Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-77 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-77
Yaesu FT-77 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $250
Description: Early 1980s no-frills 80-10m CW/SSB solid state transceiver
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-77.

26JLH Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2011 15:45 Send this review to a friend
FINALE THOUGHTS ON A GOOD VENERABLE OLD LADY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I HAVE HAD THIS RADIO FOR 2 WEEKS NOW AND HAVE FITTED THE 300 HZ CW FILTER.
THERE HAVE BEEN REPORTS OF SSB BEING A BIT LOW I HAVE TRYED THE CLUBS KENWOOD TS-140 SPEACH SHOWS 48 WATTS SAME AS THE FT-77 BUT BLOW IN THE MICROPHONE YOU GET 100 WATTS INTO THE DUMMY LOAD.
SO I THINK ITS NORMAL AND NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT.
WELL AS FOR THE RADIO IT IS VERY WELL MADE INSIDE AND LOOKS LIKE A VERY GOOD ROLEX WATCH VERY TIDY LOOKED AS IF ITS NEVER BEEN REPAIRED,JUST HAD THE FM BOARD AND MARKER BOARD FITTED.
THEN I FITTED THE CW FILTER AND IT HAS ALL THE OPTIONS NOW.
I CAN SAY IT WORKS VERY WELL ON CW AND DIGIMODES YOU NEED TO LET IT WARM UP FOR AN HOUR OR SO AND THE DRIFT VERY LOW I LEFT IT FOR 3 HOURS AND IT DID ONLY DRIFT 100 HZ MUCH LESS THE THE STATED 100 HZ EVERY 30 MINS.
THE RECIEVE IS VERY NICE AND HAS A GOOD SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO MUCH MORE THAN A LOT OF THE SO CALLED NEW GARBAGE OUT THERE.
THIS RIG MAY BE OLD BUT IT HAS LASTED ALMOST 30 YEARS SEE IF THE NEW STUFF LASTS THAT,I DONT HOLD MUCH HOPE IT WILL BEET THIS OLD GIRL.
SO IF YOU SEE A GOOD ONE BOXED LIKE THE ONE I GOT I SAY BUY IT AND I THINK YOU WILL BE PLEASED WITH IT AND IT WONT COST MORE THAN 275 QUID FROM A RADIO SHOP WILL A THREE MONTHS WARRENTY,CANT BE BAD CAN IT...............JEFFREY M6GLH..ENGLAND..

26JLH Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 09:33 Send this review to a friend
wonderfuly simple vintage wireless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
simple bit like me,got this as it was as good aas new boxed,no speach proccesor thats all that i dont like about it.
has a new vfo knob not the original type but it looks as if its was on there from new,i use the datong FL3 for cw and it works like it was made for the rig much better than having a poor cw rock filter.
got this from a radio shop this friday it got here in 18 hrs,now that can not be bad,good on you radio world,well might as well give them a plug.
i will get a good power microphone for it as its a little low on ssb due to no speach procceser.
thanks jeff

WB2FQI Rating: 3/5 Dec 27, 2010 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Rig is OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Reg board went after many years of Operation..............unable to repair ......to old

sold as parts

GM4WZG Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2007 16:52 Send this review to a friend
This is a classic !  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I first got my licence I struggled with bits of qrp kit that I had put together rather poorly. A good learning experience but very frustrating. My brother generously bought me this rig as a gift.

Was I in heaven ! Narrow filter on CW, gorgeous sound, and later when I added an outboard Datong Automatic RF Speech Processor (Superb!) boy did I work the DX on SSB as well as CW.

In the 80s I worked thousands and thousands of QSOs and I just can't fault this rig. OK, well maybe the rubber dial has perished over the years (they tell me they all do that, and replacements are available) but apart from that you get what you need to work the world on CW and SSB.

And what a nice clean simple design. Beats modern rigs any day if you ask me ! OK, it doesn't have the million and one gizmos that you seem to get whether you want them or not, but it does have a sound quality that you just don't get on modern synthesised rigs.

Maybe sometimes something in your life has a value a little over its intrinsic value - so I apologise for waxing quite so lyrical, but I wouldn't part with my FT77 for all the tea in china even though I admit that I grudgingly do use some of those new-fangled DSP type thingies these days.

73 Bernie GM4WZG

VE1BLL Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2006 18:10 Send this review to a friend
A pleasant surprise...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my well-used FT-77 at a ham radio flea market in May 2006 for a good price. After cleaning up the front panel, repainting the case, wiring up a replacement DC power cord, and wiring up a replacement mic - I'm back on HF again. It could still use a replacement rubber ring for the main tuning knob.

I'm very impressed with how well it works.

The receiver seems pretty good, but it is affected by adjacent channel QRM (not the narrowest filters in USB mode). The noise blanker actually works, knocking down power line buzz by about 2 S-units.

Reports say that my Xmit audio is good (I'm using a rewired ICOM HM-35 hand mic). The nominal 100 watts seems to be sufficient to compete in the pile-ups.

VK7HDS Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2005 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my FT77 for over a year now I quite like its performance. It has a user friendly uncluttered face which makes it a breeze to operate. I also have the optional CW filter and the FM boards installed. It has very good transmit and receive sides on all bands.

Even though I have newer rigs, I still prefer to use this radio and it will stay in my shack for a long time. An excellent radio, and a good choice for those with a limited budget or for the beginner!

Damien Styles, VK7HDS.

43DT381 Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2005 02:20 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
this radio is an excellent radio to start off with, it had plenty of grunt in the audio and the recieve was excellent, had many great radio checks, recommended anyday

OZ1IDJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2005 12:50 Send this review to a friend
5 +  Time owned: more than 12 months
Jeg har haft min FT77 nu over 20 år og har aldrig haft problemer,den er enkel at bruge.Det er sådanne stationer man skulle bygge idag,nye stationer er for besværlige at betjene,jeg regner med min FT 77 holder 20 år endnu,jeg har prøvet flere nye stationer men nej de er for elektroniske.

YO8RXM Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2005 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an FT-77 for an year now and I can say that I am verry satisfied with it's performance. My rig has an CW filter and the FM option installed, and I have very good reception on all the bands, and also very good controls from my QSO's. The only think that I don't like is that it has no 1,8MHz band, but that's not such a big problem because my house location doesn't allow me to build an good 160m antenna. Also I worked with it a lot in portable, and the noise blanker created especially for the car's engine spark noise is verry efficient.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2004 11:44 Send this review to a friend
This is a great little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first saw a Yaesu FT77 at the Dixon, IL hamfest in April, 1983. I was in High School at the time so I couldn't afford a new rig, but it was small, solid state, and had the WARC bands, which put it way ahead of the Yaesu FT101B I had at the time.

Finally in June 2004 I got a chance to own and use on of these rigs. The first thing that got me was how quiet the receiver was. Much quieter than my FT100D on several bands. Probably because it doesn't have general coverage receive, so it can run some pretty tight band pass filters. How often do most of us SWL anyways? It also handles strong signals pretty well. I was surprised at how good the receiver was for a basic entry level radio.

The one I got also came with an AM board installed, which is a little known of option. I think it was an afterthought as the manual discusses the FM board option, and there is a FM spot on the mode switch, but no AM position and the manual never talks about it. You can have either the AM or FM board in, but not both.

This rig also has a single VFO, but the RIT range is about 5khz either way, so you can do many split CW pileups using the RIT. Another unusual feature for that time period (early to mid 80s) is that there is a fixed level audio out jack on the front of the radio. This is perfect for soundcard interfaces today. At that time only the high end radios had such an output, and I have never seen one on the front of a radio before, but makes for easy connections. Also, the receive audio is plenty loud through the internal speaker, and sounds pretty good.

This radio was set to compete with the Kenwood TS130, and you can generally find them much cheaper than the 130s. In many ways it is probably a better deal for several reasons: FM or AM option (not even an option on 130), Fixed level audio out (for digital modes), variable power control, wide and narrow noise blankers. However it also lacks a few things that you find on the TS130: no speech processor, no vox, and no SSB filter.

Still, for what you see these going for, it is a heck of a deal. I had to give the rig a 4 because of the lack of a SSB filter option, lack of VOX, and the tuning rate is a little fast. Not too bad for base station work, but might be kind of difficult for mobile work, and there is not a lock button for the dial either.

Overall I have had fun playing with this radio, and am glad I finally got to try one out. For under $200 you can't do much better.