Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-15 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-15
Ameritron ATR-15 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $350
Description: 1.5 KW 1.8-30 MHz Antenna Tuner Ameritron no longer lists this one on the website.
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?catid=4

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-15.

N9AI Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2002 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my ATR-15 used about 1 1/2 years ago and I've never had a single problem with it. The quality is excellent. The tuner is very well built with rugged contruction overall and the switches and ceramic insulators getting particularly high marks. I run about 800 watts ouptput through mine, but it'll take twice that, except on 160m, where it's rated at a kilowatt out.

While it's true that the ATR-15 does not have a roller inductor, I find that the switched inductor has plenty of range- I've been able to tune both my G5RV and 40 meter dipole for 160m. I might be biased on this, but I prefer the switched inductor. I've always found roller inductors to have reliability problems on antenna tuners, especially in this price range.

If you can find an ATR-15 at a reasonable price, buy it! They're getting pretty hard to find these days and I'd bet that's because people are starting to realize that they're at least as good as the ATR-30 and better than the ATR-20, for less money. I consider mine one of the best deals I've gotten in amateur radio.

N4LQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2002 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the most rugged, well constructed tuners. Range limited due to fixed inductance taps instead of roller but easier and quicker to change bands of course. My 160m antenna wouldn't tune until I added some inductance to the coil. Balun can be rewired for either 1:1 or 4:1 ratio. Having a switch for this would be handy. Meter isn't very accurate but good for swr checks. Switch quality is the best. This is a lot like using a Johnson Matchbox only not a true balanced tuner.

AD4C Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 1999 12:29 Send this review to a friend
AMERITRON ATR-15  Time owned: unknown months
In almost a year I get this Tuner I haven't found anykind of troubles at all.I pass trough it 1500 W from a SB-220 and never have heard any arc,if you open it up will see a quite profesional built,I have had many Tuners and this one is compared in quality only with the venerable Dentron 3000MT,it said its for only 1.5K but I am pretty sure by the capacitors size and the switch contacts space,that will stand 3KW easy,the meter reads smoth PEP values without needing to touch any switch,its definitively a good Tuner to buy and keep for ever.

AA2T Rating: 3/5 Sep 7, 1999 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner, minor nits  Time owned: unknown months
Had very good luck with this with everything from random wires to off center fed dipoles and loops.
Minor issues:
1. Arc'd over around the delrin insulators where the wattmeter toroid is mounted to the pcb. I got replacement parts and also ground the etch around the mounting hole for more creepage.
2. 100W out on the high scale, reads 150W on low scale.
3. Found a loose ground stud, which caused arcing.