. 800W PEP max. power output.
More info: http://www.cgantenna.com

You can write your own review of the CG-5000 Automatic Antenna Tunner 10 - 800 WATT PEP.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2013 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, wish it was still in production  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is just a quickie.
I have just reconnected my cg5000 after a period of using the new 1.5kw Palstar which I have just sold.
Everything working perfectly as before, very fast tuning.
Thankyou CG
Robert
G3RCE

GW4DVB Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2013 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Lasted 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good ATU which has served me well for 3 years..

Sadly it has recently developed a fault which means that it will only auto tune once - if you change frequency or band it fails to respond.

I tried to get it repaired in the UK but no one was interested so it is on it's way to Belgium for possible repair.

Fingers crossed!!!

ON8ON Rating: 0/5 May 22, 2013 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Great ATU ... but zero after market service in Belgium  Time owned: more than 12 months
The zero/5 is not for the ATU, because he have working fine over 4 years to tune my 20" vertical and then my non-resonant rotable dipole from 18" with hat cap. Tune from 160m to 6m. With 450w pep and 250w digi. After big rain impossible to tune some bands. I put it down from the tower and check inside ... I find one relay in strange shape ( smelt ), when i have replace this one i have recover fews bands. But not all ... I have Email to the company in China, answer ... they said to send the ATU in Belgium in a office to send it back for repair in China. But this persoon after my call said to wait because he don't now what to do ... New Email in China and nothing ...

I have put back one of my two CG3000 and work very fine ... but limited power.

SO for the CG3000 5/5 - CG5000 3/5
but 0/5 for the CG company !

73 de ON8ON de YVES

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2013 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Very useful outdoor atu  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm going to make this very brief.
I've used this tuner for 3 years now.
It has been most useful.
It has never failed me yet.
Very reliable.
I just wish this unit had not been discontinued.
I'm always worried about possibly damaging it but sofar
it carries on very reliably.

Robert G3RCE

ZL2HAM Rating: 1/5 Oct 19, 2011 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Good concept; poor execution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a CG-5000 directly from the factory rep. When it arrived, it did not include the remote control box, even though it was included in the price they quoted. I installed it on a pipe next to my 10m vertical, and ran a control wire to the shack.

At about 50W PEP on 80m, the tuner would initially tune and produce a reasonable VSWR, and appeared stable on some frequencies at 500W. However, after moving about 150KHz and re-tuning at low power, a few minutes of use at 500W (just long enough to have initiated a QSO) would cause the tuner would randomly de-tune, and produce an VSWR of 20:1 or more. Fortunately, my PowerMaster meter un-keyed my amp, so it wasn't damaged. Repeated attempts at tweaking the setup had no effect.

The manufacturer was very slow (3 weeks+) in responding to my questions, and ultimately agreed to let me return it -- however, I had to pay for shipping (to China), and they charged a 20% restocking fee. The refund was paid about 2.5 months after I returned it, and only after I sent repeated reminders.

If you decide to try one for yourself, I highly recommend using a dealer with a good return policy as an intermediary, rather than going direct.

G3RID Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2010 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Produced in China by CG Antennas this auto-tuner is rated at 800W p.e.p. and covers 1.8 - 30 Mhz. The only connections required are 12V d.c. and RF from the transmitter/linear. An optional remote unit is available for those who wish to have lock and tune information.

My tuner is fed via 110 feet of RG8 coax from the shack and is mounted vertically on an alloy pole driven into the earth and secured using the two stainless steel U bolts provided. Unfortunately, the location of the SO239 connector and the power socket on the unit are very close to the lower pre-drilled mounting holes which can make securing the lower U bolt a little tricky.

The ground lug is connected to a system of buried radials (approx 60) and three ground rods. The porcelain antenna terminal is connected to my end-fed inverted L antenna which is 96 feet long.

On first applying RF at low power the tuner quickly found a match on all amateur frequencies between 1.8 and 30 Mhz. The SWR is less than 1.8 - 1 throughout except on 160 metres where it stubbornly refuses to go below 2.0 - 1. Perhaps this would fall to a lower value if a longer antenna was used. Once initial tuning has taken place the settings are stored in memory for future use. Tuning from memory is then almost instantaneous. I have used the CG-5000 on all bands (including 5Mhz) at the full UK legal power (200W on 5Mhz, 400W elsewhere) with no problems.

Some adverts for the CG-5000 suggest operation is possible on 50Mhz. I did attempt this and managed to obtain a matched SWR reading of
1.3 - 1. Although this may sound satisfactory, tests with local stations on 6 metres show that the transmitted signal strength is 4 S-units down compared to when the tuner is bypassed. This suggests the power is being dissipated as heat in the tuner's components rather than being radiated. To be fair, CG do not claim the CG-5000 works on 50Mhz.

In conclusion, this auto-tuner represents excellent value for money. At the time of writing, the obvious alternative would be the SGC SG235 which, in England, costs almost twice as much. My only criticism of the CG-5000 is the poor quality user's handbook and lack of any circuit diagram.

OH3UK Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2009 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use on all band  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had used a couple of years CG2000 Automatic antenna tuner. It is also called a coupler. Max. power of CG2000 is 150W. I used it "barefoon" with TS-480SAT. Antenna tuner of TS-480 was not in use. I see no idea to use two successive tuners. I found that CG was coming out with a high power model. Its max power was 800W PEP and 250W CW. I placed an order because 600W 4CX800 linear was under construction. I had to wait five months to get the tuner. The factory may have been closed during olympic games. At the moment all models are available from the shelf here in Finland.
The use of high power model does not differe from
earlier models. You must tune using low power. When this is done you can raise power. I tune first without a linear using 15W from the transceiver. You can tune the linear using still low power fom transceiver.
When this is done you can raise the power of the transceiver to 35W which is normal and maximum value. Output is 600W in my case. It depends of plate voltage.
CG5000 does not work on 6m or 160m. The reason may be my long radiator (25m), or maybe not. CG2000 was working fine from 6m to 160m.
Tuner is selective
When the tuner is in tuned condition, the S-meter shows about the same value as it shows when I use inverted-V on 40m and 80m. If the tuner not tuned S-meter shows much less.
Tuner is expensive
You could buy a small beam with same amount of money. However this is an all band antenna. It is an invisible antenna, if needed. A random wire to nearest tree or pole.
It needs a good ground. Follow istructions of the manual.
It may be dangerous.
Nobody, any human being or a pet may not touch the antenna element. 100W is more than enough to cause serious burns. It is RF and perhaps does not kill but burns may be result if not protected crefully.
Noise
The tuner generates computer type noise. It does not cover whole band but blocks the freqency just in use. Who makes a filter to reduce this noise.
Warning
If you change CG2000/CG3000 to CG5000 be careful with +12DC. Connectors are same but the connection is different. Manual has good adwise: RED wire is +12V. A change has to be made.