Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Pyramid PSV-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Pyramid PSV-300
Pyramid PSV-300 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $165.60
Description: Fully Regulated Low Ripple 30-Amp Switching DC Power Supply
More info: http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=PSV300

You can write your own review of the Pyramid PSV-300.

KB7QKS Rating: 0/5 Dec 21, 2013 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Fire Hazard  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If the only thing wrong with this supply was RFI, that is an easy fix with 1 toroid core, 2 .01 caps and 2 toroid chokes. The real problem is the line cord has the power switch on the NEUTRAL instead of the HOT side. This allows the line voltage to be present ALL THE TIME. When this supply dies, and it will at some time (I had two go to supply heaven), it dies violently. Caps explode, flames, smoke, ... Then parts of circuits short to ground so turning off supply does no good due to HOT still connected.

AA2DK Rating: 2/5 Jan 10, 2013 10:47 Send this review to a friend
RF Generator for Free!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OMG.. I never realized what an RF noise source this supply was before I put it within earshot of my HF rig. The supply itself is OK (the fan is annoyingly loud), but it's going to the bottom of my shoe closet soon because of the hash..

KD2AXZ Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2012 15:28 Send this review to a friend
RF noise on HF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When the unit warms up (a few hours usage at normal indoor temperatures, running a 25W power radio non continuously) it produces terrible RF noise on HF, S9+. On a recent setup I sat the thing in a window to expose it to the winter outdoor temps, this kept the noise down.

Also the fan itself is quite audibly loud, and it always runs.

If these things don't affect you, then it's cheap.

KJ6BSO Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2011 16:37 Send this review to a friend
You could do worse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pros:

Inexpensive (l$55 US online as I write this in July 2011)

Electrical noise is acceptable, although since I use mine strictly to power my VHF radios because my HF rig has a built-in power supply, I may not be the best judge of that.

Cons:

Noisy fan—it really gets annoying after about 20 minutes.

Cheap power switch, starting to get a little dodgy after two years of not particularly hard usage.

Does not put out it's full advertised amperage. Only good for 20A continuous rather than 30A.

Binding posts are not large enough and are front-mounted, which makes for extra wiring clutter.

Summary:

Not the best power supply on the market but for less than sixty bucks U.S., it's a good deal.

Bypass the power switch and build a box with a standard wall switch in it. That will not only take care of the cheap switch on the unit but allow you to put it somewhere out of the way so you don't have to listen to the fan or worry about the wires.

TSHOWS Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2011 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Overall Good Switching Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Pyramid PSV-300 power supply for over 1 1\2 years and have to say it has performed well for me. I agree the fan is a little louder than I would like, but not so loud that it is unbearable. I run my radio and a 150 watt or 200 watt amp with no problems. Maybe I just got a good one, but for the price I am very pleased.

KD0KRK Rating: 0/5 Apr 10, 2011 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Get something better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I didn't heed the warning from the other reviews and I wish I did. This supply does not give nearly as much current as it advertises, which probably has something to do with the arcing I hear inside the power supply whenever I put a bigger load (such as a 50 W mobile radio) on it!

Learn from my mistakes, spend more money and get a better power supply.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2011 06:09 Send this review to a friend
FB for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got a PSV-200.. that would NOT put out 20 amps!!!
So go the PSV-300 for $66 including shipping.
Fan noisy, puts out 20 amps no problem, can't hear any RF noise from it. Tucked it in a corner. Makes less noise than my old Astron 35 amp supply!
Have an awful lot of items in shack with noisy fans!!!
For the price, can't beat it. We will see how long it lasts.

KR8ZY Rating: 0/5 Jan 1, 2011 07:44 Send this review to a friend
I would spend the extra money on a better unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very disappointed.

Out of the box, I was getting S7-9 RFI from the supply. Sent it back, they fixed it stating it was a loose solder.

Now, it's only giving me S5 RFI.

I'm going to try the suggestions from earlier reviews (star washers, clamp on ferrites, etc).

Otherwise, I'm going to junk it as a bad learning experience and buy a really good one!

KD8GTP Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2010 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over 2 yrs. It powers a FT-897, 100w. The toggle switch failed after 6 months, I understand this is a common problem with Pyramid supplies. I got a replacement for $3 and have been fine since. Yes the fan is loud, so I keep mine under the desk to minimize the noise. Would I buy another one, No. But as long as this one works I'll use it.

KD0KZO Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2010 14:09 Send this review to a friend
not bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this for 85.00 shipped to me. it really works good for a cheap unit. the fan is loud but not as bad as everyone says, I just put it about 20 ft from my alinco dx 70t and don't really notice it. for the price it can't be beat.