Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | CQRLOG for Linux Help

Reviews Summary for CQRLOG for Linux
CQRLOG for Linux Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $0 - free
Description: CQRLOG is an advanced ham radio logger based on MySQL database. Provides radio control based on hamlib libraries (currently support of 140+ radio types and models), DX cluster connection, online callbook, a grayliner, internal QSL manager database support and a most accurate country resolution algorithm based on country tables developed by OK1RR. CQRLOG is intended for daily general logging of HF, CW & SSB contacts and strongly focused on easy operation and maintenance.
More info: http://cqrlog.com/

You can write your own review of the CQRLOG for Linux.

K8WDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2012 02:47 Send this review to a friend
After 1 year  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just wanted to give my 1 year review. I see some have had trouble, this is due to the distro not the program, I had some problems as well, but once I found a distro that would run it all has been good, and it did not take long, may be issues with hardware and the disrto, not sure. Anyway, I have tried all of them for a period of time and I like CQRlog the best, this is my opinion, to list a few DXlabs, good, but not for me, HRD, well talk about bugs, maybe the new owners will fix it, although at what cost to you!, CQRlog, just works for me, the details window is great, put in a call into the logger and the details will tell you if you need that QSO for a QSL, for CQ zone, ITU Zone, IOTA etc. I like that, the DX cluster works nice not a bunch of usless info,and the Xplanet is nice as well lists the spots on a adjustable world globe, the awards section is great and the filtering is fantastic no hoops to go through to find out what stations I worked in a particular state. and CQRlog supports SQL filtering not sure how to do that yet, I haven't need it yet.
CQRlog is always being improved, Its LOTW integration is one of the best, so simple, to use and set up, when you do a download it tells you what new ones you got including mode band etc, uploads one click of a mouse, it finds the ones that have not been uploaded and sends them off. nice, the next update will include EQSL support as well, looking foward to that, should be out this month, as I am typing this,
The integration with Fldigi is great as well, this is what I consider to be the best Digi program out there, and it supports free look ups through HamQTH.
All in all I think in my opinion that this is one of the better loggers out there, does what I need it to do, with out a 400 page online manual, I got it up and running in no time, and now can focus on the 180 page manual for my rig.
BTW Peter is also the creator of HamQTH so yes you guessed it this is integrated into the program, no more QRZ screw ups, because they decided to change something, While this software is free as are the look ups, through HamQTH, If you decide to use the program please buy Peter a cup of coffee, he needs it with all the hard work he puts into these two programs.
Oh yea it also supports QRZ lookups which is broken right now but no big deal with HamQTH available, all is good, QRZ lookups should be fixed with the next update.
To bad for all those windows users.....
Tom, K8WDX

WC5B Rating: 1/5 Oct 19, 2011 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Great looking, but unstable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It looks like it would do everything I could ever need. In my longest time allowed (about 10 mins) before crashing again, it seemed to be very nice in how it interfaced with LOTW and the DX Cluster. Unfortunately its VERY unstable. Not sure if its related just to newer distro's or not. Want to change log name? Locked up. Want to make a new log? Locked up. Accidentally put in two periods in a frequency? Crash to desktop. Want to restart and try again. How about bring that DX Cluster back up. Nope, sorry, Locked up. Its a shame, because it looks like if it was stable that it would be better then just about any log out there, linux or win. Paid or opensource.

K8WDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2011 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I switched to Linux at the beginning of 2011, had a hard time finding a good logging program, finally ran into CQRLOG, this is a great program I was use to some good ones on the windows side and had gone through several HRD, Dx Labs, Logger32, all were ok, Logger32 was the best, although it took a long time to learn and I still had not gotten close to mastering it.
I loaded up CQRLOG, and started using it. WOW I was on the air in no time fully set up and ready to go. works with Fldigi, which is the best program for digital, and has the best LOTW support out of them all. Peter is real fast to fix and issues that may arise.
If you work portable this is bay far the best logger you will find, here is why. when you load up your portable log, all you have to do is click on update data base, It will either up date the whole log, through QRZ, or you can search the dates and update that way. It will update everything that you could not put in while working portable, IOTA info, grid, Name, address, County, zones, etc...
Next lets say it took you some time to get that portable log loaded up, in the mean time you have made a bunch of QSO's from the house, its been a month, you load up you portable log, now you want to load them up to LOTW, no worries just hit the upload button and CQRLOG will find the entries that have not been loaded to LOTW yet and automatically send them off.
Try that with one of those windows loggers. I am a very happy CQRLOG user, thanks Peter for such a nice Logger that is very easy to use and set up. 73!

OH2GBA Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2010 02:57 Send this review to a friend
Best linux logger  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is by far the best linux logger I have ever tried. I would like to highlight the great support for CQRLOG. Just post your bug/request or any other comment to the cqrlog website forum and you'll be heard.

Perhaps LNXAUTHOR should have done the same? Or should just stick with the virus-like m$ experience ...

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 0/5 Aug 13, 2010 17:31 Send this review to a friend
awful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
decompressing the archive results in a non-sensical install and virus-like experience! AVOID! BEWARE!

KB4MB Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2010 06:18 Send this review to a friend
The best game in town for Linux  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great interface, updates are great, qrz & lotw integration are seamless - no complaints.

Nice installer (rare for linux!), and the rig interface via hamlib is great. The ability to capture info from fldigi and put inside cqrlog without having to do anything is pretty neat, too.

There are always things that can be quirky with linux software (sometimes function rules over form), so my preference for one window over several is my own problem - but other than that, everything is placed well, and I am very pleased that this software is still current and not abandoned.

For any contesters who use linux, there is javalogger http://www.qsl.net/w1jq/ which might suit you better...

N6OSB Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2009 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Best linux Logger  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After trying to get jLog to work for months.. I've realized that CQRLOG is the best logger for linux. jLog dosen't look as clunky.. But jLog lotw & rig control appear broken.

I've tried many other linux loggers. CQRLOG is simply the best.

KR4EY Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2009 04:50 Send this review to a friend
The Best Linux Logger  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one excellent logging program, has everything you would need. Actively being developed and new features being added. If you are a Linux only user this would be the only logging program you will need. Most of the same features as DXLab.
New website as of Jan 1st 2009 (http://www.cqrlog.com/)

VK4KSS Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2008 06:48 Send this review to a friend
A really good logger that is evolving  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK so I am new to Linux.

I have been using another free LOGGER for years under MS Windows but recently decided to give Linux a try. This brought with it a steep learning curve, but I won't go there in this review ;-)

I tried many logging programs for Linux, some were not updated in years others just didn't "feel right" or offer the features I was after.

One feature I did want was a club membership tracking feature, and after YEARS of searching, I'm happy to say that CQRLOG fills that void nicely.

I have not experienced any bugs as yet but I would like to offer a solution to the bug KI6AZS notes regarding band names not appearing in the rig control panel.

After a bit of poking around I found that reducing the font size to 9 did the trick and the band names appeared... I don't know if this is due to screen resolution or what, but its a fix that works.

The authors Petr and Martin DO listen, and they will offer very quick help/ advice, even to Linux Newbies like me.

This is not a contest logger by any means, but if you are after a general purpose logger that runs under Linux I would recommend CQRLOG be on your short list.

Like the caption says "A really good logger that is evolving"

KI6AZS Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2008 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Promising  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a Linux-only puter user, I had been using XLog, which is a stable, established program that does the important things well, but is weak on some of the features I've longed for like searching on multiple fields, filtering, QRZ info and sorting on multiple fields.

CQRLOG offers a wide range of search and filtering utilities. You can search the records on most fields, and construct detailed, complex filters. Unfortunately you can't save these filters in the current version.

The QRZ access is seamless. CQRLOG has one feature I have *never* seen in any logger: Club membership databases that detect if a Callsign is a member of your active groups and fills in the log with that member's club #, and informs you if you need that member on that particular band. That is a VERY useful feature! It includes databases for most of the active clubs, and these databases are plain text and easily updated.

The grayline is good. There is an info box that informs you on whether you need a qsl or club member for whatever band you're on. There is a seamless link to the hamlib rig control library to control your rig (just basic stuff) and display frequency and mode.

Finally, there is a DXCluster window that logs onto your favorite DX cluster and provides console access to telnet commands or Web interfaces (no posting to the latter).

The reason I do not give the program a 5 star rating is some bugs in the interface. The log entry screen seems to revert back to *no edit* mode at random moments and you have to access the QSO list window and choose *edit*, then go back to the log entry screen...It gets tedious at times. The F4 key which should do the trick, doesn't for some reason, so you have to play musical windows. Another bug in the interface involves the band names (15, 20. 40, etc.) not displaying on the Rig control panel, just blank buttons that you have to memorize.

Lastly, the local time displays inexplicably 2 hours too fast once you get Zulu time to read correctly.

A serious lapse is the inability to export in the most asked for format for contests, namely Cabrillo format. For this reason I'll have to hold on to Xlog for now for contesting, until the author of CQRlOG graciously includes this capability.

However, for day to day logging, the *completeness* and luxuriousness of automatic QRZ and Club info, not to mention excellent DX cluster, grayline, filtering, search and sorting features make this the logger program of the future for Linux, IMHO.