Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | CW Touch Tapper TT-1 Help

Reviews Summary for CW Touch Tapper TT-1
CW Touch Tapper TT-1 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25 kit, 35 wired
Description: The Touch Tapper paddle set requires absolutely no wrist movement,
just tap away with your fingers, vertically, like on a keyboard. Self-
Calibrating capacitive sensing (does not require earth ground). The model
TT1 is a paddle set only and does not include a built in keyer (yet). It's output
is compatible with all modern day electronic keyers.
More info: http://www.cwtouchkeyer.com/TT1.htm

You can write your own review of the CW Touch Tapper TT-1.

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the TT-1 kit several years ago, built it, and have been using it ever since. I love the horizontal configuration (as opposed to emulating paddles in a vertical configuration). It works perfectly and is high quality.

I wish this were still being made. It was also a great value for the price.

There was, however, one minor annoyance: the chips included with the kit had the markings removed so the builder wouldn't know what they were. I mean ... seriously? Like I can't look these up in the Microchip catalog?

Notwithstanding that minor annoyance -- it is an excellent product with excellent quality and has served me well for a long time.

KJ4QAN Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2011 16:43 Send this review to a friend
The right paddle for a beginner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a beginner, I've tried many different paddles and keys during field day and at my club. This is the perfect paddle for a beginner and will probably be the only one you will ever want. I prefer to tap the code using the tips of my fingers. I own a paddle, a very expensive one with lots of adjustments, but no matter how I set it I couldn't get above 12 wpm with any accuracy. As soon as I took this little paddle out of the box I put a battery in it and plugged it into my keyer. Immediately I could send 15 wpm and with a few minutes of getting used to it I was sending 20 wpm with almost no errors. I can confirm this because my notebook was running CWDecoder. The great thing about this little key is that you can approach the paddles with your fingers any way you like, and the slightest touch will make it work. If you like, you can rest your thumb and index finger on the table and tap it just like any other paddle, or you can tap it with your thumb and index finger from the top, or use your index and middle finger, or tap the left paddle from the side and the right paddle from the top with your index finger in 2 axis mode. Try that with any other key! For me, the most accurate way to tap out code is with both my index fingers. It just seems more intuitive that way. I rest my left hand on top the box and tap away, like like playing a drum. I'm sure all you old fists that used to use a bug are laughing by now! I'm green and I admit it. But the point is you could spend $300-$400 on a key and it wouldn't be as versatile as this little key. It only weighs 5 oz. with the battery in it and is smaller than a deck of playing cards. It's perfect for backpackers or a day in the park with your QRP rig. I had polio when I was a baby and my arms and hands aren't fully functional. There's no reason why a quadriplegic couldn't use this key and become a CW fist. With a radio such as the Yaesu FT-450 and an iPad running the virtual radio interface that Yaesu provides for free, you could be on the air with no problem! Now get out there and get her done!

TOPPER Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2009 10:30 Send this review to a friend
perfect for qrp travel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a deal! Built kit, "tapping" is intuitive. nothing to rattle, break or get out of adjustment.

VE2EZD Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2008 12:32 Send this review to a friend
A real breakthrough  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No moving parts and precise foolproof keying. This is what this electronic touch tapper paddle delivers. It's so reliable. The surface of contact between your finger and the elctrode is not important. I can use it as a tapper or a conventional iambic paddle just by touching the edges of the electrodes and it works as well.

The key I prefered for my QRP expeditions was a Palm Radio Paddle. I can tell you that once you try this capacitive touch paddle you don't want to go back to mechanical paddles.

The TT1 gives you more confidence when you go at higher speeds because of the precision of the keying action. The elctrodes are not cheap. They are thick gold plated metal pieces and are really soft to the touch.

There are so much ways you can use it. One of them is to put it backward and put the palm of your hand directly on the box. This way you can operate with just one hand.

It's a pleasure to use. A keeper and maybe CW's bet kept secret.

KM5Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 11:46 Send this review to a friend
The keyer I always wanted!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I learned on a bug, but never understood why anyone would stick with side-slapping when it seems (to me) much easier to tap downward. I made my own tapper long ago, and never looked back. And another question–in this electronic age, why use moving parts?

The TT-1 is the answer. I built the kit. Good docs. No problem, except the plug tip hitting the dah socket lug. Sumner called me back on the phone, very nice, then I found the problem.

I just love using it. Silent, refined, perfect operation. I added rubber feet under the ends of the paddles. Now my grandkids can slam on it and it doesn't move. In fact, the 6-year-old is already sending the family names (learning by ear). There may be hope for the future after-all.