Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-728 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-728
ICOM IC-728 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $700us aprox or1100 canadian
Description: all mode hf 160-10
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/amateur/ic-728.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-728.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2003 01:57 Send this review to a friend
basic but bulletproof  Time owned: more than 12 months
ive had this rig since 1994,and have never had a bit of problems with it.its user friendly,good layout,good features and good price tag.i have kenwood and yaesu products,and think this rig is built like a tank.ive used and abbused this radio to full extent.no worries!!! i will never sell this radio.i have friends with ft847s and 990s that cant believe the ears it has and the clarity in the audio.i dont hear of to many of these radios out there,but if you ever find a used one buy it!!!!

K0EMT Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2001 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Nice solid-state rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 728 is my home station secondary rig,
it was my first HF rig.

With an AT-160, the 500hz CW filter, the FM module and Time Wave DSP-599zx I find it rivals many of the newer ~$1200 rigs. (The AT-160 will match where some of the newer rigs won't!)

When I get tired of all of the myriad of "menus" and buttons of the newer rig,
the 728 is a breath of fresh air to operate. I also like the fact that an
enterprising ham can fix this rig themselves.

With the stock mic I get reports of "communications quality" audio.

The audio *does* hiss, the dsp unit takes care of this.

It does *not* have a built in keyer. I use a
Super CMOS III (which is better than many built in keyers anyway!)

It is not a big rig. Check out my eHam profile and you can see a picture of it beside a Kenwood TS-570SG. However, it is a heavy rig.

For a *basic* rig it has some nice features.
For example Pass Band Tuning (aka PBT, IF-shift),
RIT, audio compression, pre-amp, AGC fast/slow,
Noise Blanker and Attenuator. It has dual VFO's and can operate split.

There are a number of matching amplifiers,
speakers and Antenna transmatches available for this rig.

The free software for the IC-706 can be used to
program the few ~20 memories in this rig.
This rig uses the same CW filter as the 706.

Overall, a nice first rig, field day rig, or secondary/backup rig.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2000 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Hot 'little guy' Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this basic transceiver back in 1993. I was surprised with the sensitive and selective receiver. The received audio is crystal clear without the usual 'cheap radio' intermod! This radio is a solid step up from the IC-725! The QST review (02/93) proves my findings. Remember, this is 1993 and are good specifications today. MDS= -137, BDR= 116/123 and DR= 91/92. Another plus is the clean transmitter specifications. IMD= -39 (3rd) & -40 (5th). Spurious output is better than -50. The old bipolar finals at 13.8 vdc with regard to IMD outperform the new MOS-FETs most radios are using today. Recommended with a 5 rating based on simular 'basic' transceivers.

KI9A Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2000 22:08 Send this review to a friend
nice starter rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 728 since 1993, & have made about 18,000 contest QSO's on it. I have since retired it! While not the ideal contest rig, it served its purpose well while I was in process of buying house, raising kid, ect. It is selective, & the PBT works well. It rejects close in strong signals as well as my 751A, & new 746. Downsides are NO VOX! Thats about it. If you find one cheap, snap it up, you won't be dissapointed.

K6LO Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2000 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Oops...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a quick correction to an error in my review. I was making a production comparision to the Yaesu FT-847. Wrong. I meant to type FT-747. The chassis are nearly identical.

K6LO Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2000 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Reliable but lackluster  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned an IC-728 for about a year. It was a nice rig with no major problems. Mine was equipped with the 250 hz Icom CW filter, was quite selective in CW as well as SSB, and the receiver handled strong signals fairly well. The passband tuning worked very well.

Transmit audio reports were good, and the speech processor was effective. It really sounded great on 80 meter AM!

Downsides: The radio had CW break-in (The AES catalog called it full QSK, but it was not)but SSB VOX required an accessory box. The receiver was pretty quiet in and of itself, but like a lot of the modern gear - DAMN! - the audio chain hissssssed like a frightened cat. Icom compounded the problem by inducing severe (!!) high frequency roll-off. The result was indistinct signal recovery, and that is why I sold the radio. Note, I use a Heil headset, and am pretty sensitive to noisey audio. You may not notice it on a speaker, but you'll get listening fatigue very quickly with a set of 'phones on.

There were some mods for the IC-728/725 in QST a few years back. I installed the one intended to help the IF/Audio hiss, and roll-off, but did not find it very effective.

One more irritation: The fan came on during TX, and it was noisey.

It's a shame about the rx audio, because otherwise it would be a really nice little radio.
It's really intended as a mobile radio, and I should have known better when I bought it for fixed station use.

By the way. The innards and chassis mechanicals are remarkably similar to the Yaesu FT-847. Only the embedded software package was different. I suspect they both had these entry level radios outsourced for them from the same manufacturer.

VE3TWM Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2000 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Time-tested Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine since I purchased it new in 1991. It is a solid Field Day performer, participating every year with good results. It is a basic HF rig that is very easy to use and has a classy appearance. I particularly like the analog S-Meter and the feel of the tuning dial. The display is black characters on an amber background which gives excellent visibility during portable operation. The sensitivity is good but the radio is not quite as selective as I'd like it to be during crowded contest conditions.
Overall, I would strongly recommend this unit to those looking for a basic HF transceiver that is good enough to be used as the primary rig in a modest station.