Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Unified Microsystems SCI-6 PC Sound Card Interface Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Unified Microsystems SCI-6 PC Sound Card Interface Kit
Unified Microsystems SCI-6 PC Sound Card Interface Kit Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25
Description: The SCI-6 design incorporates transformer isolation on both transmit and receive audio. Control the transceiver PTT with the built in optically isolated interface circuit. The SCI-6 requires no external power source.
More info: http://www.unifiedmicro.com/sci6.htm

You can write your own review of the Unified Microsystems SCI-6 PC Sound Card Interface Kit.

KD0PGV Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2012 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Echolink Interface!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the most affordable and simple interface to get Echolink up and running. The kit was easy to put together and the instructions were well written. I spliced some old RCA cables and soldered them to my "antique" Kenwood 2-meter radio's mic connector. I found a cheap serial connector (got a serial to USB adaptor also) for the PPT from the computer and everything worked perfect on the first test! I will recommend this unit to anyone looking for an interface for Echolink use. Why even consider a more expensive interface that does the same thing??? 73's

K8AEX Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembled kit in less than an hour. Worked first time without a hitch. Enjoying SCI-6 with MTTY software. Don't even consider another sound card interface.

KU4UV Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2009 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent kit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just ordered this kit last week, and all I can say is that it works great! The kit arrived via USPS priority mail. The instructions are clear and precise, and all parts were included. The only thing that isn't included are the cables and connectors that will go from the transceiver to the interface. You will have to build (or buy) cables for your particular transceiver. The kit went together in about an hour, and it worked the first time. I would say that this kit is well within the skills of even a first-time kit builder. All you really need to assemble the kit is a soldering iron and VOM meter, two things every ham should own. The first time on the air, I worked several different states, and Habana Cuba! I am using an Icom 718 and a loaded rain gutter at my apartment. This kit is a great kit! Thanks to Unified Microsystems for providing amateurs with a simple and inexpensive way to enjoy the digital modes. I will certainly be a repeat customer!
Rating: 5/5

W4HLN Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2009 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this interface together last night in 11 minutes and then it took me another 5 minutes to get my Rig/Soundcard cables put together.Running it on a Yaesu FT-450AT

It works as GOOD as the Tigertronics Signalink SL-1+ OR the Tigertronics Signalink USB (I own both) Tigertronics has NOTHING on this interface except its double to triple the price!

Its as good as the Kantronics KAM Xl (400$ TNC)
and its a lot easier to use running Ham radio Deluxe with the Digital programs PSK31 deluxe or DM 780 Multimode!

But! This interface doesent require a USB or Serial port!

For about 30$ including shipping its a fantastic deal! Have already worked two dozen stations without a hitch. And by the way for you "APPLIANCE OPERATORS"....you that dont have technical know how....dont be afraid of this kit!

READ the manual...follow it to the tee...you cant go wrong!

Its so simple!...It might even get you hooked on building other stuff!

Will be selling my Tigertronics stuff soon but this interface is a keeper! May even add it INSIDE my FT-450!

Ernie / W4HLN

KA2HHB Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2008 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Well Worth It !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to get into PSK as inexpensivley as possible did some research and came across this kit the SCI-6. Ordered it, put it together in about 30 minutes although it did take little longer to make up the cables. But the kit is as described and well worth the price.
Been using it for about a month now and I've never made so many contacts in such a short time.
I have it connected to a TS50S. If you don't mind putting it together, it can't be beat.
Highly recommend it..... KA2HHB

KV9U Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2008 18:50 Send this review to a friend
One of the best interface values  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently decided to purchase a commercial interface because I needed COM serial port PTT keying for several software programs that was not supported by my homebrew CI-V interface. I was in the process of ordering a well known foreign made interface that had a price of $170 plus shipping, until I discovered that they have no practical guarantee. (No returns in the fine print). So I looked around one more time to see what else might be available and discovered the SCI-6 interface that was just what I needed.

While this interface does not support full rig control, it provides transformer isolation for audio in and out between the rig and the computer sound card as well as a socketed optoisolator for keying the rig.

This is not plug and play but the assembly of the unit took only about an hour with additional time to make up cables to the rig and the computer COM port (via a USB to COM adapter). The sound card connections are provided with standard mini stereo phone plug cables. All other connections are done through standard RCA phono connectors, making this adaptable to most any rig of your choice.

Some digital soundcard programs provide full rig control, but some only provide rig PTT keying. I use a separate USB to COM adapter to operate my homebrew CI-V adapter when the software supports it. But, when I need it, this interface supports COM port keying, typically through another inexpensive USB to COM adapter.

I had been having RFI feedback problems with a previous homebrew audio transformer isolator, but was surprised that this interface seems to not have that problem.

The low price and reasonable shipping cost of $5 for US destinations, makes this one of the most affordable computer interfaces available and I would have to say one of the best values.

KA6SGT Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2008 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Simple to put together and does the job!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The kit goes together quickly and easily, includes clear instructions, and works the first time. Got started using it for PSK modes, and just tried it during the RTTY RoundUp. Not as convenient to setup as the RigBlasterPRO I used to have, but the wiring is easy to setup for your radio and PC configuration. Very reliable.