Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-77 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-77
Yaesu FT-77 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $250
Description: Early 1980s no-frills 80-10m CW/SSB solid state transceiver
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-77.

HA5X Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2003 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Good for beginners  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the FT-77 sometime between 1982 and 1984 (?). It was my first HF radio, and I liked it very much. Easy to handle, good reception quality, good reports, and a lot of DXCC countries, especially on 10m where my antenna performed the best. I had the FM module in, and I have some vague impression that I also had a CW filter. As 10m at the time was quite clean, I did not really miss the QRM fighting features. However, I did have a lot of trouble with split frequency operation, as the radio did not have it as a standard feature. I had a home made VFO, it did work, but was not the finest, so it became very difficult to work DX-peditions who enjoyed a huge pileup.

So the FT77 was sold, and replaced by a 757GX. Well, the new one did have a lot of useful features, but I always missed the excellent clarity of the FT77's receiver.

OE5CSP Rating: 3/5 Jan 13, 2003 03:53 Send this review to a friend
Good for newcomer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used my Ft77 with a multiband dipole, about 40 metres long. I did a lot of dx on 15 and 20 meters.The rx is very sensitive but it was completly overloaded on 40 and 80 meters.Couldnīt get out more than 50 watts on SSB, but 100 on cw.I bought an extra cw filter and I was very happy with it.Sold it because a friend wanted to have it.Now I miss my Ft77.

N8CH Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2001 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned my FT-77 for over 15 years. Used it mobile a lot. Excellent performer. Bought the FT-757GX-II and used it for over ten years. Like the Yeasu line so well I now have the FT-100 mobile and the FT-1000D as a base station. Sold the Ft=77 and the FT-757 last year. They should last a good while longer. Easy to use, easy to maintain.

SM0NCL Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2001 04:15 Send this review to a friend
Basic radio, good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT-77 has been a part of my radio shack since new. I have made some additions and modifications during the years of use.

I find the FT-77 good enough for picking up weak signals aswell as handling of crowded bands.
Close to 100W output on all bands and adjustable down to less than 1W.

For 29Mhz FM use, the 455kHz IF may be a bit wide but there is a modification available to improve this. To enable traffic via FM repeaters, I made a simple modification by adding a second xtal with -100KHz offset and the rpt.shift is controlled using the 'spare' marker button on the front.

The FT-77 has almost no features to enhance audio quality in RX or TX, apart from NB and CW filters.
To enhance the TX audio I use an external RF speech processor by Kenpro.
For CW I added a 275Hz filter that improved the ability to work stations on a crowded band.

The FT-77 is well prepared for connecting transverters and I have used a MML 28/432 transverter for many years.

The RIT is not fine-tuned as one might expect, so it takes some time to get used to it but on the other hand the RIT covers more Hz than other analog transcivers.

The built-in SWR meter is accessed through the top of the box, a small lid removed, and requires alignment whenever the output power is changed.
Still the meter works fine and is accurate on any power level.

The cooling-fan on the PA flange has one speed and it makes quite a bit of noise so headphones are required if your'e chasing DX and need all attention listening. On the other hand it takes quite a bit if CW traffic to engage the fan so it is a rare problem.

The reason (I think) to why I have NOT sold the FT-77, maybe it's because it a good enough talk-back transciever on 80/40M & 29FM. The value on the used market is low that I do not care if it remains in my shack.
Also - the few failiures that have happened have been easily fixed due to the simplicity and by help of the owners manual that contains a full circuit description as well as full schematics.
If you indent to buy one - look for the manual aswell.

KU4QD Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2000 17:19 Send this review to a friend
A good basic radio in it's time.  Time owned: unknown months
I had one of these... it was the little brother of the FT-757GX. Oh, not in size, which was the same, but in features. Think of an FT-747, with it's absolute lack of QRM fighting features. Now give it a solid, metal case, take out the general coverage receive, make the second VFO and memories an outboard, external accessory just like the FT-707, take out AM, and you pretty much have an FT-77. The receiver is quite sensitive, and both the stock SSB filter and the optional CW filter were quite good. FM is an option (recommended), and it will do quite well on 10m FM if you have the board installed. The receive audio was quite nice as I remember, and I got good reports on the transmit audio as well. Why did I get rid of it? Well... that absolute lack of QRM fighting tools I mentioned was the big reason. Still, if someone needs an HF rig with the WARC bands on a small budget, even today the FT-77 isn't a bad choice.