Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Coleman/Powermate 5000 watt (Subaru Engine) Help

Reviews Summary for Coleman/Powermate 5000 watt (Subaru Engine)
Coleman/Powermate 5000 watt (Subaru Engine) Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$399.00
Description: 5000 watt continuous duty/6250 Peak, 10hp Subaru engine, 120VAC/240VAC, Gasoline powered.

NOTE: Coleman out of business

More info: http://www.homedepot.com

You can write your own review of the Coleman/Powermate 5000 watt (Subaru Engine).

KD6WAG Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2007 18:58 Send this review to a friend
What a performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this generator on advise from a few friends who said this "genny" is a steal. I couldn't believe how durable and "heavy duty" this machine is. It's a bit quieter than the old Briggs & Stratton engines. This 10 HP "Subaru" engine starts up on the first pull. My 9 year old daughter started it with no problem.

For a test and after the initial 3hour break in period, I plugged in two full sized refrigerators, one Mitsubishi 35" TV, two 100watt lamps, my laptop computer and my Microwave oven! The machine powered them all without a hitch.

The generator comes with a 25' 4-plug 240volt extension cord. The cord is really thick and heavy duty. It also can be used for 120VAC and the generator determines your equipment power demand (i.e. 240 or 120V) You can run 40Amps (120VAC) on the cord, or 20Amps (240VAC).

When this orginally came out in 2006, it was close to $1,000 MSRP. Home depot now sells it for $399. Don't let the price or brand fool you. Powermate is actually a sub-company of Coleman and they specialize in electrical power equipment. I would pay $800.00 for this generator.

I think Homedepot wants to close out the generator to make room for newer and more EXPENSIVE models.

I looked at the Hondas, but didn't want to spend three times the money. It's about as loud as a McClellan lawn edger. During a power failure, the neighbors are not going to mind the muffled sound.

I highly recommend this machine. It's the best bang for the buck out there. Also, check out the reviews on homedepot.com. All reviewers (13 total at this writing) give it 5 out of 5 STARS!