Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | GRE PSR-600 Help

Reviews Summary for GRE PSR-600
GRE PSR-600 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $549
Description: OOUI Mobile/Base Digital and Analog Scanner
More info: http://www.greamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the GRE PSR-600.

KG4ODX Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2014 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice Scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
The PSR-600 is a nice little scanner. I had mine about 3 years now with no problems. I use the ARC500Pro software, works great. I have a pre-amp in line and a home brew multi band antenna. The 600 pulls in great signals, works great on the North Carolina VIPER system. After the reband the ARC500 software was used to update the radio to the new reband with no problem.
I choose the PSR-600 over the other scanner due to the more sensitive receiver. Other scanners I have owned were very poor in this area. Some of the menu items can be hard to figure out but with Butel software down loading from radioreference was a breeze

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 03:48 Send this review to a friend
3 Year Update  Time owned: months
After owning this unit plus the PSR 500 handheld for 3 years all I can say is WOW. These units of mine have ran 24x7 for 3 years without a single issue. The computer interface without exception connects to the computer and updates any change of either the latest firmware from Grecomm or changes I make in the channel lineup lighting fast. The P25 audio & reception is as close to professional grade quality as you can get.

I have recommend these units to friends and family, uploaded the police & fire channels for them and never once has any of them had an issue. Here in Central Illinois our local,county,and state police + fire are all on P25 digital and I hear state police cars over 100 miles away with just the whip on the rear of the unit. In fact I hear so much I have shut off some districts that are of no interest to me. Ham radio repeaters again are clear and reception is good with just the inside antenna.

In summary I wish every piece of electronic gear I have purchased in my 50 years in radio and computers performed as well. These are quality units well sorted out with continued support from Grecomm when new firmware is needed.

W1WV Rating: 0/5 Feb 25, 2013 04:24 Send this review to a friend
terrible  Time owned: more than 12 months
Suffers severe overload with outdoor antenna. Reception marginal with indoor whip. No reception of P25. Sent my PSR600 back twice after tech mis diagnosed receiver. Overall, I will never purchase another GRE agin and this includes RS models.

W2XAD Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2013 16:15 Send this review to a friend
great, until it fell  Time owned: more than 12 months
great scanner but gre is not to be found and they do not answer phones or respond to calls about repair or parts.

KA2ANT Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2012 11:49 Send this review to a friend
1st Class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased mine yesterday and am quite impressed with this unit. I have to agree with some of the reviews reporting on it's complexity, but with the help of the ARC-500 Software and a subscription to the Radio Reference Web downloader, loading this radio was a breeze.
Since last night, I've loaded 126 conventional and 724 Talk Group frequencies, and 20 Trunked Systems.
The computer to radio interface is very good, and tailoring it to my needs has gone well. The manual is hefty, and takes a bit to get through. However, since I've only been using it for reference, it has also worked out very well.

I just downloaded the latest CPU firmware from the GRE website, and it was simple to get it uploaded into the radio.

I would highly recommend this radio to anyone that has experience with scanners, and is willing to spend a few extra dollars to purchase the software and download subscritions. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that loading it up would have taken much more effort.

Dane

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Great choice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First I got a PSR-500 handheld scanner. I decided that as good and useful as the PSR-500 is, I wanted better audio output and thought that I should probably have a permanently mounted scanner in the mobile. So the natural choice was the PSR-600, since I like the '500 so well, and they are essentially identical in operation and programming. With a Kenwood external speaker I had already, I can't complain about how well I hear it while driving, and when mounted at the right angle, the display isn't hard to see at a glance, even when wearing polarized sunglasses. I still like the variable color LED, as I have the scanner programmed for different colors depending on what service is being received. I keep the PSR-500 handheld for when I travel by air, else it sits in a 'go box' for emergency use. I bought a 2nd PSR-600 for the ham shack!

KG4ODX Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2011 16:39 Send this review to a friend
Vary Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my PSR-600 from R&L electronics, it arrived in 2 days in a well packed box via UPS.
The PSR has a heavy well built quality. The attractive face is well thought out.

One thing that really needs to be changed the lack of manual. GRE provides one on the CD that comes with the rig but you have to print it out.
The manual was confusing to me but I finally worked my way threw it. After becoming familiar with the programing I moved on to the ARC500PRO I purchased separately it made programing the PSR-600 a breeze.
The PSR-600 works great and I am pleased with my purchase.
BTW: the GRE support via email is very responsive and helpful

WI9NDY Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2011 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Scanning Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my GRE PSR-600 as a birthday/Christmas gift from my wife (even though I ordered it).

First impressions

I really did not know what to expect other then what I had read in reviews. The factory packing and carton is more than adequate and my scanner arrived in perfect condition. I was surprised at how heavy and sold the receiver was. I was afraid the front panel and key board would be flimsy but the keys have a firm feel to them.

Power Up

Upon initial power up the display welcomes you to digital scanning and immediately goes into the programming mode. The manual give step by step instructions on setting up your first object and I had no problem programming one of the local Amateur Radio repeaters. My next object was the local digital trunked public safety system. I was able to program the control frequency (I verified that it was the control channel with another analog scanner) and entered the talkgroup for the police department. Nothing happened. So what did I do wrong? I checked the system control channel and the talkgroup object. They were correct. Then it occurred to me, nobody was transmitting.

Pro

The receiver does a great job on all modes. The sensitivity is good and since I live away from an area with a lot of transmitters I donít get the overloading. I am able to receive the P25 public safety in the next county with just a back of the set antenna. The audio is quite sufficient and has good tonal quality.
The keyboard is laid out nicely with adequate room between keys, and the display is clear and bright. The backlight is even across the display and keyboard and adjusts to two levels of brightness and off.
I had no problem manually programming the receiver (although I come from a engineering/technical background) but I do recommend one of the computer configuration programs. It is nice to be able to see the objects and the parameters.
The supplied DC cable is a nice accessory for those who want to mount the receiver in a vehicle.

Cons

The supplied telescoping antenna while useable did not fit on the back of set BNC connector well. I went with a cellular phone (800Mhz) rubber antenna and got better results than with the supplied one.
The power supply has a very flimsy wire and does not look like it will last long especially if you move the receiver around a lot like I do.
The computer interface uses the same type of plug as headphones and is physically located immediately above the headphone jack. I am just waiting to absent mindedly plug my headphones into the wrong jack.
The LED is a nice feature and even though it dims when you dim the backlight, when you cycle the backlight off the LED goes to full brightness. This can be a bit annoying if you are using the receiver in a dark room or you like to listen while you sleep.

Conclusion

Overall I am very pleased with my PSR-600. It would be nice to have a printed manual but the manual on CD seems to be the way everyone is going. I do wish GRE would change the firmware to turn off the LED when you cycle the backlight with the DIM button.

73 de K9WG (ex WI9NDY)

KB4YHO Rating: 3/5 Dec 2, 2008 15:45 Send this review to a friend
P25 Problems  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK so the PSR-600 works great on non P25 trunking systems with the usual intermod these consumer grade widebanded recievers suffer from. Wait a minute, the new Motorola systems are P25 CQPSK LSM simulcast systems. Right, and the PSR-600 is very poor in performance on these types of systems. Everyone should be aware that these new APCO 25 systems with CQPSK/9600 baud control channel and simulcasted is what is coming to a city, county or state near you. Having spent time speaking at length with the brain trust at GRE as to why their PSR-500/600 is so bad on these systems, the only thing they could tell me was its very difficult to decode CQPSK LSM and they have tried everything with the firmware to correct this issue but still it remains. If your in doubt do a web search on the issues the GRE PSR-500/600 had with cities with the P25 systems like Petersburg, VA and Arlington, VA.
My advice to any considering this scanner and your city, county is going to a Motorola P25 7.X CQPSK LSM simulcast system you will be very unhappy with the performance of this scanner. Oh as a side note the Uniden scanners suffer from the same issue. How do I know this?? I own several P25 scanners, Pro-2096, Pro-96, Uniden 396, GRE PSR-600. They all are poor in the true P25 type systems. It would take very careful alignment and much better internals to really make these perform like they do on non P25 systems. Lucky for GRE, Uniden there are not that many P25 systems today, but its the only thing Motorola sells in the trunking world. Sooner or later your cities old Analog or Type II or 3.X/4.X system will be replaced with you quessed it a P25. If GRE or Uniden was to build a scanner that properly decodes CQPSK LSM simulcast systems it would cost at least twice maybe 3 times what your paying now.

K9IUQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2008 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Packed with Features  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Right Now (2008) this is the best digital trunking scanner on the market. The most bells and whistles of ANY scanner. You must have software and a computer to fully realize the potential of this radio. Audio is better than any Uniden I have owned. GRE listens to owners and is constantly adding new features thru a internet firmware download. This scanner is a must have if you need digital trunking in a scanner.

Stan K9IUQ