Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-757GXII Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-757GXII
Yaesu FT-757GXII Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1495.00
Description: FT-757GXII HF Mobile/Base Radio
More info: http://www.qsl.net/sm7vhs/radio/yaesu/ft757gxii/line.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-757GXII.

KC4GMY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2003 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good transceiver...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only problem I had in 10 years was the tuning encoder and meter lamp went out. I ordered the parts from Yaesu for around $30.00 and replaced them myself.

VK4JAM Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2003 06:50 Send this review to a friend
A great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned a Yaesu 757 GXII for some ten months. I wanted to get to know the radio before writing this review.

Some background - this is my 1st Yaesu HF radio, prior to this I have used (and still have) a Kenwood TS120V and a TS520S with VFO-520, ATU-200, SP-520 and MC50. The 520S was my main radio for the last 20 + years. Many regard the TS-520S as a classic radio for good reason. Currently there are some 29 e-ham reviews and it scores an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 - not bad for a valve radio 25 years old !

I will rate the 757 against the 520S since that is what I am used to.

Sensitivity - about the same

Selectivity - the 757 is way ahead, with the notch filter and IF Shift it should be !!!

Power Output - the 520 is about 30 Watts ahead of the 757 on most bands, with the 757 pulling up at around 80W on a continuous tone input.

Speech processor - the 757 is good ... but the 520S is better. The average power is much higher with the 520S and the reported audio quality is better. BUT.... I have added a Ten Tec RF Speech Processor to the 757, and I use the Kenwood MC-50 mike with the processor. The radio's are now about the same. The addition of an RF speech processor does make a BIG difference.

Before when conditions got tough during a contest I would switch back to the 520S just to be heard... now I don't need to !!! This is the only weak area I have found with the 757.

Features - the 757GX II wins hands down - there is no contest. All modes across all bands, and a general coverage RX as well - with no additional boards to buy and install. What more could you want.

Value for Money Ė The Yaesu is great value for money. I was lucky to pick this up for Aust$600 (about US$300). It is in excellent condition. Iíve seen other 757ís for sale around this price and believe that this is a typical price for the radio. For the price it is a great radio.

It's a strange thing - I used to curse having to tune up the TS-520S when wanting to get on air in a hurry. But now I find I will connect and power up the TS-520 ... just for the pleasure to tuning in the radio, and the smell of the valves warming up.

Now I have the best of both. They are both excellent radios. I would give both a 5 out of 5, as they both perform exceptionally well.

WA7H Rating: 2/5 Feb 23, 2003 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't Like RF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won my Ft 757 GXII at a Hamfest in the late 80s, which is a good price since I only bought $9 in raffle tickets. I have since spent about $1500 in repairs over the years. Everytime I get it repaired I threaten to sell it but then it works so well when I get it back from the repair shop I end up keeping it, DUMB!!! Anyway the problems always stem from RF getting into the rig from one of my other radios. I have used this radio for packet, mobile and now at my apartment in Denver where there are no other HF radios so maybe it will continue to work until I sell it. I have the matching HD power supply which also needed repair and the matching auto tuner and desk microphone. I have talked with people over the years who loved this radio and almost all of them said it was their only radio. People I have talked to that had a 757 and other radios seem to have had the same problems I have struggled with. When it works it works well but when it donít it does very strange things.

K6RMR Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2003 23:16 Send this review to a friend
It is a good radio but try to  Time owned: months
Hello
I have a Yaesu 757GX2. The radios were made
beteen 1986 to 1989. They are full of parts that
are not available anymore from Yaesu.
My radio works great except the desplay is
blown. Yaesu can not repair it because the
desplay IC is not available any more.
The only way my radio can be repaird is to
find a Junker and hope the desplay board is OK.
Stan K6RMR

KB9PET Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2002 09:56 Send this review to a friend
A very good 1st rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased A FT 757GXII about 2years ago as an incentive to get my code down and upgrade.....finally almost there I got it from the original owner and it was in mint condition.I noticed some have complained about noise on recieve I noticed on am mode its noisy but is fairly quiet on ssb and cw .The original owner had all optional ssb cw filters.I did have 2 get a tech to do a alignment otherwise no problems If you are A ham on a budget this will do you fine average price depending on condition is 300-400 US dollars

KT8K Rating: 3/5 Sep 26, 2002 13:27 Send this review to a friend
good rig, but a couple of quirks  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this rig on Field Days and in the ARROW club station (W8PGW) in Ann Arbor Michigan the past few years. It's a good rig. The keyer works great with my Bencher paddle set. The receive is a little hard of hearing but the preamp takes care of that (we use it all the time on 20 thru 10m). On receive, however, the microphone remains connected to the audio amp, and can feed back via the speaker if the mic gain is turned up over a third of the way. I don't know if this indicates something wrong with our rig, or if it is a design flaw, but I have to keep the mic in my lap to avoid feedback when operating SSB. Fortunately for me, I operate mostly CW, but the SSB specialists in the club have to contend with it.
Overall it's a good rig, and if it can be had for $400 or less it's a good deal. I'll check back here and see if anyone has insights on the wierd audio performance.
73s de KT8K, - Tim, ARROW club station manager and trustee for W8PGW

K7NG Rating: 3/5 Sep 26, 2002 02:16 Send this review to a friend
Decent performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 757GXII from a fellow ham I worked with when he upgraded to a FT990. I have VERY LITTLE experience with one except in a mobile station - that's where I used mine. The rig I got had the INRAD 2.1 KHz SSB filter and this may have made my perceptions a little different than other's.
I have few complaints other than the small number of memories which made mobile operation a little more complicated (means dangerous) than otherwise might have been, until I developed a few tricks to streamline band changing and things like that. Actually I think the thing that smoothed out mobiling was when I ran the rig into a SGC 230 coupler and a 102" CB steel whip antenna.
I never had any issues with stability even with vibration in a mobile - and in a mobile setup dynamic range is less of a problem than might be seen in a fixed station and big antenna setup. Always got good TX audio reports, as long as I only used a teeny smidgen of speech processor. (Also, the Heil boomset I used might have helped). Receive audio quality I considered to be a little tinny and irritating, but hey, ya get used to it.
I still have the rig, which I intend to keep for a while as backup to my FT-900CAT. Three hard years of use in a mobile setup, several more years' operation by its' previous owner - and it's still ticking. 30 countries, 40 states while mobile, and many of them with darn good reports.

WI0T Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2002 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 757 GxII for about 14 years now.

The CW & SSB filters are little wide for my
liking. and the CW keyer speed setting is
non-linear.

Otherwise it's a good solid HF performer.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2002 22:05 Send this review to a friend
yeasu ft-757 GXII  Time owned: more than 12 months
YEASU 757 GXII,WAS THE BEST RADIO ,I BROUHT USED ABOUT $450.00 THE REASON I GOT IT IS.THAT I LISTEN SHORTWAVE,FOR ABOUT 3 OR 4 YEARS.THAN I GOT MY HAM LICENSE LAST YEAR AUG 4,2001, WILL HANG ON THE RADIO UNTILL I GET THE HIGHER CLASS LICENSE,OTHER WISE GREAT RADIO HAD NO PROBLEM AT ALL.
JACKIE KG4ORX

AC5XP Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2002 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these many years ago, bought it new when it just came out. It was an OK radio but I did not like the flimsy dial knob and the jumpy frequency synthesizer. But in all honesty, all radios of those days had that jumpy behavior, because those were the pre-DDS days.
It does not have a great dynamic receiver range, but it is built well and is reliable. Probably a good used radio for a beginner. In good condition I would say it is worth about $300 to $400, if you see it for that money at a flea market, go for it!