Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-130SE Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-130SE
Kenwood TS-130SE Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: (missing—add Description)
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ts130se.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-130SE.

AI4WC Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2013 06:59 Send this review to a friend
It's a CLASSIC!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I last reviewed this radio in 2009 and my comments still apply. I have since obtained a Yaesu FT-950 and FT-817 and my love of this radio increases. Teamed up with my Kenwood TS-130 antenna tuner (another CLASSIC - I have two) and a well-tuned Hamstick dipole, my TS-130 is simple, quiet and rock-solid. If you can find a good one, have it checked by Clif at AAVID and you will love it. Mine is NOT for sale. It's a wonderful classic performer from the good old days of simple ham radio. Don't let this classic go by the wayside!

G4IKP Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2013 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Spirit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just below, K2LGO sums this radio up very nicely when he says " In The Spirit Of The TS-830s".

That is about as good a compliment anyone can give to a radio.

You won't find a bigger fan of the TS-830s than myself - however it cannot be operated on 12 volts which for portable operation is somewhat a major drawback.

The TS130s or SE ( I dont know the difference ) was introduced by Trio/Kenwood well over 30 years ago. well before it became the fashion to clutter up a radio with Muppet features like menues and flashing lights, that are more likely to give you an epileptic fit than improve your operating enjoyment.

The radio has a perfect front panel layout, I can hear and work everything I need to on this radio without ever having to dive into a cyber control interface.

Digital frequency displays are a must, but Radios are also much better if they also have analog frequency displays and conventional moving coil meters. The TS-130 has all of these features.

Don't get me wrong - when I fall off the perch, its still the TS-830s that I will carry along with me into the next world, but just in case they don't have mains power I will have the TS-130s nicely tucked away under the other arm.

After all if you have both a TS-830s and the "Spirit of one" - you will not require a "Seance" to communicate back to this world.

Ian - G4IKP.

AI4HO Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2012 11:49 Send this review to a friend
First Impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First impressions..I believe that first impression play a strong role in our every day lives. When you meet someone for the first time, how he/she presents themselves, what your first impression is of that person. Also take first impressions in the ham radio hobby..who we meet, our first impression of that old timer your first impression of your local radio club, do they welcome you with open arms say thanks for coming, tells us about yourself.
First impressions hold true with amateur radio gear as well. Take the Kenwood TS-130SE as a prime example. I bought this rig at the Melbourne, Fl. ham fest yesterday for a really good price. I just recently sold off an entire amateur radio station piecemeal. First there was the Yaesu FT-450AT, nice rig, for its price range had enough bells and whistles for the average ham. Then the Ameritron AL-811H amp, 800 watts out, nice tube amp, damn near bullet proof. Then.. my pride and joy, saved a long time to get my Palstat AT2K roller inductor antenna tuner. Its all gone, which kiknda left me in a bit of a pickle. What happens if god forbid mt Icom IC-756 ProIII has a problem and needs to be sent in for repair? No back up rig to speak of. Yea, there is my Yaesu FT-817ND QRP rig, but I needed something capabke of at least 100 watts, due to the fact that I am net control for the Treasure Coasters net on 7.153MHZ. Every Wednesday I have the honor to host the net drom my station here in Vero Beach, Fl. To that end I was looking, but I wasn't looking for a decent back up rig.
I knew I wanted something solid state, I didn't need ALL the bells and whistles, but it needed to be in decent condition, be a basic 100 watt transceiver, most of all..it had to be inexpensive.

Walking through the aisle at the hamfest yesterday, I found what I was looking for. One of my first choices was an Icom IC-745, nice rig, but it did have some issues, while not expensive cures, would have been time consuming as it would have to have been sent in for the repairs. I did see a itlot of Kenwood TS-440's,450's,in the $350-$450 price range. A bit on the high side for me, then at a table not from our own club's table, set back away from the other stuff was this Kenwood TS-130SE, at a price I could'nt believe! Well below the $250 I was prepared to shell out for my new back up rig. We talked and haggled a bit, and that was it, I walked away 5 minutes after spying this rig, with it under my arm, and out to my truck I go.

Now then..I give it a 4 only because I just got the damn thing. I just wanted to get my first impression of this rig down after getting it on the air. Receive on this rig is great..WOW for a 30+ year old rig to have this kind of receive on it is definitely a plus. I can hear station on this TS-130SE that my Pro III doesn't..I was floored over that. I haven't transmitted on it..yet..I will, I just want to listen for now. It does drift..but again, that is in the manual, plus what I have read here on eham, the drift is well within specs. I can see this rig being used not just as my back up rig, but for field day and other portable ops. I want to see how well this rig preforms using my Buddipole system..that..will definitely be an experience I can't wait to try. Any way folks..I will amend my review in a couple of months, let you know how I am making out with what appears as my first impression on this rig has definitely turned out to be the right one.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

26JLH Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 16:30 Send this review to a friend
sold mine what a pillock  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
got one of these 3 years ago many rigs later i can say the others were a load of dog droppings.
i now have the 120 but i would like another ts-130
trouble is most of these good radios are sold off as parts on the net even if they work,what a pity.

thanks mr pillock 2e0glu

W8OWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2011 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Good Old Time Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second TS-130SE and bruise is now healed, kicked myself for selling the first one. But God is good: Mine now is even better, hard to believe. Like many of us older hams, I've lost count of the radios I've owned over the years since 1957. This one is for me one of the very best older radios, except for the beloved tube gear. I've had new radios that did not compare with the excellent plain-old receiver part of the TS-130SE. And audio reports are superb, just with the stock microphone. If you like a radio that's simple and superb, yet inexpensive, this is the one-to-enjoy. 73/Bob

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2010 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Great basic HF radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second TS-130SE. I had to sell the first one to keep the bills paid, and greatly regreted having to sell it. I found one on eBay in very good condition, with the narrow SSB filter (YK-88SN) and the 500hz CW filter. Since I am not a CW op, I removed and sold the CW filter. No problems at all with this one, and the extta SSBfilter is a great addition. This one drifts about 27 to 30hz an hour after 20 minutes warm-up. It works very well for SSB contacts with excellent RX audio, and very good TX audio reports with the MC-30S hand mic, and the MC-50 desk mic. It also works very well for PSK31, and SSTV with a very simple interface.

The TS-130SE is a very nice basic HF radio that will serve me well for many years!

K2LGO Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2010 06:57 Send this review to a friend
SOLID, SOLID RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I feel it is redundant to say the same thing that has been said 19 times, but I just want to pay tribute to a radio that I do believe has given me as much pleasure as any I have owned...The receiver is adequate, the transmitter works fine every time, and I like the way you can QSY across a band very quickly... Good looking radio, well built, and still repairable...In the spirit of the 830, the 130 will be around for quite awhile...

NU0R Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2009 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig to be used for portable operations because of its size and ease of operations. It has set on my bench unused for the last 2 years. Our local ham club is having an outing this weekend so I dug out the 130 SE. I did not have a mic so I wired a Yaesu FT101 mic to fit the Knwd. Both are 500 ohm systems. I listened in a bit on the bands and saw that I needed to do some pot and band switch cleaning. I did that last night. I fired it up today to do some on the air tests. WOW, was I ever pleased.
I love the simplicity of operations. No menus whatsoever. It does 140 watts on every band but 10 where it does 100 watts. I am getting very ggod audio reports with my substitute mic.
The receive audio quality is fantastic. It would rival any of my new rigs. It has all of the filters and they are very effective. The IF shift is marvelous. I have not seen a better IF shift in any other rig.
If I had known that this rig was as good as it is I would have been using it all along. Oh well, better late than never!!!
Find a good used one and you will have a winner!

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2009 19:38 Send this review to a friend
A great solid rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am giving this rig a five because while it is not a five compared to some of the modern rigs, for the period when it was built and sold, it is a strong five.

I now have my second TS-130SE. The first one I purchased new in the 80ís along with the PS-30 power supply, remote VFO, mobile rack, all the filters, and a matching speaker. About 3 years ago in a moment of brain fade I sold it just after purchasing a used Ten Tec Corsair II.

After awhile I realized what a dumb decision that was, and started thinking about finding another one to replace it. Well fast forward to 2009, and I just bought another TS-130SE off QTH.com. I also acquired a 500 Hz CW filter, and now I am a happy camper.

It does not have the selectivity or QSK like my Ten Tec, but it is a very simple rig to operate, and with the 500 Hz filter CW contacts are easy. It also makes a very stable platform for PSK-31 using a SignalLink USB, and Digipan software.

If you are looking for a good backup or a first time rig, or maybe you do not want to spend a lot of money for your primary rig, the TS-130SE should be on your short list as long as everything works.

I am having a lot of fun with mine.

VE2ITZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2008 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Exellent solid simple rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple to use. with the KISS concept in mind.

In the Early 80's when i was a teenager i drooled over one of these.

And then one day i found one in very good condition on e-bay.

It perform very good. Many people have commented on the good audio. I run it barefoot and most of the time i get 5/9 reports no problem.

The 2 things that is are bit of a hassle is the frequency drift that takes place when the rig is not warm enough. Also it does not operate split frequencies. You have to get an external vfo.
Otherwise i would give it a 5!

This radio is exellent for a novice ham who wants to get their feet wet in the hf bands! Plus it can transmit on the WARC bands as well.

It feels like a solid rig. I really like it as a base station since it is a middle sized radio. I know these days mobile rigs are smaller but if something goes wrong how can you see the components?

I am a happy camper and think about keeping it.