Reviews Categories | Microphones | Astatic 636L/631L Help

Reviews Summary for Astatic 636L/631L
Astatic 636L/631L Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $45.95
Description: The 631L is designed for close talking, handheld applications in quality sound installations where background noise is a problem. The frequency response, especially tailored for voice communications, provides a crisp, clear, highly intelligible sound with 360 degrees minimization of background noise
More info: http://www.astaticinstalled.com/product.asp?cat=10&product=455

You can write your own review of the Astatic 636L/631L.

KC0GSB Rating: 3/5 Mar 14, 2010 19:56 Send this review to a friend
A good Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
This handheld works fine. Bass response is not quite as good as my Turner Road King, but it does communicate well enough. The audio reports are always good and it has no trouble driving the radio. It fits my hand very nicely too. There are better handheld microphones, but this microphone will not disappoint you. It's not very expensive either.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2009 18:02 Send this review to a friend
i am surprised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have Astatic 636L on my 2950dx in my mobile and have been getting some pretty good audio reports on 10 ssb, no matter if it's local chatting or when there is a band opening on 10 meter ssb.
This works for me!!!

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2009 15:31 Send this review to a friend
636L  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wired to TS-50. Seems to drive radio well - close talking into the mic. Audio reports have been fine.

David K1WJ

F4EPP Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2009 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Very great Mic !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I connected it on my ranger 2970-DX and It works great on it !

I was surprised to find out there was no 9 volts battery required and a bigger size than my last 575 m6.
As for me I preferred the smaller size though it fits good in my small hand !I can't blame it for this.

The FM audio is MUCH better than the stock mic and sounds great on SSB.
Very cheap and good mike that never won't be discharged because of a used battery. Convenient.

KC2RGW Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2008 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Correction and amendment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Surprised this mic hasn't been reviewed here. It is built like a tank and has a much nicer fit in the hand than the tiny stock mics that come with so many ham mobile rigs.

I've had several of these over the years and just started to add them to my ham mobile rigs.

This is a non-amplified noise canceling dynamic mic. Be sure your input impedance matches up properly. This mic was a good match with my FT-857D but not with an FT-7800R.

The audio quality is crisp and clean, perfect communications grade audio.

The noise reduction properties work very nicely and since I run mobile in a Jeep, they are very nice for the listener for sure.

Construction quality is excellent and you can find these for bargain basement prices new and used. Do some searching around.

At the general going rate of $35 or so, it is still very much worth it, but as an example I just found some for about half that new.

One quick tip. With the RJ25/45 style connections, the ground in the cable for these is the shield. I couldn't get that shield twisted and lined up into the RJ25 at all...not even tinning it.

I took the blue wire on the switch tab inside the mic and soldered a bridge to the shield tab. Simply connecting the blue wire as ground then works fine at the RJ connector.

My initial review had recommended this for an FT-7800R and I'm not sure what was going on with the audio reports I got initially, but this mic definitely won't drive the 2kOhm input impedance of that rig. It's too low a drive level. Apologies to anyone that took that and ran with it.

Still very happy with it on the FT-857D

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2008 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Decent Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months

Astatic 636L is a solid communications grade mic. The Freq. response is not very wide, around 2-4khz peaks a bit, can be tinny sounding particularly on FM. Construction & feel is good.

This mic will wire up just fine on most modern radios (6 wires total) alot of radios will only require 4 wires to be used.

Tried this mic on my Yaesu FT-7800 and it did NOT have the proper audio level, stock yaesu mic was much louder. Test & compare.

Now running one on my Yaesu FT-726R, audio level is fine with mic gain at 50%. Tinny & not quite as natural on FM, but nothing near offensive.

73 K1WJ David

KC2RGW Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2008 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent communications grade mic - built like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months

This is a non-amplified noise canceling dynamic mic. It has enough audio drive to match up well with typical dual-band rigs, my FT-7800 as an example, and my FT-857D as another.

The audio quality is crisp and clean, perfect communications grade audio.