Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-757GXII Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-757GXII
Yaesu FT-757GXII Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1495.00
Description: FT-757GXII HF Mobile/Base Radio
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft757gxii/line.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-757GXII.

KA1VF Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2015 15:54 Send this review to a friend
lots of bang for buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tend to keep things for too many years if they
are still useful, and I had my Yaesu FT-757GXII
for 21 years. I traded my Kenwood TS-520S setup
(rig, CW filter, vfo, speaker, mike, etc.) to get
the creature features of a modern rig. Obviously,
buying the Yaesu FT-757GXII was a good decision,
as was trading it for a Yaesu FT-450AT rig.

K4YZ Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2014 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Multi-Purpose Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Mk2 as I had previously owned a Mk1 which was, unfortunatgely, stolen while visting my Father in Florida.

I bought this mostly for the same reasons I had bought my Mk1, and that was ease of portability, quickly modified for continuous HF coverage for Civil Air Patrol and MARS, and it's built in CW keyer and easy controls.

The only thing I didn't like about the Mk2 was the "Mode Select" switches. It was an Up/Down buttons, and I prefered the Mk1's rotary switch.

I had the Mk2 as my primary rig for over 20 years, and sold it to upgrade to the FT-897D rig. I'd buy another one in a minute if I found one in good shape.

Steve Robeson, K4YZ
Winchester, TN

N4VBH Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great...after 20+ years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I've had this rig for over 20 years, now, and it still trucks along. I think I bought it new in 1989 or 1990 as my first HF radio. I've always loved the look of this radio, even today.

It has honestly had a couple of the common problems that are notorious for these radios (poor receive and/or no FM RX), but I repaired those issues without much problem (and it was a cheap repair, other than a few hours of my labor). While I was in it, I lubed the VFO knob and performed a basic re-alignment. Common issues that are discussed on several websites.

It sits here today as my 3rd rig on my desk, a backup to my backup radio, a Kenwood TS-940SAT, which is a backup to my primary rig, an Icom IC-746PRO. I turn it on ever so often and have a QSO just to keep it in shape and confirm everything is okay. I guess I should probably sell it, but it was my first HF radio, and, heck...it works fine and looks sharp! I also have the matching PS/Speaker.

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 17:27 Send this review to a friend
I like this radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had mine for a week or so now, but have used it every day, it has non of the reported faults (mostly due to bad diodes or xtals) I get excellent reports on my audio using a Yaesu MD-1 microphone, the alignment is spot on, I was lucky to get one that had not been tampered with, by the look of things it had never been opened. I love the 6KHZ AM filter on general coverage receive (I have ordered a Palstar speaker to go with it) I absolutely love no menus. I am really impressed with the radio the S meter tracks my Flex 1500 perfectly. Nice size very usable rig if you get a good one you will not be disappointed

KI4FJS Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 15:12 Send this review to a friend
unbeatable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Any rig that has withstood the effects of the African tropics for 15 or so years as has mine, and has come back home to the USA and still works 100% has to be considered unbeatable. This rig last worked in Africa as TU2DP and EL2C, and is now working as KI4fjs. If you see one for sale in working condition, grab it and run!

N0RRS Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2012 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my FT-757 GXII for 6 months now and am extremely impressed in the quality and workmanship of this old rig. Here is a breakdown of the Pro's verses Con's.
PRO'S: Rugged construction, ease of use, quiet fan, huge heat sink, easily converted to 60m, Very effective NB circuit, VOX, internal CW keyer, comes with 500khz CW filter, has notch filter and IF shift, excellent microphone audio. CAT controlled.
CON's: LED display can 'flicker' at times, dim meter back lighting, VFO knob can bind up if not properly lubricated. 30 year old analog technology.
All in all I rate this radio a 5 for overall performance and durability. The only issues I have had so far have been the VFO knob needed lubed and the LED tended to flicker, both problems were easily cured. This is a GREAT radio for the beginner, or a fine backup rig for the veteran operator. If you can get one of these rigs for around $400 buy it. This rig is a 30 year old relic from the 1980's so a parts rig might be a good idea just in case.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 21:59 Send this review to a friend
nice receiampve amp built in  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had 1 that i got in a trade and used it for awhile in the mobile mostly and then got rid of it to a relative that got his Amateur certificate. But ok its got a really nice Noise blanker and Receive amp , basically a older rig but if you can get 1 in good condition it will be satisfying for sure. 73

W6USC Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2010 13:31 Send this review to a friend
built like a TANK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
what a lucky day i went with wife on local garage sales and saw this nice radio in the box with packing material and cables, so i asked the owner how much for the (CB Radio) she said thats what that is my husband left in the box when he bought it and didnt know how it works? so i offered $40.00 dollars for it and she said SOLD what a deal went home like a new kid and hooked it up and wow it worked full power and the only thing i did was clean the vol control pots. great audio reports on 20 meters a sure keeper with the collection ...

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Still a great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
They don't build them like this anymore. A solid versatile radio. Flip an internal switch and your on MARS or 60 meters. The receiver is excellent. The QSK is quiet and the fan rarely comes on, and when it does, the fan is very quiet. I bought my first one new in the 80's and it travelled the world with me, through the desert, jungles, and wet filthy conditions and it never let me down. Out of all the older radios that sell for around $350.00, this one is hard to beat.

2E0SFX Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2010 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Great peice of kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one 21+ years ago for my dear departed Uncle a G4 instructor and he was a cw man worked the world on it and a full G5RV, it came back to me on his departure to see the big man and it works beautifully i love it i paid over $3000 for it the PSU and mike but i have had that back in pleasure and some. I WILL NEVER PART WITH IT, i also have had 897 still running a 847,817 i could go on..........