Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 750 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 750
Grundig Satellit 750 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The Grundig Satellit 750 with Advanced DSP technology is an exciting portable that brings the world to you! You will get complete coverage of all long wave, medium wave and shortwave frequencies as well as FM (stereo to the earphone jack). Plus the Satellit 750 also receives the VHF aeronautical band (117-137 MHz). Your shortwave coverage includes the reception of the single sideband (SSB) mode allowing the reception ham radio operators, maritime and shortwave aeronautical stations. You can select either wide or narrow selectivity to reduce co-channel interference. You can tune your favorite stations by the conventional tuning knob, quick keypad entry of via the 1000 memories. And you will enjoy the fidelity you have come to expect from Grundig enhanced by separate bass and treble controls. The radio features both an Earphone Jack and a Line Output Jack. Long distance Medium wave (AM band) reception is possible because of the built-in rotatable, directional ferrite antenna. External antennas may also be attached. 14.65 x 7.24 x 5.75 inches. There is even a USB (5V) outlet for MP3 or mobile phone charging function
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=351064

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 750.

VK2JEM Rating: 2/5 Jul 25, 2017 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Let Down  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First the positives.

This is a great looking receiver, and as far as the interface and usability is concerned it works really well.

I like how it site on a desk and doesnt slide around when you hot a button like a small radio does.

I like the layout (easy to use in the dark)

I like the fact that the display lights up even if turned off if you touch any of the knobs or buttons.

I like the big display with time when radio is off.

I like the fact that the timer stores frequency as well as time, so you can set it to turn on at a particular time, in a particular mode, on a set frequency, not just the last used.

Air band and FM work as they should (if youre near an airport) but it scans slowly and its not that sensitive on airband, just ok. Any cheap desktop scanner would kill it.

All this means its an ideal bedside radio and will double as your bedside clock radio.

But its a LOT to pay for a clock radio. And its quite large.

Now the downside, what i dont like.

The case is cheap plastic, feels cheap and lets in lots of QRM.

Sensitivity on whip or external antenna is so so. Between the poor shielding and low sensitivity, IT couldnt hear much more that the strongest signals.

The Passband seemed to be off and IF filters were very wide. In narrow mode, you had to tune 1 - 2 Khz high, in wide mode actually had to tune about 6 - 8 Khz high.

No Synch detector? The older 700 and 800 both have it.

Audio through speaker is so

This is a nice radio to sit beside your bed and do general listening to strong signals, occasional listen to utes/ham/airband, but I wouldnt remommend it to serious listener or Dxer as only or primary receiver.

W7MBR Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2017 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up a Grundig Satellit 750 by Eton at a local Ham Fest which had a bad volume control. After replacing the dual control with something I had in my junk box and running the 750 through many tests, I arrived at the following conclusions. If you check out my QRZ pictures you will see I am no stranger to radios so I believe this review to be quite accurate but keeping in mind it is just my opinion . I have not noticed several of the issues with the 750, as pointed out on this forum, with the unit I own. The AGC is some where in between fast and slow attack times giving "fairly" smooth SSB reception. Yes, the 750 does have AGC. AM AGC tracks well with little distortion even on very loud signals. (Remember you have an RF Gain Control). As mentioned by some, poor audio quality. I find the audio comparable with any of the good portable radios I have used with a few exceptions. I don't hear any of the glitches others have mentioned. Small speakers .. Small enclosures .. What do you expect? Poor sensitivity? With current poor band conditions and a little telescopic antenna on SW it is at least average in its price class. It really shines with a decent outdoor antenna. I've measured the SSB/CW sensitivity at 0.8uv per 10DB S/N. Pretty darn good figures. Poor EQ settings especially with the bass control? Again, look at the speaker. It's not designed for HiFI audio and heavy low end. Selectable sidebands on a $300 receiver ain't too shabby either. A little issue on selectivity? Yes, I agree, but certainly manageable. I use an external audio filter which works great. Narrow setting measures about 5.8KHZ and Wide about 9+KHZ on the 750. However, the skirts seem fairly steep and quite adequate on adjacent channel crossover. Now, how does it compare with other short wave receivers especially in the same price class. Forget about AM/FM, it's just fine. Side by side to my new Sangean ATS-909X I notice very little difference on both AM/SSB/CW shortwave reception. I like the larger tuning control and easier frequency keyboard selection on the 750. The slower tuning rate on the Sangean is better, a complaint I do have with the 750. The 750 is easier on battery life than the Sangean. It's difficult to compare the 750 with my large vacuum tube receivers which obviously have better audio although they both hear about the same with the exception of a lower noise floor on the tube radios. The 750 does fall short when compared to expensive higher end receivers and even many receivers found in Ham Radio transceivers with roofing filters, DSP. etc. But for a $300 portable I give it a 4.5 as compared to receivers in it's price class or even higher. Bottom line: Everything considered, a very decent receiver for the serious listener and a "somewhat useable" communications receiver especially with an added audio filter. It certainly does not deserve a 2 or even a 3 rating.

KB9QCW Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2017 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Sweet receive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one from Amazon in December 2016. $280 plus shipping. Use it bedside on 80 meters. Great reception with the extended antenna. Audio is mellow and easy on the ears. Great filtering and selectivity. It's a keeper and easy to move from room to room.

K9EUI Rating: 2/5 Jul 27, 2016 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Will the next one work?  Time owned: more than 12 months
The replacement receiver worked great for a while. The it stopped working on USB. Sent it back (lifetime warranty from Hammacher / Schlemmer) andd asked for another replacement. They no longer carry the 750 and credited my Visa account. I'll try one more time - I ordered one from Amazon but it has been weeks and I still don't have it.

Wish I had kept my Kenwood R-1000 !!!!!

K2PJW Rating: 2/5 Apr 4, 2016 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been wanting to buy this radio for several years now. I finally bought one last month. I was sorely disappointed. The radio looks cool and the ergonomics are great for me. But performance is what really matters.

The FM band sounds good and that was great because I bought this radio partially to have something to listen to FM radio with in the shack. MW was raspy sounding and nothing I did would change this raspy audio. I really liked the rotating antenna and it worked as it should. HF was not as sensitive as I thought it should be. And as I tuned across certain portions of the HF spectrum I could hear an audible clicking in the audio. I have heard other users mention this as well.

I bought this radio and had great expectations. I thought that it would receive at least as well as my Tecsun PL 880. My PL 880 runs rings around the Satellit 750.

One more thing, the aluminum knobs are a nice feature but they were not refined and actually felt like they were made in junior high shop class.

I really think that with a little better quality control this could be nice radio but mine was quite bad.

M0CQG Rating: 3/5 Apr 1, 2016 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Consumer shortwave radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Tecsun S-2000 version of this radio through Amazon UK in the knowledge that I could return it if I was unhappy with the quality or performance. After playing with it for a day, I have returned it for a refund. Here's why:

- the two filters on AM are either too narrow (producing quite muffled audio) or way too wide (letting in a huge amount of adjacent transmissions on all but the very strongest signals)
- AGC results in distortion on signal peaks unless you roll of the RF gain considerably on stronger signals (but this also happens on very strong FM broadcast stations, leading me to think it is at least partly to do with input to the audio stage)
- BFO does not operate in a linear fashion - rotate left of zero and there is a gentle, gradual adjustment of the beat frequency; rotate to the right and it is much more aggressive to the point of being way, way too touchy; coupled with the minimum 1kHz tuning step, this can make tuning SSB stations less than enjoyable
- SSB audio has a slight but definite warble to it (not as bad as some Sony portables, but it's there), which is particularly noticeable when trying to zero beat commercial SW stations
- the radio picks up a noticeable amount of hum from the supplied AC adapter
- the tuning knob has a certain amount of wobble, and while the knob itself is very nice machined aluminium, I'd be concerned about the longevity of the encoder shaft - it doesn't feel robust
- Airband sensitivity seems rather variable across the band

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a *bad* radio. Although the case is plastic, it's well made. The frequency coverage is excellent and stability is good too. Performance on the internal whip is pretty decent. All things considered, for the price, this would probably satisfy the average consumer or hobbyist wanting a bedside radio for casual listening - but for experienced hobbyists looking for an HF receiver, there are better choices. It's a reasonably good radio, but not a great one.

KE5GFJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2015 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great general coverage receiver. I have all kinds of ham radio equipment Including Collins, Hallicrafters, Heathkit, Yaesu, etc. Compared to those this little radio does a good job with the internal antenna and the whip. Add an external antenna with an antenna tuner and it really comes alive. A simple antenna tuner will match an end fed wire to almost any band and signals come in great. If you are having trouble with any receiver the key is a good antenna and an antenna tuner. The BFO adjustment, RF gain adjustment, wide/narrow and attenuator allow tuning in even the weakest signal or tuning out overly strong local signals. It's a fun radio to use and the large speaker is a pleasure to listen to.

KC4MOP Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2015 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love this neat little radio. Very convenient and allows for folks like us Hams to connect "advanced" antennas to the radio via BNC and even balanced line or window line. Unit has Audio line out jacks. The built-in audio system and speaker are very nice. The audio is comparable to the famous GE Super Radio. It would have been nice to have a third BW selection for AM/SW The attenuator is great with 3 levels to reduce the possibility of overload to the receiver. I have the RF gain set just above the MIN. There is an auto mode for RF gain too. The unit is very sensitive, picks up everything, it seems, with its built-in whip antenna. There is a rotatable loop antenna for MF and LW bands. This is a keeper

KG6YRC Rating: 2/5 Jun 19, 2015 20:10 Send this review to a friend
HAD BAD EXPERIENCE WITH 2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the first one in 2010, because it was much smaller than the satellite 800 and seemed like it would be about the same quality, well it doesn't compare with my satellite 800 at all. Aircraft band was useless, shortwave only picked up a few stations unless it was on an outside antenna (800) does real well even on the whip. Got disgusted and put it in the closet. In 2014 got it out again and contacted Eton-Grundig to see if it was worth fixing, they replaced the radio even though is was out of warranty. I'm impressed with the customer service. But the new replacement had some issues, meter doesn't work have to tap it then it works for a while then stops working, plastic covering the display fell off right out of the box. Aircraft band seems deaf once again. Shortwave still needs external antenna. Think I'll just get rid of it, ordered a CC Crane sw doesn't have ssb or air but has great reviews can't be any worse and cost half as much.

K4AXF Rating: 2/5 May 25, 2015 14:09 Send this review to a friend
S-2000 Revisited  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On second thought, there are several issues with the Grundig 750/Tecsun S-2000: AGC, peaky, punchy audio, touchy BFO.

The deal-breaker for me was the really badly set up AGC. The decay is way too fast, resulting in constant re-attack during moderate fading, making shortwave content listening a fatiguing and unpleasant experience. It wouldn't be so bad if the BFO were easily adjustable for zero-beat, then you could ameliorate the fading by using exalted carrier single sideband (ECSSB).

I also found listening to AM and FM broadcast fatiguing because of the punchy audio. Listening for any length of time gave me a headache.

For just tuning around and logging in stations, this is not a bad radio at all. It is both sensitive and stable. The narrow filter is adequate for most casual listening. I never could figure out what was up with the wide filter - way too wide!

I traded my S-2000 after three months and finally ended up with a Ten-Tec Paragon transceiver which has a far superior receiver; but sadly, no FM broadcast reception and it cost twice as much. But that's what I needed to satisfy my SWL jones.