Reviews Categories | DXpedition & ham radio vacation rentals | A VP9 DX Apartment Help

Reviews Summary for A VP9 DX Apartment
A VP9 DX Apartment Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Rental Apartments available for DX operation overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.
More info: http://vp9ge.com/

You can write your own review of the A VP9 DX Apartment.

W1IVB Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2007 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Great hamming and a vacation also  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife, Ina, who is not a Ham, and I have rented an apartment at VP9GE's QTH twice. Ed is most friendly and accommodating. Upon arrival and pickup from the airport Ed stopped at a grocery store so we could buy some provisions and also made a stop where we could pick up a bus and ferry pass.

The unit we rented has air conditioning, heat and a TV available. There is also telephone and internet service. A fully equipped kitchen and bath as well as a seperate room for sleeping and a sleeper couch are also available. The unit is spotlessely clean. Bus service is very adequate, convenient, always on schedule and services all parts of the island. The ferry service is a lot of fun and also convenient and reliable.

The hamming is world class. I used Ed's Yaesu FT-920, an excellent all band transceiver. His antennas that I have used are excellent. They include: a G5RV, a 160 Meter Inverted L, a Cushcraft A-4S four element beam with a rotor and a 40 M dipole. He also has 6 and 2 meter yagis.

If your traveling companion is not into hamming there are many interesting attractions and island shopping available along the bus and ferry routes.

We are looking forward to our next "Gentlleman's DXpedition" to Ed's QTH in Bermuda.

W6PH Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Great spot  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been operating in contests from VP9GE since year 2000. Ed Kelly has taken very good care of me as he does for everyone who stays there. I usually arrive a few days before the contest and go to the grocery store to stock up for the contest before arriving at the apartments.
I put up a vertical on the grass in front of the apartments and Ed and I check out the other available antennas, an A4S on a 30 foot tower, a 40 meter dipole that kicks ***, a 230 foot G5RV, and an inverted L for 160m (50 ft vertical and 80 feet horizontal with a couple radials). I usually bring my own rig and computer but Ed has several rigs available. The apartments are very comfortable and clean. The kitchens have everything you need to make your meals. As Kyle has said, Bermuda is easy to get to and there are no problems with customs if you have your operating permit with you. (The power limit is 150 watts input.) Ed takes care of getting the permit for you before you arrive. Ed is a sixth generation Bermudian and is full of historical knowledge of Bermuda. He is also a walking encyclopedia which you will discover when you chat with this humble gentleman. Also a great sense of humour (spelled that way on purpose.) After your stay here, you will have a friend for life. The atmosphere is very relaxed and you will not feel like you are in some resort hotel. For contesting, it is possible to place in the top five worldwide. VP9 propagation is very similar to the mid-Atlantic US not the Caribbean. Nonetheless, you will have a lot of fun. Be advised that you will receive a lot of QSLs to answer. Google "VP9GE" for info.
Kurt, VP9/W6PH

K3TRM Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 2005 I decided I was long overdue for a vacation (or 11 years overdue for a honeymoon, according to my XYL). I also knew that I wanted to try being on the other side of the pile-ups for a change as well. At the time I knew of Ed and his QTH by reputation and after doing a little research on Bermuda decided it would be a perfect place to go.

Ed's apartments are conveniently located five minutes south of the airport. They come with many of the comforts of home, including full kitchen, TV, Internet, etc. For hams, Ed also provides a nice assortment of antennas and equipment for you to use, or you can bring along your own.

Since our first visit, my wife and I have returned two more times..the last time with our daughters, because we were so excited about showing Bermuda to them. Despite its size, there's a lot to do in Bermuda, whether you are into sightseeing, watersports, or just taking it easy. It's a very beautiful island surrounded by clean beaches and aqua blue surf. Bermuda is also a very safe place with some of the friendliest people you are likely to ever meet!

It has been a pleasure becoming friends with Ed over the past few years. He does everything possible to ensure that you have a good time during your stay. He is a very gracious host and you will be challenged to ask him a question about Bermuda that he doesn't know the answer to!

Whether you are looking for a nice vacation, or a great DX / contesting location, I highly recommend staying with Ed. You can't help but enjoy yourself there!