Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-757GXII Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-757GXII
Yaesu FT-757GXII Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1495.00
Description: FT-757GXII HF Mobile/Base Radio
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft757gxii/line.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-757GXII.

ZL4TGH Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Old reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine since 86. I had a brand new MK1 and another Ham brought me a MKII and swapped with me. He liked the CW filter better.
The dreaded VFO bearing lockup happened to me but it was easy for me to fix, caused by lack of lubrication. It's always worked well for me and it's been abused, like the crazy loads it tested for me. It's been a good driver for amps from 500w to 2500w and I seem to be repairing the amps not the radio more often than I like. The front panel is easy to use after coming back months later after my interest had wained. Not like some of my other radios, having to learn how to drive them again. Only one little niggle, thats the mode button, wish is was a rotary switch like the previous model, other than that it's great!

WU1E Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2008 19:11 Send this review to a friend
All around nice HF radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine brand new in early 90's and it has served and still serves me well. I use a MD-1 desk mic and an SP-767 external speaker with it and love it. I decided to write this review because I finally had a problem with it. Not even electrical! More of a mechanical issue. The last couple of weeks I noticed the vfo knob was starting to bind up and today I could barely turn it. The short story is all that I had to do was pull the vfo knob straight off (takes a bit of force), then use a right angle philips to loosen the tension assembly, which allows the white plastic friction disc to be removed. You will see a lock ring on the shaft. Turn it so that the open side of the lock ring is facing up and drip some penetrating oil into the gap. Work it in really good until shaft starts to spin nice and free. I followed up with a bit of teflon lube and put it back together. I fired it up and quickly worked spain, trinidad & tobago, and grand bahama. Love this radio. I still want a FT-1000D someday but nothing wrong with my faithful GXII.

W9CPI Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2007 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good at everything!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for 17 years. While I've never been head-over-heels in love with it, the rig's virtues have grown on me over the years. It does everything pretty well. Built in FM for 10m, AM with a separate 6 Khz filter. CW with a narrow filter, QSK, and a keyer built-in. Separate RF/AF gain controls, switchable preamp, and switchable attenuator. IF shift and a notch filter. AGC fast and slow (but no off position). Noise blanker is adjustable, as is the squelch. General coverage receiver, 10 memories, and scan. The back panel has separate audio in/out for hooking up a computer to do digital modes.

At times the receive audio seems a bit harsh and noisy. The built-in speaker is small and poor. The switch for checking SWR is on the back panel and is awkward.

Mine has been to Ukraine with me and Paraguay twice, as well as several stops in the U.S. It's rugged, small, and versatile. I have worked 47 countries on RTTY/psk31 with it in the last 3 months, running about 20 watts to a vertical on 20 meters.

Sure, I would like a top-of-the-line rig with all the trimmings. But I'll still keep this one. I wish everything I owned worked as well as my 757!

N5EAT Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2007 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Quite Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first new radio, purchased in 1986 or so. It had/has the best noise blanker i've ever used on a rig. It also has a good built-in 500 hz cw filter. The receiver was not supposed to be that good, but I found that by using the if-shift, etc - i could pull almost anything out.
CW work was much easier with the included filter.

Everything worked on this radio. Something I can't say for many of the other rigs I've used.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2007 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig was great ! i have never had any problem with this rig, i wish i would kept it.but turn around and sold the rig ! shame on me.next i get anouhter rig that one this time i'll keep it next time around !

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/

VA2UT Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2007 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Must to have  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a third owner of this awesome rig really awesome.

Works very well on TX and RX good audio comin from speaker also the shift and notch do their job.

A must to have to anyone want a rig for mobile - base and portable operation.

WB5UDI Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2006 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Rig I Have Ever Owned!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the original owner of my FT-757 GX2, and have had it for 20 years now. It has seen years and years of operation. Very often I would just leave the rig on for days at a time.

I purchased a separate Pyramid power supply to drive the rig, along with the matching Antenna Tuner. I connected many a dipole and G5RV antenna to that unit and it always worked wonderfully.

Since this HF rig is the only one I ever owned, then my comments are totally biased and not helpful to compare with other rigs.

All I know is that all the functions have worked over the years and nothing has ever failed on this unit. My SSB reports have always been "very good audio" with the Desktop mike that accompanied the rig at that time.

I suppose I will keep using this rig until either it or I expire. I don't know what would entice me to want to change over to some other rig---but then, I never operated another rig. It's hard to believe that my operating enjoyment could be that much better to warrant a switch.

All in all, I am so glad that I purchased this specific model 20 years ago, brand new. It has been a faithful friend and companion for thousands of QSO's. It still is in mint condition as I have taken very, very good care of it.

Stan Weber
WB5UDI

KA7OEI Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2006 11:23 Send this review to a friend
A decent older rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having picked this radio up at a swapmeet for only $80, I didn't feel too bad about spending another $40 or so to fix it (most of that cost being for a service manual): Whoever'd had it previously had shorted the predriver's heatsink to the chassis, opening a choke and disabling the transmitter (something very easy to do, actually...) as well as "un-aligned" it as much as humanly possible by having seemingly randomly tweaked every adjustment in the radio.

Now that's its working, it's a pretty good all-around HF rig: It has a decent receiver and fairly good TX audio (according to others.)

Nit Picking:

Like other Yaesu rigs of that era, it uses "frequency pulling" in its synthesizer - which causes the 10 Hz tuning steps to be different sizes - possibly even with one or two being "backwards" as well as a slight perceived "jumping" every 100 Hz caused by this: This effect can be minimized (but not eliminated) by very careful alignment.

Its a reasonably good CW rig, having an adequate (but not stellar) CW filter included from the factory, as well as a built-in keyer.

Since I repaired it, I haven't had any additional problems, but I'm well-aware that there are certain parts that, if they fail, cannot be obtained except by obtaining them from a junked radio - but that's true of even some *much* newer rigs!

In the meantime, it's a nice "casual HF" rig...

PASTFINDER2 Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2005 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Good shortwave Rx  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine from Ebay and it seems to work alright but 1 problem. The audio on the ssb recieve blanks out occasionally. by the looks of it it is still recieving signals but I can't hear anything in SSB or any of the other modes except AM. Any Ideas on a fix? Haven't tried out the transmit yet for obvious reasons

WB1BPV Rating: 4/5 Jun 25, 2004 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this years ago(when I was living at home) after trading in a Kenwood TS-520s and about $300.It was the latest and greatest at the time.I made many cw contacts worldwide as well as SSB.It puts out about 125 watts, although I rarely go over 100.I use an R7 vertical up about 30 feet and a G5RV up about 15 feet.Sensitive front end.Voice Processor doesn't work too well, but always felt that was for those who needed an ego boost, not a voice boost(hihi).Only drawback is that on 10 meters, the frequency changes on its own.I called Yaesu.They suggested using a torroid.Didn't help.O well, just can't operate on 10.Anyone else have that problem and a solution, please email me at WB1BPV@yahoo.com.Almost forgot, I also used it mobile with a hamstick a few times, and it is a winner.Noise blanker works great!!If you find one used, go for it!!