Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | FDC FD-150A/450A Help

Reviews Summary for FDC FD-150A/450A
FDC  FD-150A/450A Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $85.99
Description: VHF/UHF FM TRANSCEIVERS

You can write your own review of the FDC FD-150A/450A.

NS1R Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2009 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Great deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
You can't beat the price. It is a ham radio for the price of a family type radio. The programing instructions are not the best but you can do it. I recommend the software method.

M6FBS Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2009 05:04 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio - incomprehensible instruction manual!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a couple of these for use by licenced Scouts in my Scout Troop. They are great little rigs for the price and do the job and take the use and abuse which we require - 5 stars all the way UNTIL we come to the wretched owner's manual and software help sections both of which are written in a language which is almost, but not entirely, unlike English! It is as if it has been translated from the original Chinese by computer into Swahili, thence into Italian and then into English by way of Hebrew!
"......Scanning is used to monitor the frequency of your desire: you do not need manually to operate.If you know every scanning method well, the monitor function efficiantly, can be used. Note: scanning can be used only when close the SQL. The transceiver will stop scanning when received a signal......." - A typical example of the literary merits of the book!

That apart, this is a great little radio for general use and once you have worked it out for yourself and, in my case, re-written the instructions for my Scouts, it is well worth buying!

VA3FD Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2009 20:41 Send this review to a friend
good deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
FD-450, bought second hand from a local ham's brother-in-law who "wanted to be a ham but then decided he didn't have time" (translation: found out he had to STUDY something).
But it's a good deal even at $60. I specifically was looking for a 440 rig, since 2 meters was getting too noisy, and also I could (ahem) "listen in" on FRS/GMRS freqs if need be, another very useful feature of this handie.
Well worth the inexpensive price, I bought a second battery so it's always ready-to-go!

WB0MMZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2009 14:54 Send this review to a friend
A real bargain  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been licensed for 35 years and owned many radios, including my first 2-meter Genave GTX-10. I bought this because I figured I couldn't get burned too bad for the price. I paid about $55 delivered. I do suggest that you get a BNC adapter and put a better antenna on it. I checked the output on my freq counter and it was right on. After reading the other reviews, I saw that a common complaint was programming it. It really isn't if you read and follow them exactly as written. One thing that this radio has to have done is for the CTCSS freq programmed in both TX and RX. I bought 4 more for some friends of mine. There are also some accessories that you can get. I bought the speaker mike and car adapter. As far as the car adapter, my only complaint is that you have to use the stand charger with it. You can't just plug in the car charger to the radio. Not a big deal though. The final comment is that the radio transmits from 136 to 174 MHz, but I wouldn't suggest it.

KJ4AQV Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2008 21:33 Send this review to a friend
great buy , get it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this litte radio is worth the 2 weeks to get it. it all you need in a ht i have fd-450a uhf model its great buy it and save money.

G7AQK Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2008 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my FD160A for a couple of years and it is used daily to access local repeaters on my regular trips between London and Cambride (approx 78 miles).

The 160A and 460A are basically the same as the 150/450 series, but they have the functions marked on the buttons (which makes programming much easier!).

The Good Bits:

Transmit audio is good.
Plenty of volume on receive (no problems when driving at motorway speeds)
Good sensitivity
100 memories
CTCSS & DCS
5w output
Easy to use when memories are set up.
Rugged construction

The Bad:
Some Rx breakthrough from nearby pager sites.
Displayed S Meter is virtually useless.
No DTMF
Gets hot if transmitting for long periods (screen goes black).
Will only scan the full range of frequencies covered or all memory channels.
Programming from keyboard can be time consuming.

Despite the bad bits, at the price I paid I cannot complain. I have set the time out timer to 90 seconds to avoid problems with overheating (not unusual on handhelds). I always use the radio powered from the car via the Feidaxin adaptor and use a mini mag-mount antenna. The adaptor initially would cut out after a fairly short transmit period so I decided to carry out some minor surgery myself rather than return it to Hong Kong. The thermal cut out has now been replaced and it works fine.

I like the FD-160A so much, I have now ordered a FD-460A together with the computer programming cable.

Neil
G7AQK
http:http://g7aqk.uk.googlepages.com

KC2TUX Rating: 4/5 Oct 25, 2008 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Great First Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a fantastic starter radio!
You will probably need help with programming because the owners manual stinks!
I bought two of these radios on E-Bay along with the mag mount antennas and a 12V Battery eliminator, and I am very satisfied with them.
I can the reach the local repeaters easily, and get good reports most of the time.
My daily commute (Farmingdale to JFK) is 25 miles, and I can reach W2VL 146.850 with no problems during the whole trip.

Bill

VU2OEC Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2008 22:31 Send this review to a friend
Gem of a Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought FD-150A 3 years and recommended to many ham friends. Full VHF coverage. Excellent Performance. Above, I used it in three car rallies in Deserts of Rajasthan, India and in Mountains of Himalayas in Himachal Pradesh, India. Great peformance every where. Fellow hams rated it best with the price tag of US $ 75.00 including shipping or US $ 100.00 with accessories like PTT MIC, Car Eliminator, Extra Battery and BNC connector. These accessories are must for field use. Great HongKong Radio.

VU2OEC
Rajesh Chandwani
INDIA

KB2VYZ Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2008 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Not bad!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The FDC looks like a toy radio regardless of which color you choose, however, the radio did perform well on both TX and RX.

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ

9W2AZX Rating: 3/5 Sep 19, 2008 18:54 Send this review to a friend
easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i'm a new ham & just bought a FD 150A for myself. as described in other reviews, it's very easy to program. just go thru the booklet and in less than 10mins, you'll be programming your fav freqs already. the red colour is also a big hit especially with the kids. the standard antenna though, is not so good. i put a friend's handy next to it, no audio was heard from the FD150A at the same freq.