Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | GRE PSR-500 Help

Reviews Summary for GRE PSR-500
GRE PSR-500 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $499.99
Description: OOUI based digital scanning receiver.
More info: http://www.greamerica.com

You can write your own review of the GRE PSR-500.

KA6CAI Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2013 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Great features for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first bought the 500, this was the first time I had a receiver that would pick up the NAC codes!..so I setup the radio to receive the NAC so that I could store. It has a squelch fade on the CTCSS however, not on the DCS encoding. With the WIN500 program from starrsoft, you can actually fine tune this. It's the only scanner out there you can do this with. Reception is very good and sensitive! If the audio is too low on transmissions there is also a setting you can use that will boost it up to 250mw. The standard on this radio is set at 180mw. Great feature to have!

WK8M Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2012 11:57 Send this review to a friend
nice scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
let me start by saying i am not a scanner expert or computer xpert. i got his scanner a couple of days ago and it is a hoot. i started to download the manual but after reading a bit i decided to do the computer down load route. After joining RadioRef it only took about 25 min and i had this thing loaded w/all the freqs for my area,,so. ohio. the software is intuitive,i didnt read the instructions. the scanner seems to work well on the rubber duck and on the homemade antenna as well as a dedicated roof mounted scanner antenna. more to follow as my experience grows tom

VE6DO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my baby. I bought it when it first came out and I paid top dollar for it. Am I upset ... not in the least. I would do it all over again. This is an excellent scanner. The only issue I have had with it is that my keypad is wearing out .. but thats something that I have had in some of my Uniden scanners as well. This is not only a GRE issue. The manufacturers need to make keypads like the used to do. My BC780XLT even though over 10 years old .. the keypad is just like they are brand new.

SIERRAHOTEL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2011 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I didn't bite on a PSR-500 until I found one for sale by a user on a forum. It was brand new and he sold it to me for $325, Just about what the clone, the Radio Shack Pro-106 went for when it was on sale, with the programming cable. I have to admit, the object oriented programming confused me a little at first, but soon I had it figured out. This is one of the best scanners I have ever owned. It's not perfect, by any means, but it's as close as it gets right now. I had a Uniden 396 for a while, but I hated the audio quality, especially on digital, so I sold it off soon after I bought it. I recently bought a RS Pro-106 on sale, so I definitely like this radio.

Positives:
Very good digital audio.
Excellent analog/conventional audio.
Logical operation, once you get it figured out.

Negatives:
A little big, compared to the Uniden 396.
Cheaply made case, a little delicate. A friend with "acid hands" has dissolved a lot of the front panel markings in a very short time. The Uniden scanners seem a little more solid at this point in time.
Junk "forked" BNC connector (As all Uniden and GRE radios have. Would it kill either companies' profits to put in a "ring" type connector that holds up over heavy use, like Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu, etc use?
Smallish display, but looks better than the 396 does.
Amber backlighting not my ideal color. I would rather have green.
Worthless belt clip. Go back to screw attachment GRE/RS! Then it can be replaced easily with a REAL metal beltclip.

VE6DO Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2011 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio. It is something that you wouldn't want to program manually but there is good software (I use psr edit). I use it mainly for the local edacs system. It performs very well.

K7NG Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2010 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Good performer, expensive repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in an area with a mix of P25 and analog trunked systems, EDACS and Motorola, so I needed a scanner with lots of versatility. I needed one with lots of room for memories, as I travel around a lot. The search quickly narrowed to the BCD396t and the PSR500. I chose the PSR500 based on reviews and careful thought regarding features and capabilities not immediately obvious. I think I made the right choice. Once programmed properly the scanner delivers everything I could need. You DO need programming software because of the complex programming, I use Win500... Great work, Don!
Pros: Sensitive enough, very fast scan rate on conventional channels, color LED that can be programmed to show what sort of service you're hearing. Once I was familiar with the object-oriented programming and the V-Scanners, I grew to love it.
Cons: Really needs an external speaker for mobile use, but won't drive an un-amplified one from the headphone jack. Gets crunched by nearby call sites.
I gave it a '4' because my unit, like many, many others failed suddenly and required a $140 board replacement... which GRE claimed is a rare event. I don't care for equipment which will fail from a known defect but that won't be supported by the manufacturer when it does. Man up, GRE, and admit the problem!

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2009 17:18 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST DIGITAL SCANNER FOR YOUR MONEY.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE OWNED MY GRE PSR-500 SINCE IT WAS FIRST RELEASED.

THAT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME AGO.

THE AUDIO BOOST IS FANTASTIC FOR LOW VOLUME TRUNKING SYSTEMS.

I USE THE PSR PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE.

I FIND THIS SOFTWARE EASY TO USE.

THE SCANNER IS GREAT ON BATTERIES.

I HAVE EACH FREQUENCY WITH A COLOR OF ITS OWN,FOR POLICE,FIRE ETC....

I USE THE LIGHTS IN THE FLASH MODE ALONG WITH A DIFFERENT ALERT TONE FOR EACH SYSTEM.

I USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES IN MINE WITH GREAT SUCCESS.

IF YOU ARE HESITANT ABOUT BUYING ONE,THINK AGAIN.

YOU CAN NOW FIND THEM ON E-BAY FOR ALMOST $60.00 CHEAPER THAN I PAYED WHEN THEY FIRST CAME OUT.

ENJOY YOURS,

CHUCK N4UED

VA3CGT Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2009 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was going to buy the BC396T but after reviewing the PSR500 I was sold.

Yes, this scanner is bigger then others but the performance is top notch. Hot sensitivity on 800mhz. Digital mode on VHF trunking is excellent both sound quality and receive sensitivity. Better then my BC246T.

This scanner is cheaper then the 396T however not to many dealers sell this scanner. I would assume the markup is higher on the Uniden products.

Great job GRE!

KA1ZQI Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2008 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Best scanner I have ever owned - use the ARC software (by butel) to program it which makes it easier, however once you start to use it - its really not that tough to program via keypad. I think its a little more intimidating than difficult. Highly recommend this scanner to ANYONE who wants the ability to monitor all the trunked radio systems out there.

KJ4AQT Rating: 4/5 Aug 10, 2008 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Not A bad radio, could be better constructed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased Mine 4 weeks ago, the radio is nice, Definately Sensitive, Sometimes too much, the case could be constructed a little better though, it feels cheap.

You Get Used to the programming after a while.

Pros: Alert LED, Digital Audio, Computer Interface.

Cons: Construction, Noise Rejection, Less Informative display.