Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Ramsey FR146C Help

Reviews Summary for Ramsey FR146C
Ramsey FR146C Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $44.95
Description: FM receiver kit for two meters (with case)
More info: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FR-SERIES

You can write your own review of the Ramsey FR146C.

KC9MSA Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2009 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Fun to build, not great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a fun kit to build, worked on first try...good for a first or second kit to build, not great performance, but it would work in a pinch

N1KSN Rating: 2/5 Dec 19, 2007 03:03 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found this kit on sale at Hobbytron and bought it on an impulse. I've built many ham radio kits, so this one went together quickly. After checking it out, I replaced the 10K tuning pot with a 10-turn pot from my junk box to make tuning easier.

In spite of the easier tuning from the multiturn pot, I found this receiver to have poor sensitivity and disappointing performance. I was able to tune in and listen to a close-by ham on simplex, but reception from local repeaters was weak. The squelch didn't perform well, either.

Realigning the unit to receive the NOAA weather stations did not make me any happier, as they were very close in tuning positions, even with the multiturn pot modification, and reception was still scratchy.

If you want to monitor a close transmitter, this may work for you, but overall I found that the Elenco AR-2N6K FM receiver kit is a much better value, working better and costing less.

Not recommended.