Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | GHD GN207A Help

Reviews Summary for GHD GN207A
GHD GN207A Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$349.95
Description: Bug
More info: http://www.mtechnologies.com

You can write your own review of the GHD GN207A.

KD5MJJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2008 08:26 Send this review to a friend
I am Delighted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Participation in the SKCC ( Straight Key Century Club) over the past 2 years has sent me on a quest for using a bug and refining my sending with one.

Earlier this year I acquired a new Vibroplex Anniversary Bug which is a better quality bug than my 1976 Original. The Annie has been enjoyable and I think I have it under control at about 15 WPM with a Vibroplex Varispeed. A great key for me.

I finally decided it was time to try a new GHD Mechanical Bug. One arrved from Morse Express in good order in time for some practice before the SKCC 2 hour Sprint This week.

I spent several hours tinkering and practicing with it. I can slow the dits down to 15 wpm ish sending with the standard ( Larger) weight.

The appearance is striking. Everything screams precision . The parts are refined and elegant. The geometry is perfect IMHO. The chrome looks better than you can imagine.

The bug uses a ball bearing pivot. This means it is nearly frictionless. The only friction is what the springs crank in.

The precision, the absence of drag, and absence of friction gives a smoothness I have only experienced with the new high end paddles ( Schurr Profi 2 for example ).

In use, it requires a light touch. I found that I get better sending if I don't slap it around like my other bugs.

It almost demands using finger tip movement like that used with a high end paddle. A small amount of force and a lower velocity movement produces perfect dots. The dash side is the same. Easy does it Ham Fist !

I use the same Bug rocking wrist motion but with finger tips barely touching the finger pieces. The side to side hand movement is smaller than with my Vibroplex. The motion is smaller, slower, and the force is very light in comparison with the Vibroplex.

Now, if I can only refine my timing and technique to do justice to this piece of perfection !

I used the GHD in the SKCC two hour sprint. After an hour I felt that my sending was at about the same level as with my Vibroplex. There is still room for improvement though !

Is it better than a Vibroplex ? I don't know. I know that it is very different and I love the precise movement and operation. It demands a lighter touch ! It is beautiful to look at !!

Would I buy it again ?

It is not cheap but it is at a level of perfection and quality that only comes at a price.

Hank
K5ICW

K4ZZT Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2008 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a high quality bug! It is smooth, the lever pivots are mounted in ball bearings and adjustment is not any harder than other bugs. The contacts are adjustable to make them meet perfectly. Adjustment screws could use a finer pitch because a very small movement will make a big difference. The finger paddles are too closely spaced for my taste, I would like to have them widely spaced like a vibroplex. They made this bug to be quieter and it is. Overall, this is a great bug. I don't consider it any better than my vibroplex though, just different and very good.

NU7T Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2007 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Smooth and Quiet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This bug is not shipped with a weight. I added the large GHD weight. With this weight the speed range is greater than other keys without adjusting other settings. It will operate nicely around 15 WPM to 35 WPM by sliding the weight.
Initial adjusting is easy. This bug has a light touch. Do not pound on it for then it will be the quietest and lightest bug you have used. The two way adjustable damper is silent. This bug does not move about on my formica desk.
The additional lever for the "dah" movement does create a bit of a spongy feel. After a few QSOs, you don't notice it.