Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | E-Z Way Tower Help

Reviews Summary for E-Z Way Tower
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Crankup/Tilt-over Tower

You can write your own review of the E-Z Way Tower.

KB9OPW Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2009 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Great tower  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had 2 EZ Way towers now...one was my first tower and my son and I dug the wonder pole out in the freezing rain and snow. I planted it the next spring with a TA33. I moved and dug it out again, this time using a Toro Dingo with a 12" auger bit and a nylon strap pulled it straight out with ease and sold it. I now have another 40' that I planted last week and installed the tower yesterday with a Cushcraft A4S. I have found my original and am going to buy it back as the ham didn't ever put it up. I did find out that Aluma Tower does make a "Wonder Pole" type base now.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2008 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Practical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 2-section, 41', tilt-over, crank-up E-Z Way model nearly 27 years ago and I am still using it after moving it from my first house to this one. The direct burial base design with fins made it relatively easy to plant and then dig up and re-plant the tower all by myself (of course I was a bit younger more fit then!). I was able to lift the lower end of the tower onto the hinge bracket and bolt it all together, hook up the winches and cables, and crank it right up.

Since then it has seen several different antenna systems which have all been easy to install or remove thanks to the crank-down and tilt-over capability. Currently it holds a Tennedyne T-6 log periodic with 12' boom.

It has survived winds over 100 mph several times due to hurricanes and even one tornado, with no problems. With it cranked down just half way I think it would withstand even more wind than my brick house.

The only caveat is that the hinge design could have been more robust. It has a sturdy 1/2" solid steel pin but you must be careful to ensure the tower is plumbed well so there is no lateral sheer on the pin which could cause it to bind. Years ago I read of one owner of a larger E-Z Way who had a close call when his pin started to sheer during tilt-over. Nevertheless, it would be nice if some company would start building good affordable towers like the E-Z Way again.

KC9CS Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2008 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Wish they still made them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a used one with the sand base down here in FL. The sand base is about 16' long with fins,about 1/2 of that would go in the ground if you could dig that deep -- but in the fine sand down here, and the high winds (I live 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico on Florida's west coast -- think hurricanes!) I didn't trust the sand base. So I had a plate welded to the sand base after cutting about 8' off of the post. My model is either the 50 or the 55 foot - 2 sections, crank up/tilt over. At this point it must be about 20 + years old and not a spot of rust, they really galvanized these towers nicely. I've replaced the cable, the winches are still in good condition. At the top is a 3 element Mosley Classic 33, a 19 element long boom 2 meter Cushcraft 2 meter antenna and an 11 element Cushcraft 440mhz antenna. The tower also supports two Alpha-Delta 160-80-40m Twin Slopers. At about 15 feet on a standoff bracket is a separate 2meter/440mhz OSCAR alt-alz system. I no longer use the tilt-over because it would interfere with my pool cage, but the crank down is used in hurricanes. I do have the tower guyed although it wasn't required and the top of the tower has a torque bracket on it that came from a Rohn 25 tower. I THINK (don't quote me on this) that the top tower section is the same size as Rohn 25 so those sections might be able to be bolted on to increase the height. Mine is just over 62' tall with the mast and really works. Well built, great reputation here in Florida because I think they were built right in Tampa. It's a shame the company went out of business because they had a very high quality product. Mine came from an estate of a ham friend, I bought it for $200. It took about 4 ham friends to jack the tower out of the ground, get it on a long trailer and to my QTH. Mine is in 3.5 cu/yds of concrete. Details are at WWW.KC9CS.NET with pics.

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2007 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Tower!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Surprised this is only the second review for a tower that is about 50+ years old. I have two of them, of course, purchased used. Who knows how many previous owners??? My first was purchased from a guy who had it buried in sand close to the ocean. It showed corrosion but was well protected with some sort of tar. I put it on top of my Jeep with my then 10 year old son and drove on the LIE to NJ...yup, post, tower and antenna, what a sight!...we made it home ok. The second was purchased from a guy who "never put it up", was laying in his back yard for years. This one had an I beam in place of the wonderpost and was about twice the weight. This time I had a friend place it in his van and with half of it hanging out the rear we drove up from central NJ, again making home ok (no tickets!). They have been planted in my back yard for almost 15 years and have also experienced 50+ mph wind gust and (knock on wood) still standing and providing excellent service. If you can find one for about $200 grab it! They just don't make "stuff like this" anymore.

WA3G Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2007 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Tower  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the RBX-50 50 foot model with the Wonder Post. I was able to remove the tower and post from the sellers QTH and erected at my QTH.
I am the 3rd owner (at least) and required abnout $60 worth of welding repairs, 2 new winches and new winch cables to put the tower back in very good condition. I gas been up for 4 years and been through many 50 mph wind gust. So far I have had no problems.
Very easy to work on antenna, just crank down and tilt over.

Too bad the company went out of businwess. If you can find one in good condition at a reasonable price(mine was $200), grab it.