Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-ONE Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-ONE
Yaesu FT-ONE Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $2,895.00
Description: Yaesu's Early 80's Top Of the Line Radio.
More info: http://www.foxtango.org

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-ONE.

N8NN Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2006 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Top Quality from the 80's  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the original owner of an FT-ONE from the first production run. Mine has a transformer power supply, not the lighter duty switching supply in later models. I have every option installed and every factory mod performed. This radio has performed perfectly for more than 25 years!

Within the first three months of ownership Yaesu recalled my FT-ONE to correct the IF Shift/Width function that was not properly aligned at the factory. They did this at their expense, including shipping! The IF Shift/Width control has maintained alignment for 25 years.

The FT-ONE is a joy to operate. It has a good look and feel. It was a leading-edge radio in it's time.

I have a Yaesu FT-1000 Mk V Field. This radio is much quieter and more convenient to operate than the FT-ONE; however, that's not a fair comparison. You should expect today's good transceivers to out perform the FT-ONE.

If you find a clean, operating FT-ONE, grab it! You will not be disappointed. (Mine is not for sale.)

73, Bert

DK3HV Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2006 04:42 Send this review to a friend
A good piece of ham radio history  Time owned: more than 12 months
Friends,
I want to confirm the most reviews I saw here below. I also own a "nice old lady" called FT-One. Whow... of course it is not a full featured rig like my different Ft1000 versions... but I also like it. It is simple, very stable and easy to use. The tx audio works with the MD100 not bad. So... if you love the old radios and you can get a Ft-One in good shape...why don`t buy a piece of Ham radio history. Greetings from Munich
Hanno, DK3HV
www.yaesu-museum.com

KC9CME Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2005 18:06 Send this review to a friend
"GREAT RIG"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have taken the time, and read all the reviews, Eveyone is intitled to there own judgement call's, All I can say, Is that I have had mine for over (2) two years. I like mine alot. I have had many offers to buy it, But I always back out. I just want to keep it. Mine is fully loaded. All the options, Just a great rig. These are just my thoughts,

TNX DON W9DMW

PY3KT Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2005 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Functional transciever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sometimes I see a ham colleague to give «zero» for some equipment and this makes me to think about the validity of the absolute zero. I can´t believe that a Yaesu FT-ONE can be labeled with a sonorous zero, but respect the opinion. I find that it is a good equipment that used the best technology of his time. It fits to remember that in earlier models of 80's had very fast tecnology upgrades, perhaps the FT-ONE has been an example of that I speak. In my transciever (factory 1981) along this time I only added some Yaesu update kits and a lab service made a small check on the reception frequency. Besides is working very well, it have a nice look on the table´s shack, making a perfect matched pair with my Yaesu FT-226R, that works the bands of 2m and 6m.
Enjoy it and greetings from Brazil.
PY3KT - Joel

ZL2BBS Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2005 14:51 Send this review to a friend
A prized possession  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the early 1980s Yaesu had a very confusing product range. This was about the time when rigs with tube finals were on the way out. Both Yaesu and Kenwood ran tube rigs and solid state rigs together for a while in the marketplace. Kenwood with the TS830 and TS930, Yaesu with the FT101ZD and FT902, and the FT One and FT980. Then they came up with the strange FT102, which had three 6146Bs in the PA.
My guess (like another reviewer) is that Yaesu wanted to put a big box general coverage transceiver right at the top of the market to compete with the Collins KWM380, and maybe to try entering the commercial or even military market, which was Collins' stronghold. The FT One was priced slightly below the Collins but way higher than most other ham transceivers at the time. It would be interesting to know how many FT Ones were manufactured altogether, and how many were sold to commercial users.
To me, the design and construction of the FT One suggests it was aimed at the professional user rather than the amateur. Its build is similar to good quality test instruments of the same era.
It is true that early production units had problems, especially in the IF board area. I understand the original PSU was switchmode but hastily replaced by a conventional one.
My FT One has had an unknown number of previous owners but is in near mint condition with all options fitted. I work mainly CW and occasionally SSB. It performs well, I have had no trouble with it at all, and the 'warble' on fast tuning doesn't bother me. It gets on frequency and stays there. I like the selectivity controls. Most of all, I like the look and feel of the radio. It has big knobs and switches all in the right places, and the frequency displays are superb.
A rugged and beautiful piece of engineering.

WB6NVH Rating: 0/5 Dec 3, 2004 02:26 Send this review to a friend
All Time Dog  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on the other comments on this radio, I am inviting the lynch mobs by saying this, but in my experience the FT-One was the all time dog of ham rigs of the 1980's. I worked for a Yaesu dealer and local service center when the FT-One was introduced (about 1981) and we could not keep ours running as a demo radio, not to mention the unhappy customers who bought one. The biggest problem was with the IF shift feature which would go out of alignment, and "dead receiver" issues. The synthesizer design was crude and noisy, as well as unstable. It was an impressive looking radio with lots of features, but it was totally unreliable and the factory service center in Paramount, Calif. seemed clueless as to what to do. Ours went back at least three times and crapped out each time within a day or two of its return. I have to congratulate the others who have managed to get this rig running and actually like it, and I hate to sound like a troll, but as a dealer who lost money on these gold plated cockroaches when they were introduced, I would never want to see another. If you're thinking about buying one, better be an electrical engineer with a lot of test gear or be an extremely lucky person.

WZ1F Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2004 11:10 Send this review to a friend
best ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I think by far this is the top of the line. Ive had this all gone thru by a tech in Florida. This rig has all the filters, general coverage,fm , am ,fsk.etc etc. This radio got a bad name because it would transmitt 1500c up or down. 10-160 meters,warc bands and the new 60meters.When the tech put in a new Ram board upgrade and two new crystals the radio came alive. Its dead on freq now.no drift at all. Best radio ive owned..

VE2DC Rating: 2/5 May 9, 2003 14:00 Send this review to a friend
NOT one of Yaesu's best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tried 2 of them...
Great RX... nice construction, looks good ... best noise blanker I ever used... great RF performance for it's day

But... poor TX audio quality... especially with the processor on, and a quirky... unacceptable... synthesizer... Do you often get reports that you have drifted if you use the RIT? Here's why... and most using these radios don't even realize it. The sythesizer actually steps in 100Hz steps... the last digit actually uses a D/A circuit to "rubber" the synthesizer reference frequency in 10Hz steps. The result is the RX/TX can only be offset by *exact* multiples of 100Hz. What can happen if you use the RIT is... you nudge the RX frequency 10Hz one way, the TX can either follow or step as much as 90Hz the opposite way, depending on what the last hidden digit is... enough to notice, especially on modes such as RTTY... The problem was the technology Yaesu used was already obsolete the day the radio was released (4-bit processor as used in eary '80s hand calculators). It did break new ground... like Yaesu's FT207 synthesized 2M portable... but sometimes pioneers just prepare the way for others to do it better... not always "good business"!

K4HX Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2003 08:03 Send this review to a friend
A vintage Rolls Royce  Time owned: more than 12 months
I presume that if you are reading this, you are thinking of buying one of these old Yaesu beauties. I can only share with you my own impressions of this fine classic radio.

The one I owned for a while was in what most hams would call "mint" condition. I would recommend that if you want to buy one of these, you should consider only the ones offered for sale in top condition, as the early solid state design of this rig has many technical adjustments that, if incorrectly done, will greatly affect performance in a negative way.

The rig, if aligned and adjusted right, is a joy to use. An experienced operator will be able to use the rig's variable bandpass and filter combinations to acheive wonderful selectivity on both CW and SSB! The transmit audio is nearly hi-fi quality, and with a decent desk mic., will get you many compliments on the air.

Once powered up, the radio will delight you with a lovely multi-colored array of lights. The frequency readout is in large yellow LEDs. The twin meters glow a cool light blue-green. Other functions are marked with various red lights, etc. Really pretty to look at! Reminds one of Christmas! LOL

All of the controls work smoothly, and have a quality feel. The receiver sounds great, and is equal to anything on the market today, except for some of the selectivity features provided by advanced digital technology.

The rig has dual VFOs, excellent filtering, and a built-in CW keyer. The filters and the keyer, as well as an FM board for 10 meters, were options. Be sure the one you buy already has these options installed, as finding them today might be difficult. It's a heavy radio, and the cabinet is well made. The physical depth of the radio (front to rear) is noticably deeper than most. The internal fan is noisy, but can be made quiet by adding a resistor in series with the fan motor without losing too much cooling capacity.

All in all, my time with the Yaesu FT-ONE was pleasurable and positive. I would rate the rig's performance about equal to the Kenwood 930 class of radio...which ain't bad!!!

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2003 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid frt end  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own three of these radios and most our in dire need of service work now a very complicated radio by todays standards and will costabout three hundred dollars for a quailfied shop to align and most likly replace a couple crystals State of the art in 1982 but its great show by today standards 12 vfo all mode am ssb forunner of the ft1000 and above and really gave Collins run for the moneygood examples with all the options will comanda good price and recent service show bringa round 1000 to 1200 so rig that our incomplete 400.00-600.00 parts our few far between and expenseive most main boards our still in stock talk too Sal in Parts at Vertex he can find them for you. I enjoy the radio excellent audio and always great reports Keeper for rigs that raise the bar