Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-980 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-980
Yaesu FT-980 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,999.00
Description: HF Tranceiver, 10 - 160 m + WARC
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft980/ft980.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-980.

HK4OC Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2016 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Still very happy with it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my ft980 at AES 1983 lots of money at the time, together with a speaker,,base microphone MD100 ,cat system and interface for the Fl2100 work many ,many hours for about 7 years ,send it to yaesu in Cal. for check up in 1990 cost $350 and since still working and Do not sale it,use it every day in 40 meters along side with the FL 1200dx and team-up with the Fl7000,tri-band with 40 meters kit ,after 40 years of ham radio ,many Ken wood ,Drake,Collins and others still DX and talk to friends from all over, when conditions permits with my 980

KG4EYG Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2015 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice Vintage Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am very glad I decided to purchase this old radio a few years ago. My intent was to find a vintage, solid state radio for my shack. First, because of its looks. This radio is impressive. Everything is up front. Looks like the instrument panel in an aircraft. With the matching SP-980 speaker, it really is a show piece. Rx audio is better than my newer rigs including the FT-1000MP Mk V and the FT-950. Rich audio. I enjoy just listening. Matched with the MD-1 mic, my signal and audio reports are as good or better than using the equalizers in the other radios. Runs a little hot due to the power supply, so I only use if for special occasions. This is not a technical review on performance. However, if you are looking for an impressive edition for your collection, this is The Radio.

SV9DRU Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2012 01:16 Send this review to a friend
Great rig !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They do not make them like this any more.. Excellent solid construction, high quality circuit, chassis and controls. Not like the flimsy single - use rigs of today.

Inside, the boards are easily accessible and very well shielded. Easy to align and service if needed. Relatively low circuit complexity (compared to other analog high end radios) increases reliability and ease of maintenance.

Big radio, but tall and narrow (as opposed to flatter and wider like my TS-940) makes better use of my desk. Big analog, easy to read dual meters and lack of menus, everything at your fingertips.

From the operational point of view, the rado is a dream: Full smooth analog sound, excellent immunity to nearby strong signals, VERY tight bandpass filtering (not an iota of IMD in the busy 40m band at night in southern Europe).

Combine that with an excellent IF notch and one of THE most effective NBs I have ever used (comparable to that in the TR7 and better than the one in the TS-940) and you have a winner !

Paid a high price by todays standards for one of these rigs but came in as-new condition with the matching speaker and MD1 mic from Germany. A very good ham invesment in my "book"

73 to all,
Marinos, sv9dru / ki4gin

F4GUK Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2012 02:55 Send this review to a friend
After 25 years of service...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this tranceiver since 1988.

I use some "basic" HF rigs too, but the RX quality of this oldies & goodies FT-980 is, for me, still a reference, more than 25 year after it's conception by "Yaesu Mussen" !

The audio quality in TX (with a MD-1 microphone), is awesome for a tranceiver from the 80's.

Notch filter is great and combination of IF-Shift and IF-Width is very usefull for hard QSO on a busy band.

Of course, like other tranceivers from the past, it has only 12 poor memories and an achaic CAT System: when CAT System is "on", you lose control of 99% of the command buttons on the front of the tranceiver.
Note that the better CAT System for this rig, was the CAT interface developped for the Apple II (FIF-65A): it includes an A/D interface to convert the RF signal strength. Useful to program a "scanner fonction". But no commercial CAT program on Apple II computer: you needed to develop everything yourself ! It was funny: i did it in Basic applesoft & 6502 assembly language on Apple II GS, long time ago.

What else about this rig ?

AM and FM are both perfectly usable modes in TX: 60 W (and may be more) on AM without modulation distortion, and 100W on FM with a very clear modulation. Some modern +$4000 tranceivers, can't do that properly today...

With the MARS mods, the GEN VFO is usable in TX too.

The Squelch (usable only on FM), is a "mix" of a traditional "level squelch" & an "automatic squelch".

The Automatic Antenna Tuner FC-757AT is a great add for this Tranceiver, but it needs a specific communication cable (not the same as the FT-757).

I have encounter some iritating problems with the "clock board" during the 90's, but after i have fixed this board, everything is ok since the end of the last century... !

Please note that ventilation (with its noisy turbine) is terrific: it switch on even in RX, after some minutes.
Definitely, the Ft-980 can't be used in your sleepin'room, unless your wife is deaf !
In fact, you could add a little low noise extra vent in the up side to avoid ventilation "on" during RX.

I have swapped recently the traditionnal 8 Volts bulbs inside the 2 S-meters with 2 white band-LEDs, and it was renewed for the 21th century !

Yaesu has done a very good job with this 80's transceiver. I would be happy to be able to do the same review about my other tranceivers, after 25 years of use !

Note of 4.5/5 for the "clock board" problem during the 90's.

G4AWN Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2012 07:55 Send this review to a friend
A true Yaesu classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
A truly excellent piece of kit. Bought it late eighties for a mere 450 at local Ham store. Yes, had a couple of faults over the years which were not too difficult to fix. Yaesu make great gear, but the later kit does not do too much more, if anything, than the FT 980. However parts may well be a problem when it gets older since later kit is loaded with bespopke parts which may well not be available in a few years time (also, I don't "do" menus). As has been said upthead, if you have one - get another just in case. If you haven't, and the opportunity presents itself - best get one. In particular the receiver is truly extraordinary. It's a classic.

N3LZG Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2011 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Gone retro and very happy about it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a new owner of an FT-980, I feel obligated to review from the perspective of a user of a newer HF rig.

The 980 is certainly an impressive rig. Clean receive, good filtering, CAT control, general coverage receive and many conveniences that keep it relevent in the 21st century.

Being a user of a menu-driven radio (FT-857), it's nice to have all the controls up front. Nothing is buried. The unit is heavy (35 lbs./17kg), a real boat anchor with a handsome diecast bezel. Warm receive audio; it is a pleasure to listen to this rig. TX audio quality is superior to my 857. With the processor switched in, I get heard. Add the IF shift and width, manual notch and peak (for CW), who needs DSP?

That said, it is an older rig. The way it works seems a bit quirky to this modern rig user. The digitally simulated vernier readout is interesting, but not sure what it is trying to accomplish. Care must be taken when running split. You have to stay within the same band or risk damage to the radio. Operating split is different also because the memory function is used, rather than having two VFOs like most modern radios. There are a limited number of memories (12). VOX and break-in must be on for CW. That said, when you switch back to SSB, you have to remember that VOX must be turned off again.

The FT-980 in use

I have been able to make several DX phone contacts so far, with little effort. When I use the 857, is wasn't unusual for me to have to repeat my call many times. For CW, operation is quiet (no loud relays) and receive with the narrow (250Hz) filter dials out everything but the station of interest. Over the last weekend, I had some fellow hams help me optimize mike gain and processor settings. In a head to head between the FT-980 and the FT-857, they said the 857 was no match vs the 980.

Had I known a year ago what I know now, I would have looked for one of these radios instead of the FT-857.

73, Andrew

WP4KTF Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2007 05:45 Send this review to a friend
Mi 980 es fenomenal!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
...I bought mine used for $400 from an HP1 friend while stationed in Panama' around '94-95 and have been ENCHANTED by this big rig ever since. At the time, he also threw in a 5 band vertical and the external speaker to round off the deal. That antenna I sold, 'cause I already had an R-7, but the speaker and the YM-34 mike are always hooked up to it. The VFO might be slightly off and "cold solder points" do act up every now and then, but other than that, it is truly relaxing to sit in front of my 980, slap a pair of headsets on and enjoy its glow, while turning its shiny knob for signals! I have enjoyed doing so for over 13-14 years now and, God willing, intend to keep doing so for many more to come!

I recently upgraded to General and began tinkering once again with the dusty keyer and bug. I have also considered adding portability by investing in an 897R (and possibly an 8800), but you can credit the 980 (and my FT-2200, and my FT-470, and ...catch my drift?) for having made me a truly Yaesu fanatic shortly after becoming a ham in '91! I do have a couple of Kenwood and ICOM dual banders in my modest shack, along with an Alinco talkie, and they are all outstanding rigs, but the Yaesus I can operate in the dark, with my eyes closed...

Just recently, I picked up the perennial mess around the desk and also took some pictures. A couple of the hams that saw the pics said that they "wish had money to burn right now to make shack look like yours"...hihi...and all because of its centerpiece, the Yaesu FT-980. One even loved the many buttons on it. For fear of unsolicited offers, I'll just make sure, those fellows don't get near my 980.

I'll eventually take care of the solder points, maybe someday that I compromise long enough not to continue to enjoy this rig's exceptional reception, but do know, that my FT-980 is NOT for sale. :-)

Siete Tres, Jorge

W8BBM Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2007 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid Big Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my FT-980 as a big rig backup 3 years ago knowing it needed a few minor repairs. Those completed, I find this old rig as spledid to operate. There is no doubt that while the rig is strong in eye appeal, it is also a very nice performer. I absolutely love using it on both CW and SSB and consistently receive excellent reports. The look and feel of the rig is substantial and I take mine up to my cottage where I feel like I'm at my home shack with the big rig in front of me. Drawbacks...yes, there is no internal antenna tuner and the dial tuning can be slightly jumpy because of the 10hz step tuning but that is hardly a frequent issue. If so, even the fussy user only needs to push the dial lock button when in a rag chew and forget about it. If you enjoy CW, the use of the built-in peak audio filter will prove to be an outstanding tool even without the narrow CW filter installed. Listening to AM is a true pleasure with the AM-wide filter kicked in. The fidelity is quite pleasing. I like that the controls are large, logically laid out and easy to get to.

Perhaps the best news about this rig is the price. I purchased mine with matching filter speaker for $500 and believe it is worth every penny. It is true that Yaesu doesn't support the radio anymore but as long as you don't operate AM, FM or packet all day, you should get MANY years of service from the radio. If you want to hear mine on the air, drop me an email at radioroom@hotmail.com

All of that said, when buying ANY used amateur equipment I would stay away from one that is well worn, experiencing significant issues or coming from an individual you have not spoken with.

God Bless All,

W8BBM

IK4CIE Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2007 12:10 Send this review to a friend
good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice radio, i can copy weak signals without problems; easy to improve output power up to 150 watt; nice to have band-filters for HAM bands and general filters for 0-30 MHz receiver.
Nice to see the two analog meters. Nice capability to mount a keyer inside. Still a good 20 years radio.
73 ! Victor ik4cie

KB3KCJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2006 06:29 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the proud owner of one (soon to be two) FT-980, both of which will be in operation. Since I got the first FT-980, I have been thrilled completely with the looks performance and ease of operation of this rig. The second FT-980 is on it's way as a trade for a FT-767GX and an FT-707. I can't wait to have a matched set of FT-980's to display in the shack. The rigs are not without their problems just like any other rig no matter who makes it. There was a circuit board in the first one which was loaded with "bad" solder joints and that is how I got to be the fourth owner. Since being fixed a couple of times, it has performed flawlessly and I always get great audio reports with the MD-1 microphone. There is just something about this radio. If one of them goes south, I will have the other one to fix it with - assuming that the parts that go bad are not the same in each radio. The parts for these old beauties are hard to come by, but the rig is well worth the wait for parts or whatever. If you have one - keep it, and if you don't - get one. Great rig.