Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-15 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-15
Ameritron ATR-15 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $350
Description: 1.5 KW 1.8-30 MHz Antenna Tuner Ameritron no longer lists this one on the website.
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?catid=4

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-15.

KD8QNC Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2014 17:18 Send this review to a friend
Maybe the best manual tuner ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the ATR-15 used about three years ago. I use it in power ranges from 5w. to 1200w. PEP. I haven't hooked it up to any antenna that it couldn't match to 1:1. I like the tapped inductor rather than the roller type. It is faster to find the right solution and more fool proof. I am really sorry this great manual tuner is not still in production. They're hard to find on the used market. If you're looking for a manual tuner and find one of these.....buy it, you won't be sorry.

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2012 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner good calibration 80 -20  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have gone through five tuners in my shack in the past 15 years KW-107 keeper but an oldie that still is good to 20 M, MFJ 986D OK but what you expect, Palstar KT1M very nice but did not like the differential tuning capacitor, then a MFJ-989C OK but did not like the fiberglass insulators on the capacitors. Then I got this Ameritron ATR-15 massive capacitors with ceramic insulators and for the swithces no roller inductor and the only antennna tuner that I have had that tunes my Chameleon V11 to 1:1 on every band so far love this thing had to alignn the meter drops off on 15 and 10 the only one that did not do this was the PalStar but al in all this is the best of the bunch

N3OQD Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2010 06:36 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this tuner for $150 about 2 years ago at a local hamfest. After several patches to the plastic shaft to the left Transmitter capacitor I finally called MFJ. They sent to me at no cost at my request two shafts for good measure. This morning it went in easy. Trimmed and with a few light taps with hammer to secure. Now it is good as new. Pros: quick tune, well built. The only con is that because of fixed inductor taps, tuning range for my random wire is limited. For other antennas I am sure that this is not an issue. All in all a pretty good set.

K9MI Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2009 10:45 Send this review to a friend
One Comlaint  Time owned: more than 12 months
My only complaint is that there isn't a "direct" setting for antennas 2 & 3. That wasn't a problem when I had a good antenna switch. Just use 100 watts now, but no problems when I had my AL-811. Sort of overkill for my 100 watt station, but I bought it used for a very reasonable price, and it would cost a lot more then I spent to replace it with a tuner of it's quality.

Mike - K9MI

EA6TS Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2009 01:16 Send this review to a friend
Solid like rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi guys:

Mine is here in the shack for about 3 years and still like first day.

Working with no problems with an ACOM 1000, no arching and no problems.... Please don't compare with MFJ

I prefeer to use antennas 1,1swr but in 80 or 75mts its quite difficult if you wanna work ssb and cw and then he job of the ATR15 is needed.

Good help in the shack

73's from Menorca Island

AK4QA Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2009 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Still rocking  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Been almost a year and still works great. New radio (756Pro) and new amp (AL-1200) and still no problems. Not to speak of the antennas.

Just bought another one off Ebay to build a twin station, so will keep ya'll upto date on this.

Lee
KE4VYN

W9OY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2004 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner for years, and it works well. The meter is useful for setting SWR, and is reasonably accurate as to power as well. The tuner is not infinite as far as range goes, and there have been some loads I could not get to 1:1 on the SWR. It has never arced and remains cool to the touch at full legal output. I tried the balun once, but found and external DX engineering balun worked better. The antenna selection switch is also an asset. You can choose 3 coax, one open wire balanced and one long wire output. The first switch position also can be bypassed, so if you lets say "tune" your beam you can also set the switch to bypass the tuner.

The knobs of the Capacitors are insulated with press on insulators, and one of these came loose. I fixed it by drilling a hole through the insulator and capacitor shaft where the press on insulator joins it, and putting a piece of 14g wire through the hole. It was an easy fix, but my guess is if you tune much at all with this tuner eventually this joint will fail, and require fixing.

The inside of the tuner is impressive, big beautiful caps and coils and switches. Over all this one is a keeper, and in my opinion much perferable to a roller inductor.

K0KAV Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2003 20:50 Send this review to a friend
I really like this tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had 'em all and this one ranks right up with the best of them. Smooth meter movement, gives me a match on anything I've tried it on, with ease. I was very fortunate to pick up a like new used one for a good price. Quality , big wide spaced variable caps, great tapped inductor. All components look excellent. Definitely a keeper!

KB4QLZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2003 05:58 Send this review to a friend
A++  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Tunes my G5RV from 10 to 80 Meters with my Ameritron AL80B without any problems. Have used it to touch up a 160 Meter V. Never has arced with 1K.

NZ4I Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2003 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had at least one of these tuners in use at my ham station since 1989. They work very well, and the meter is easy to see. However, as been stated before it my require calibration to be very accurate. My first unit, did have some quality controls issues, but they were quickly fixed without any need to involve the manufacturer (although this is not fun on something you buy from a store). Definately, my first choice in terms of a high power tuner.