Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Watson W-8681 Wireless Weather Station Help

Reviews Summary for Watson W-8681 Wireless Weather Station
Watson W-8681 Wireless Weather Station Reviews: 12 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $89.95 (GBP)
Description: Wireless weather station with touchscreen control. Includes PC (Windows) software for long term data collection. Produces spreadsheets and charts.

You can write your own review of the Watson W-8681 Wireless Weather Station.

GW4TPG Rating: 3/5 Aug 17, 2016 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My station is the W-8681 Solar version which has a small solar panel which measures sunlight level and UV level as well as trickle charging a pair of supplied AA rechargable batteries for the sensor unit.
The rechargable AA batteries supplied are awful, I installed the sensor with the supplied AA's roughly 8 months ago and they have failed already. I have tried charging the supplied AA's but the charge barely held up for 48 hours. If you buy one of these invest in some decent AA alkaline rechargable batteries (I used Duracel) and give em a decent charge before installing the sensors.
G4REK Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2015 09:01 Send this review to a friend
PRETTY GOOD ALL ROUND  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the unit for years, replaced the wind speed unit as it became more trouble....
keep a look out for spiders in the rain gauge sea saw they will unbalance the sea saw and stop it working properly..batts last for yonks
for the money excellent product
G4SJI Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2013 05:22 Send this review to a friend
WATSON W-8681 WEATHER STATION  Time owned: more than 12 months
After Reading the reviews on the Watson W-8681 weather stations my review is quite different. I have owned my station now for over 4 years and it is installed at something like 10 feet above ground, ok yes it would be better in a higher position but that was my decision at the time. I live some 400 yards from the north sea and corrosion has not been a problem, the batteries I replaced today 12/01/2013 after some 4 years plus.
After reading other reviews it is inevitable that there will be a few faulty units from new but that applies to every other things that we buy and can reflect on the time that it takes to resolve the issue, there are a few comments regarding the replacement of faulty units but come on fellas have you ever missed catching a bus for four milliseconds!!! in other words give the suppliers a chance to resolve the issue before giving them bad press. I bought mine from Lam Communications and their back up has been superb from start to finish.
G4TRA Rating: 0/5 May 17, 2010 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Absolute failure  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Since my previous poor review of the product I am now downgrading my rating even further to zero. It would seem that there is no reverse polarity protection on the product, producing a total failure after a battery was inserted incorrectly. This is totally unacceptable for a modern battery driven micro-processor designed device. Be warned.
MW0ATK Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2009 03:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought on offer from Maplin in UK for 77.

Mounted sender units on top of pole around 10 metres above ground. Original idea was to link with UI-View32 for APRS packet radio communications on 2 metre band.

Did not install supplied Easyweather software, instead running Weather Display V10.37N. Need to select WH1081 from list of supported weather stations and enable direct connection. This creates an APRS file at desired interval which UI-View32 is able to read.

I had no problem with display contrast, adjustable by touching the clock and adjusting from default LCD-5 to LCD-8.

The DCF atomic clock synchronises well on my unit, although this does seem to depend on weather conditions - mine is locked on most of the time. I positioned my sender unit in South East position on pole as suggested in other posts.

The barometer on my unit reads lower than XCweather but i do live at almost 200 metres above sea level.

Not too concerned about battery life - running 5 x 2500mAh NiMH batteries.

All in all very impressed, do not doubt problems other people have experienced (read previous reviews and problem resolutions carefully) but unit works very well for me. Inspected the unit after a few heavy rain showers but no hint of water ingress to battery box or connectors as yet, i sprayed sender connectors with car ignition dispersal fluid (forms a plastic film).

Would have given a 5 but need to decide how unit copes in extreme and cold weather!!
M0MGF Rating: 3/5 May 9, 2009 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Does exactly what its supposed to do  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is for the W-8682. The reason I got this one and not the W-8681 was because of the offer that the RSGB was doing at the time.
Well this was simple to put together and was operational within no time at all. The outside equipment is mounted immediately above the tribander at 40ft, and the controller in the first floor shack. I did have some reservations about the position that I have it mounted, and the amount of RF that would be flying about, but its still work after a couple months of good DX operations.
The Anneometer when spinning around in the windy location that I live is a little loud, even at 40ft in the air. But hey, when im operation the radio, then I am indoors and so oblivious to this noise.
The controller display is well laid out, and during the daytime, clearly visible. During the time of darkness though, then the screen is unviewable, and the facility of the back light is weak and not for a prolonged period - so be quick in getting your information before the light dimms again.
The specifications for the units are that the batteries in controller will last for a minimum of 12months. Erm, no way. Since installing the unit 8 months ago, I am now on my 4th set of AA (3of) Duracell batteries.

Overall, the unit works well, and does what I want. But, due to the battery problem, and the lame backlight, I can not give the unit a 5/5.
G0HIK Rating: 3/5 Dec 5, 2008 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Just about worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've not had this long and most of the previous reviews say it all.

Good points:-

Easy to set-up and install, lot's of features for the money especially when using the P.C.

Seems pretty accurate, go to to find your local airport to compare.
I adjusted the Relative air pressure to the one for my local airport and it follows it within 1 mbar.

Bad Points :-

Build quality poor, I can't see the RJ11 connectors lasting long outside, I have put Vasaline over the connectors and the battery cover, also took transmitter off the pole and have mounted it under the eaves to get the "Weather" of it.

Mine will not lock to DCF even though two other clocks in the shack will.

The LCD does not have a contrast adjustment and is extremely difficult to see.

I did not read any reviews before hand, it was an impulse buy while in Maplin, at 70 with a 5 voucher making it only 65 pounds you get a lot for your money, but comparing it to the Heathkit unit I have the quality is very poor, I probally would not of bought it if I had seen it before hand.
I dought it will last 12 months.

By the way, mine came with Easy Weather Ver 2, the latest is Ver 5, but I did not notice any difference.
WEATHERMAN07 Rating: 2/5 Oct 1, 2008 21:58 Send this review to a friend
well rubbish  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well its been 2 weeks now and my 2rd station yes.
my 2rd station watsons 8681. same faults same everytime . the resets were not working at all.
i was really angry .now gone!! i took it back for another but same faults. i phoned up watson they were helpful .but didnt know there products are faulty...
everything eles worked fine but the resets temp hum dew etc etc.the pc worked ok. readings were great.
but when not on computer hangin up it was useless.
i had my money back .back to square ONE!!
just my oregon wireles well!
pity it watson 8681 worked i would have lived with it but .im going to buy a ventus hopfully this will work for me.on a budget.
shame really. watson 8681. watson sort it out.
M0SAY Rating: 1/5 Sep 7, 2008 01:54 Send this review to a friend
rubbish  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well who ever makes these they want to get some rubber feet on them as they slide about all over and for the out side sensors there is no water proofing its a joke even the battey case is not water proofed dont buy this put your tv on and get the weather report in stead
2M0XDS Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2008 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Not So bad after all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok I thought some of the reviews were a little harsh on this weather station, so I thought I would type up a short review.

After a recent price drop from W&S the Watson Weather Station W-8681, now retails at 69, which was a tempting price for me.
Before purchase, I checked the contents of the box, and was initially impressed by what was inside.
This was my second weather satation, and my last effort was wired, and only had tempature, wind direction, and wind speed.

After an easy installiation,which required a assembled weather station, a 90 degree clamp and a new TV `U` pole ,all this mounted on my existing 2m vertical setup, which is an aluminium scaffold pole, with no problems at all.

I was originally sceptical about the range over which the unit would work, but checked this first, before a final tighten was made, and range far than meets my expectations.

The base unit I find due to the membrane for the touch screen, not the easiest thing to read, and the `touch` can be fiddly at times.

With the unit in place and a couple of rough weather nights under its belt, I am pleased to say, I have no real issues with the unit for the money.

The supplied software, also has no real issues for myself Easy weather v2 (running XP Home, with Service pack 3)

I did check the reading taken so far with the local Met office, readings, and there is about a 3-5% error with the unit (which I can live with), and I doubt they will be using an all singing all dancing unit at 69 to get their readings.

As this unit is quite new to myself only time will tell if this will be a good long term investment, but in the mean time, if you are looking for a cheap, easy to set up unit, which (for me) is giving good performance, and readings, this is the one for you.

Donald Suttie