Reviews Categories | DXpedition & ham radio vacation rentals | A VP9 DX Apartment Help

Reviews Summary for A VP9 DX Apartment
A VP9 DX Apartment Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Rental Apartments available for DX operation overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
More info: http://vp9ge.com/

You can write your own review of the A VP9 DX Apartment.

KU9C Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic long weekend with XYL, going again!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, let me say that time spent with Ed, VP9GE, is an incredible experience. All that has been written about Ed is spot on, and I'll just add that him 'being there' made the weekend spent with the XYL a very special time. He added so much color on the Island, his life there, and made sure we saw the 'special sights' that the Island has to offer. In fact, my QSL will feature the sunset that he alerted us to. A true gentleman, and a very gracious host.

Ed's apartment is essentially walk in and operate. I brought my own rig, a FT100D for size. Made about 2000 Q's (it was supposed to be a 'vacation style operation, but when the pileups started, who can resist!). We still had plenty of time on the island to explore, and enjoy the food and drink! Had a great opening on 6, and with Ed's A4S and a tuner, made over 200 contacts. Ed has a 6M M2 beam, but the opening came up unexpectedly, so I reacted with what I had available!

I'll be going back, and as it's easy to get to Bermuda with the flights from NY and other cities, it's quick, easy and very reasonable to visit. When you walk out, look for VP9GE plates on Ed's white van, and your DX experience will begin!

THANK YOU ED! 73 Steve KU9C/VP9

AG2AA Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2013 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Great spot for hamradio and/or vacation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My current callsign is AG2AA. This is my first time with Ed. My wife and I stayed in his Apt #7. My intention was for 70% vacation/holiday and 30% ham radio. Any time you get on the air for more than 5 minutes and somebody puts you on the DX cluster, be ready for a 1+ hour pile-up from both NA, SA and Europe. I was fortunate enough to catch a couple good 10M openings and worked several JA and VK 59+. I also agree with previous posts about the busses and ferries being a great and easy way to get around the island. A market and pizza shop 5 minutes away, lots to do on the island generally. Great place for a holiday, with or without ham radio.

OH2MQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2012 13:19 Send this review to a friend
PSK31/63 week!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am ham since 1952 and now fulfilled my dream of
being a rare dx. As my interest is in PSK-mode, I decided to forget other modes. And VP9 on PSK is
really rare and needed by EPC award hunters (like
myself).

My XYL and I were travelling to Florida and Bermuda was on the route. Excellent choice. Europe was easy to work to (95% of contacts) and the location is really good with good antennas. The radio was my own ProIII, 40 W. A total of about 800 contacts on PSK modes in one week.

Ed was such a good host, as can be read in all
reviews. Highly recommended.

OH1VR Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2011 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - good service  Time owned: months
First visit in 2007 and fifth in January 2011:
two times CQ WW CW SB20LP and two times CQ WW 160 LP. My first visit - not a contest trip -lasted only 48 hours and I was hooked. Ed VP9GE gives you a good service and it makes this venue to be easy: antennas are up, fast Internet connection, even xcvr is available. In less than one hour after the arrival you can be on the air. And one thing: VP9 is still very atractive DX QTH. The planning of my sixth trip is in the process. Seppo OH1VR

N1SNB Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2011 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Place - Great Host  Time owned: months
I've been to Ed's place twice now. He's a great host with a great station to use.

I look forward to returning again soon. Highly recommended for some R & R, DXing or Contesting or even family time.

WW3S Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
great place for a Dx-vacation  Time owned: more than 12 months
Stayed at Ed's twice, first time with ND8L as a mutli-single op in CQWW, and the second time with my wife for RTTY roundup...simple antennas, but with the ocean 1200ft from your door, and nothing but salt water between you and Europe and the USA East coast, simple antennas work....Ed supplies a radio, if needed, and airport pickup and drop off....Bermuda is a beautiful island, with great public transportation. The nice clean bus drops off and pickups at the end of the drive, as is an easy way to get around. The apartments are nice and clean, and Ed is super nice to deal with....highly recommended....

VE3DZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2008 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Miraculous location!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first trip to Bermuda. I stayed at Tarrafal Apartments and used radio and antennas provided by the owner - Mr. Ed Kelly, VP9GE. Antennas looked modest at first sight, but boy was I mistaken about them! I took part in CQ WPX CW Contest and managed to make over 2600 QSO's on all bands in 26 hours of operation, which seems to be #1 Claimed score in LP category so far. I felt REAL LOUD, especially on 40 and 20, using just bear radio. The location is A1 for Contests like ARRL, WW, IARU, WAE or WPX and would be a dream for any DXer who likes pile-ups.
Ed is very helpful and provides a lot of extra services like Airport ride and pick-up, cable TV, DSL Internet, etc... I was very happy with my stay at Tarrafal and would definitely come back some day, most likely with my family.

VJP Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 08:38 Send this review to a friend
great place at affordable prices  Time owned: months
It is not so easy to find comfortable and affordable accomodation in Bermuda. What a pleasant surprise to learn about Ed Kelly and his Tarrafal Apts. in Hamilton Parish. Tarrafal is located in a garden setting not far from the airport, right in front of the property there is a bus stop for downtown Hamilton. You will really enjoy meeting Ed Kelly who personally will look after you and make your stay a memorable one.

AA1AC Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2008 11:14 Send this review to a friend
VP9 =Terrific!  Time owned: months
I have had the good fortune of operating as AA1AC/VP9 from the property of Ed Kelly,VP9GE, almost 10 times over the years. Ed provides 5-star hospitality and support throughout your stay.

Ed's qth is minutes from the airport and his fine station and equipment have allowed me to make over 20,000 qso's as VP9. Ed is a terrific host and operating from his qth is one of the highlights of my ham career.

I could not more highly recommend the qth of VP9GE as a DX getaway

K4AVC Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2008 08:19 Send this review to a friend
A great holiday  Time owned: months
After working my last dxcc entity in the spring of 2007, I started to wonder what it would be like to be on the other end of the pileups.
Being very active on 60 meters since it opened July 2003, someone mentioned that I might proposition the Department of Telecommuications in Hamilton, Bermuda to use the 60 meter band.
With Ed's help and E-mails for my temporary license,I also got permission to try the 60 meter band in October 2007. I was in a state of euphoria for days since no one else had yet to get permission to operate from Bermuda using 60 meters. Ed also got permission at the same time and I did not find out until I came home. A fine gentleman indeed to let me go first. I made 71 contacts and during the day my xyl painted some lovely scenes all over the Island and we toured most of the tourist stops but had enough time to just "hang out" around ST.Georges. We even bumped into Michael Douglas and his lovely wife when we shared our umbrella over lunch. Recommend it highly for a reasonably priced ham or otherwise stay in Bermuda. Ed Kelly, Vp9GE, epitomizes the traditional highest form of "Southern Hospitality" Gary, K4AVC