Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Pyramid PSV-300 Help

Reviews Summary for Pyramid PSV-300
Pyramid PSV-300 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.3/5 MSRP: $165.60
Description: Fully Regulated Low Ripple 30-Amp Switching DC Power Supply
More info: http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itempage.asp?model=PSV300

You can write your own review of the Pyramid PSV-300.

KE7ADU Rating: 2/5 Apr 5, 2010 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Loud fan / low cost  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For about $70 this PS would not be a bad deal if the fan was not so loud. The supply works as is should. It's a bit heavy compared to my Jetstream. I returned to Amazon after a week because of the fan noise. It's louder than my AL-811 amp.

NH7O Rating: 3/5 May 9, 2008 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Not that bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These are cheap units, and so you would expect a less than excellent device. That said, it does do a satisfactory job given the following mods:

* These Pyramid switching supplies need a bigger output cap. I found the efficiency was low (<60%) when used with my HF 100w transceiver. I put a 1 farad cap across the output terminals, and that brought the efficiency up quite a bit, as well as improving the regulation. You could do with less than 1 farad, it's what I had.

* The fan runs continuously, even if not needed. I put a series resistor in the fan lead to reduce its speed and noise down to a small and unnoticeable level. Running an HF transceiver, it remains cool. Put a filter over the air intake to keep the dust out.

* I placed star washers under all the sheet metal screws to make sure that the steel case pieces were electrically connected through the paint. Otherwise, the case can radiate noise.

* The AC line radiates a bit, and if you can't get the noise reduction you need with clamp on ferrites, then put a "brute force" line filter in the case (shown in ARRL handbooks). This makes for a quiet supply.

I've had mine for a year and it is going strong.

N2VRG Rating: 0/5 Dec 1, 2007 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Went up in Smoke  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The PSV-300 powered my 50W mobile 2m/440 radio for less than a minute on full power, then it went up in smoke (literally). Pyramid claims the PSV-300 supplies 30A max continuous(according to the manual). However, their tech support told me that the manual was wrong, it only supports 20A max continuous. It is probably even less than this. The power supply might be OK for a 5W handheld, but nothing more.