Reviews Categories | Microphones | Yaesu MH-27 hand mic Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MH-27 hand mic
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Hand mic used on the Yaesu FT2400

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MH-27 hand mic.

KV4PW Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2015 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Fix  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Followed Andy's method and replaced both 1 uf @ 50 volt caps on the main board. Reassembled and it works like new.
Biggest problme is desoldering the board from the keypad. Even with a good iron and solder wick it took a long time to get it clean enough to seperate. If you attempt you need a lot of patients.. Don't use a high wattage solder pencil for this operation! Love the old Yaesu Rigs...
Built like tanks! Too bad they didn't use a better mic... There are no after market ones available that I could find so this was my last resort.

K8WRS Rating: 2/5 Mar 25, 2012 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
First the push to talk switch uses a piece of foam rubber as the return mechanism. Not some type of metal or spring.

Second the plastic it is constructed of is brittle.

Last but not least the DTMF buttons tend to stick.

Quality is very lacking. It is close to a China cheap mic.
They used to make a very substantial mic of very high quality, which I would expect on a quite expensive FT-5100 Dual Band radio.
But not this time. Very disappointed!

WB6CSH Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2010 18:33 Send this review to a friend
More about problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently (July 2010) had a MH-27 mic "go south" on me after several years of good service. I Googled "microphone MH-27 problems" and came upon a discussion on qrz.com that referred me to a website, retrieved on 3 Aug.2010: [http://webpages.charter.net/rlanders904/ ]
The discussion is pertinent to the electrolytic capacitor problem mentioned by Allan (below). Be aware that the schematic referred to is incorrect in the pin-out to the mic plug!

The correct mic pin numbers are:
1.) up function

Mike Hamann
wb6csh

KD6SWA Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2009 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Caps failed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the caps fail in the mid 90s and was covered under warranty. The repair lasted a few years until I sold the radio. I actually like this mic better than the style of the MH-36c.
The radio it was with was the early version FT-2500m.

WU1E Rating: 4/5 Jan 6, 2009 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Also repaired using Allan's help  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually like this microphone quite a bit. I have had a few rigs that use it, but only had one fail. Allan's procedure did the trick and I enjoyed doing the repair. No problems since. Mic has never sounded better.

N4NLQ Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2007 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu MH-27 mic fix  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is not so much a review as it is a response to the report of low transmit audio. The mic is a little small for my liking and feels a bit fragile. However, I've owned 5 of them since the early 1990's and have yet to physically break one. Remember I'm the guy who asked the salesman at the cell phone store if he had anything larger!!

The low audio problem is caused by the use of 50 volt electrolytic capacitors to couple both the Touch Tone and mic audio into the line. The 5 volts in the mic just isn't enough to keep them "formed" and they gradually go open. I have a narrative repair procedure and scanned schematic put together from the suggestions and contributions of several Hams here on eHam. I have successfully repaired mine. Email and I'll be happy to share. Allan - N4NLQ

K9EUI Rating: 2/5 Dec 8, 2007 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Problem mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have encountered two different Yaesu FT2400 transceivers with a low transmit audio problem, or poor audio quality and/or a loud noise output.

The problem in both cases was a bad MH-27 mic. In the first unit, I replaced the electret element with a new one but the audio was still low. We then replaced the mic with a 500 ohm dynamic mic and it then sounded like a new radio.

The 2nd radio had low and restricted frequency response plus loud white noise when the unit was cold. This again turned out to be a bad mic. This time I didn't even bother to try a new element and again replaced it with a 500 ohm dynamic mic which solved the problem.

I must say that I don't know the age of either of these units, but it seems rather strange that something in these mics would go bad. If not the electret element, then what?