Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Blue Star Antennas 6 Meter 4 Elements Yagi Beam Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Blue Star Antennas 6 Meter 4 Elements Yagi Beam Antenna
Blue Star Antennas 6 Meter  4 Elements Yagi Beam Antenna Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $100.00
Description: Covers 6 Meter Ham Band.
Maximum Gain 9 dBd Front / Back 20dB
SWR > 1.5:1

* Easy to set up and use. Delivers outstanding results.
* Computer designed, SWR tunable.
* Can be horizontally or vertically polarized,
* Uses standard 50 ohm coax with PL-259 terminals.
* Heavy Duty, weatherproof construction:
* Boom is machined from 6061 T-6 Structural Square Aluminum Tube.
* Elements are machined from 3/8" Solid aluminum round 6061 T-6 stock and attached to the boom with stainless steel hardware.
* Clamps to masts up to 1 1/2" in diameter.
* Adjust for any frequency from 50 MHz. to 54 MHz.
* Mounts Horizontal or Vertical
* Elements grounded for lighting protection
* Approx. Turning Radius 80 inches
* Power Legal Limit
* Approx. Wind Surface 2 SQ Feet

Antenna is optimized for number of elements and size.
Use for 50-54 Mhz, Ham radio, or Packet Radio.
More info: http://bluestarantennas.com/sales//catalog/index.php

You can write your own review of the Blue Star Antennas 6 Meter 4 Elements Yagi Beam Antenna.

N6RSX Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2016 09:58 Send this review to a friend
bomb proof and works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the price, this is a steal. I replaced a Cushcraft AR-6 vertical with this antenna and began working DX with every opening. I have this improperly mounted about 4 ft below my HF tribander. Apparently it has had little negative effect because SWR is nil and other performance appears unaffected. Highly recommended for the money.

AC8HU Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2013 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not quite 2 years ago, I was in the market for a reasonably priced (read - cheap) directional antenna for 6 meters. I debated on anywhere from 3 to 5 elements with the deciding factor really being length in the end - it just didn't seem feasible to put up anything much over 10 feet long. After nearly going with a Cushcraft 3 element yagi, I decided almost on a whim to try this $90 antenna.

Boy, was I glad I did! Now, to be fair I've never used other 6 meter yagis, but in terms of value for the money, it would be hard to beat this antenna. I simply assembled it as the instructions said (didn't replace the SO-239 or mess with the gamma match), didn't even bother to check the SWR or anything, and put it up about 25' AGL on a rooftop tripod on a one-story house. Fed with plain ol' RG-8, about 85' of it, and put 100 watts into it.

I know people sometimes say "you can't really judge an antenna by the contacts made with it" but that's the only real way I have to judge it. I have VUCC #2107 with this yagi, now up to 150+ grids and 125 confirmed. 8 countries including Guatemala, Mexico, and the Canary Islands from EN81, and 41 states - all in about a year and a half. 1st place in the state of Ohio in several recent contests for low power/3 band single op. And frequently during openings I am one of the first and last stations heard. I'm just starting with FSK441 meteor-scatter and it appears this antenna will also do a decent job there as well.

Again, for the money, this is an AWESOME deal. If you have no other yagis in a stack, a simple TV rotator will handle it, it's light enough to put up by yourself easily, and despite what I thought looked like a less than sturdy method of attaching the elements (I thought sure they'd shear off at the threads after some time), it's withstood snow, ice, rain, wind (easily 60+ mph), heat (105F), and cold (-10F) and still works FB with no mishaps. If I have any criticism it's that F/B and F/S ratios could be better, but for a short boom 4 element yagi, you can't expect much in that department.

Do yourself a favor, if you're considering this antenna, just do it. Put it together as the instructions say, put it up, and get on the air. If the band is open, you'll make contacts, and in bunches with just a little effort. If the band is dead it still has proven to easily work for me out 100+ miles on ground wave despite only being 25' off the ground.

KG8CO Rating: 3/5 Jun 28, 2013 11:37 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Put up the antenna a couple years ago, and it seemed to work ok, though I have to admit tuning the gamma watch was very touchy.
I noticed this spring that one of the elements had broken off at the boom.
When I first put it up, that issue ran across my mind, and I figured it was going to happen sooner or later.
I ended up taking the antenna down, and replaced it with a 2nd hand M2 6 meter antenna.

AH6OY Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2012 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The website link to their company is now http://www.bluestarantennas.com/home/index.php
The current specific antenna link is this link.

Bought mine 2 years ago. The elements are solid bar threaded on one end. The aluminum used is very soft and I would of liked a harder alloy so that the threads wouldn't be so weak.

It's a good deal for being small and portable. With the way the threads are weak I wouldn't depend on the system being useable for a lot of deployments. When I packed the antenna away for storage I was sure to protect the threads from damage. They can be deformed with not much pressure.

WB0HCH Rating: 3/5 Jul 28, 2011 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Firm & Definate Maybe  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For as long as I can remember, there has been a tendency on the part of ham equipment manufacturers to market products that are just good enough, somewhere between poor and ok. This product is no exception which is too bad because it really has the potential to be a very excellent product. That said, there simply isn’t another comparable product out there for anywhere near the price.

The concept and design of the product is excellent. It could be a truly great product except that the fit and finish is downright poor along with an overall lack of attention to detail. However, once assembled and the various problems are corrected, it is a nice heavy duty product.

I purchased a pair of these for a stack. First of all, the boom to antenna brackets are designed for 1.5” mast. Due to the increased wind load from stacking, I made up a couple sets of brackets to accommodate 1.75” thick-walled mast. No big deal. However, if I had planned on using 1.5” mast, I would have been terribly disappointed with the factory brackets. Most of the bracket assembly was great but the mast saddles were absolutely hideous. They were a mass of sharp edges and burrs.

The boom splice was surprisingly rugged and effective – Very tight and no wobble or sag.

The elements are manufactured from solid 3/8” aluminum rod stock with one end threaded to screw into a coupler located inside of the boom. The little plastic plugs used to secure the couplers in place inside the boom are ingenious. Don’t throw away these plugs if you ever plan to disassemble this antenna! The threads on the ends of the elements were not de-burred well, especially at the ends and some work with a die & a wire wheel was required to ensure that they would start straight when mounting them to the boom.

Other reviewers have complained that the sleeve for the gamma match was flimsy and easily bent. Perhaps, but once securely clamped to the element, it doesn’t seem too bad. Unfortunately, the gamma match has other far more pressing problems. The gamma match clamps which were manufactured from aluminum bar stock and looked to be heavy duty, turned out to be a poor design. It’s difficult to describe, but there just wasn’t enough metal after the 3/16” half-moon was machined from each half of the clamp. When the clamp was tightened, the thinnest section would bend and it was impossible to achieve a tight, secure fit. Also, Phillips head screws were used to tighten the clamps which didn’t allow one to apply sufficient torque to the clamp. I ended up cutting plates from 1/2” X 1/8” stock and applying one to each side of the original clamp to give them enough strength to prevent bending and replaced the Phillips fasteners with stainless bolds and nuts. They now grip the element and the gamma sleeve like a vice and are far superior to the sheet metal straps that other yagi manufacturers seem to like to use.

Inside of the gamma match tube is another story. Where in years past manufacturers would use a coaxial cable center conductor & dielectric to feed the gamma tube, this antenna used a 12AWG solid wire with a microscopically thin nylon jacket. Good enough for 100 watts or so, but hardly up to QRO standards. I ended up replacing this with a length of HV test probe wire with a 10KV rated jacket.

The inside end of the gamma tube has no provision to seal the tube to prevent invasion by those nasty little tower spiders so the end of the tube should be sealed with either coax seal mastic or a small glob of RTV after tuning is complete. While I was at it, I replaced the factory SO-239 which was of the mobile antenna/CB variety with a standard bulkhead unit more suitable for QRO.

These are not a plug & play kits. A drill press, bench grinder, sawzall and various taps and dies are handy to assemble these into usable products.

These were time consuming upgrades but now the antennas are virtually indestructible and should stay together for many years.

Steve
NE0U

WD4AB Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Follow-up Review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a follow-up review to my May review. If I could rate higher than 5 I would. I have made over 1000 contacts since May with this antenna, my reports are great 59+ or better 99% of the time and reception is superb. My swr is flat and has not moved since the antenna was put up. Currently I am copying much better than a couple of hams in my area that have bigger beams and the sent signal reports are better too. I have been amazed by the performance of this relatively inexpensive antenna. Just google my call and see or look me up every evening on the Dx Sherlock site and you will see my contacts. Canada, Europe,the Azores all over the US including the west coast, South and Central America all the way down to Argentina, the Carribean etc etc. If I can hear them I can work them. I will recommend to all my friends.

W5JET Rating: 4/5 Aug 28, 2010 08:35 Send this review to a friend
OK+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It was cheap and it works well so I guess I'm happy. It's made out of very light weight aluminum which bends pretty easy. I had to rebuild some of the parts of the matching assy to make it work right. It took about an hour to mount regular female 259 in place of the supplied "feed assy," soldering the wire to the back.. I don't expect anymore problems.

KD8GKR Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2010 10:06 Send this review to a friend
SOLID  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Antenna= 5 best priced beam in it class, solid built

Customer Service= 5 Great, Quick Response, shipped part out same day, NO charge

I found this antenna on ebay from bob-and-linda. The antenna is very well built. I have made many contact with this beam only at 25', soon to be put up permanently on the tower. For the price of this antenna($90 on ebay), you cant go wrong with an antenna that is directional, versus loops that cost the same. If your looking for a smaller 6 meter beam, please take a look at this antenna, it fits the bill. Take a look at videos of this antenna in use, search KD8GKR on youtube. Thanks for a great product Bluestar antenna....

K4KD Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2010 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Well built antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my 4 elm 6 meter beam last week. Had a minor problem with one of the elements. Emailed customer service and got an answer back within 30 minutes.

I was going to homebrew a 6 meter beam but would have spent more money and a lot of time. I am glad I found the blue star web site.

The antenna was easy to assemble and even easier to adjust gamma match. The elements are 3/8" solid aluminum. The hardware is stainless steel.

The antenna is up at 25 feet. I have only been using it for three days and have worked every station I have called including a VE3 at 1150 miles and ground wave as far as 125 miles.

WA2QIC Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2009 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First - performance rating is 5.0. Bought this antenna as a light duty portable FD/contest 6m beam (but I may wind up getting another and mounting at the home QTH).

A few minor gripes:

First, like just about all antenna manufacturers these days, the assembly instructions were not the best. Not as bad as some, but certainly not in the top tier. Room for improvement - and not hard or expensive to do. However, having said this, I did assemble the antenna correctly. But I can see how a green-horn to beam assembly could easily incorrectly assemble the antenna. Note the antenna matched the documented swr projection with the various gamma match settings included. So tune-in after assembly was a slam dunk.

From a contesting portability standpoint - I like the fact that the boom comes on two sections with a splice at the mid-point/mast mount bracket. Makes it easier to transport to a remote operating site, and reassembly is not difficult.

Deburring could have been a bit better, as some, but not all, of the through holes the elements screwed into were blocked by burrs. Recommend having a de-burring tool handy to address this as needed.

Overall this is a solid antenna that will stand the test of time, but the gamma match is a bit flimsy. I don't know why Blue Star settled for the tubing they did, but it is so easily bent...I can see a larger bird landing on the thing and bending it. How much would it have cost to use a more rigid tubing for the gamma configuration? Or perhaps two to three non-conducting UV resistance cross-bars to hold the assembly in place once set? One other note - it would be nice if Blue Star offered a 2" mast mount option. The 1.5" mount didn't work well for us this FD as we stacked beams on a 2" mast and had to improvise a solution (but hec, that's what FD is for, right?)

As I said, I am already contemplating buying a 2nd, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend to someone looking for a 4 element 6m beam.

PS. Would also like to see an N-connector option for this ant.

Of course, I have to follow the eHam rating system, but my 'true' rating, factoring in my minor gripes, is 4.5/5.0.