Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet SB-14 Tri-Band Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet SB-14 Tri-Band Mobile Antenna
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $67
Description: 6 Meter/2 Meter/70 cm Mobile Antenna
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=4&childID=2

You can write your own review of the Comet SB-14 Tri-Band Mobile Antenna.

KG4YMQ Rating: 2/5 Jan 10, 2014 08:42 Send this review to a friend
SB-14 SWR PROBLEMS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Comet SB-14 TriBand Antenna I put this Antenna on a Puck Antenna Mount in the center of my car I have a 3x3 Alumin Plate to hold it up. I have it grounded to the frame of the car. I have change the coax from 213 to mini-8 and with MFJ Antenna Swr Meter it reads a 3 SWR from 144-148MHZ can someone please help me with this I even used another Antenna and the same process. Do these Antennas not like Puck Antenna Mounts

WM4YD Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2012 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a tri-bander, it works fairly well.

I have the antenna mounted on stainless steel mirrir style brackets on the side of my pick-ups bed mounted toolbox.

The SWR on 2m & 70cm is very good and mostly flat, excapt right at the band edges, where it increases to around 1.1 to 1.5.

In order to get the antenna to load properly on 6 meters, it must have a very good ground plane below it, and it must be directly grounded with a very good DC ground as well as an RF ground. This antenna is not recommended for mag mount by the manufacturer, and mag mounts do not provide a dc ground. The manufacturer states that the antenna does not need to be tuned in order to work correctly. I did nothing other than assemble mine and place it on the mount, and I am very happy with the results it has provided.

I will be purchasing another one of these very soon for my other vehicle.

W8ATT Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2008 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Good 3 Band Mobile Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got this antenna from a friend and believe it works great considering its size. I run VHF/UHF & HF in my truck and when I'm not using my Comet UHV-6 for HF I'm using the SB-14 for 6m, 2m, 70cm because its much shorter than the UHV-6. I work both simplex & repeater on 6m with good results & 2m/70cm has a little better gain than the UHV-6 & works fine on those 2 bands also. I would recommend this antenna if you want one to do the 3 bands reasonably well. Remember the more bands the antenna will do you will compromise somewhere & the multi band antennas will not do as well as mono band antennas.

N2GYI Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2007 07:39 Send this review to a friend
No Good on Six  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Comet SB-14 Tri-Band Mobile Antenna for use with my Yaesu FT-8900 quad-band FM mobile radio. I was planing to use this antenna to take advantage of the cross-band repeat feature of the Ft-8900 radio. I mounted the antenna on the center of my metallic car roof, using Comet's CM-5M magnetic mount. While the SWR was nearly dead flat on 2M and 70cm, I found the SB-14 would not load properly on 6 meters. In fact, the SWR was higher than 4:1 (or worse) on the Six Meter FM band segment. There was no reasonable way to adjust this via changing the length of the radiator. Furthermore there was no mention of tunability in the instruction sheet that came with this antenna. To add insult to injury, I found the set screws were made of soft metal that striped under only modest torque with the supplied hex key.

While I really wanted to take advantage of the wonderful propagation on six meters, I will give credit to the fact that this antenna does work well on 2M and 70cm, however this was not what influenced my buying decision. It appears that I am stuck. I have taken the time to write this to advise other perspective buyers that there is a strong possibility that the Comet SB-14 will not load on Six Meters, at least not in a mag-mount situation.