Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig Satellit 750 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig Satellit 750
Grundig Satellit 750 Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The Grundig Satellit 750 with Advanced DSP technology is an exciting portable that brings the world to you! You will get complete coverage of all long wave, medium wave and shortwave frequencies as well as FM (stereo to the earphone jack). Plus the Satellit 750 also receives the VHF aeronautical band (117-137 MHz). Your shortwave coverage includes the reception of the single sideband (SSB) mode allowing the reception ham radio operators, maritime and shortwave aeronautical stations. You can select either wide or narrow selectivity to reduce co-channel interference. You can tune your favorite stations by the conventional tuning knob, quick keypad entry of via the 1000 memories. And you will enjoy the fidelity you have come to expect from Grundig enhanced by separate bass and treble controls. The radio features both an Earphone Jack and a Line Output Jack. Long distance Medium wave (AM band) reception is possible because of the built-in rotatable, directional ferrite antenna. External antennas may also be attached. 14.65 x 7.24 x 5.75 inches. There is even a USB (5V) outlet for MP3 or mobile phone charging function
More info: http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=351064

You can write your own review of the Grundig Satellit 750.

DXTUNER Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2013 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Good reception, cheap build quality.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Satellit 750 is a decent performing general coverage radio, more sensitive than you might expect, but it has limitations more characteristic of cheaper & smaller radios. Namely the selectvity. Its 4 and 7 kHz bandwidths (I'm pretty sure that's correct) are more than acceptable on the Tecsun PL-600, but for $300 you wouldn't be wrong to want things a little tighter. It isn't bad though really.

The construction is cheap. Believe me, this is one radio you don't want to drop on the floor. It's light and feels hollow. However the tuning knob, which is weighted, perhaps out of proportion to the rest of the body, feels nice. Overall a really competent radio, you should get hours of joy from it, but you might come to the conclusion that its $150 worth of radio at the most.

CX6AV Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2013 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Good SW Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very good SW radio,works great in MW, SW , sweet BW control, SSB works good.The Air Band works o.k. only in the low frecuencies,the squelch insīt good .Display is excellent and many good features ,the best company on side of the bed.Good sensitivity and selectivity for an sw radio and price.Really its better that i expect, obviously isnīt an Icom R9000, but many Hams find better equipments than wifes...
Talking of wifes...i was discover a good Tip, to not disturb with "Beeps" of this radio....simply press #0 during 2 or 3 seconds, this disable the ugly Beeps ..., regards...

KA1BIN Rating: 2/5 Nov 20, 2012 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Quality of construction-Average to poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, after owning this comm receiver for a little more than 2 months and maybe using it for about 50 hours, the volume control started shorting out to full volume at any position. It isn't like I rode the control, I barely would touch it under normal operations since I use a volume control on my headset.

Carefully disassembling it reveals that the volume control itself is defective and not mearly a bad solder joint on the AF/Tone PCB.

Looking at case construction shows 3 of the 8 plastic bosses which the self tapping screws go into to be cracked! The unit should have used machine screws that thread into tapped thread inserts. Even Cheap Japanese and Korean radios of the 1990's used this form of cabinet asssemby, but that would have added 29 cents to the cost of construction.

Another observation was the 1/8" 3.5mm jacks on my unit seem to be extremely tight, it looks like a careless person could easily break these jacks if a male plug is inserted even a few degrees off too quickly or with too much force.

So in summary, even though I still believe that the radio operates very good electrically and has a good retail price point. If you look at it too hard, it will fall apart.
KA1SMC (formerly KA1BIN)

KG6YV Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Nice features, good performance especially in its price range.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my 750 two months ago. I gave up on other radios in the ~$200-250 price range (mine came from Amazon). Most were cheaply built toys with mediocre audio, sensitivity and limited features.

It works well on AM broadcast especially with the rotatable loop. Audio is superb on AM for a radio its size and price.
On SW, I appreciate the variable attenuator because I use it on my 133ft Windom. Works well,
sometimes I use the narrow filter most times the wide for broadcast SW.
On SSB it is adequate for casual listening and works OK for DX on my Windom. Again the attenuator is handy, you do sometimes have to use the variable BFO to get right on frequency due to the 1kc dial steps but SSB sounds nice using the narrow filter and the BFO.
I do not do aeronautical listening so no comment there.
The bass/treble controls are useful on all frequencies and modes.
Mine replaced an ICOM R-71A which is an excellent radio, but the Grundig is much lighter, has a better internal speaker and uses a lot less power so I am happy....
Eton/Grundig may have had quality issues, mine purchased in March from Amazon works fine, no issues.

KF9VA Rating: 3/5 Feb 25, 2012 21:56 Send this review to a friend
Dont expect 800 performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this expecting it to be an upgraded model of the satillit 800.I was disappointed. The reciever seems to overload on an outdoor antenna and the SSB does not impress me. Basicly I dont think they designed this receiver to even compare to the old 800. I am selling the 750 and keeping the 800.

KB8GRO Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2012 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this radio now for a few months, there is a lot of features this radio has that the manual either touches on or doesn't mention, first the wide and narrow filter does work on all bands except air ban. I find using the rf gain and attenuation I can clear up a very strong signal. Using DM 780 I can monitor slow scan tv, cw, psk 31, I think you get the idea that with a good antenna, you will get good results, the antenna I use is a G5RV, another interesting feature is I have a set of Bose Media Mates hookup to the line output on the back on the radio, good sound in stereo, but if you hook up a mp3 player in the input on the front of the radio, the mp3 audio only comes out of the speaker of the radio, the station you have tune on the radio still plays on the speakers you have hookup to the line output. The antenna connections are many and you have different ways of tuning the radio, you can direct key entry, scan up or down using the up-down buttons, and vfo. It has a 1000 memories for you to store your favorite frequencies, also it has a built in antenna switch for internal or external antennas. On the MW band it uses a rotating antenna that sits on top of the radio, works well, the antenna has a mini plug connection for a external loop antenna. I have a Icom IC 718 as my main HF radio,it is hookup to the G5RV through a switch box along with the Grundig Satellit 750, I find that what I can receive on the Icom, I can receive with the Grundig. Eton did a good job with this radio, the fit and finish is good and the metal knobs have a good feel to them. Would I recommend this radio? Yes it is a fun radio to have in the shack..

73's
Dan

KP4FAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent general coverage setme  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bougth this one with second thougths after reading some reviews about it in MT and the now defunct PTWBR (Passport). Lately, opinions had changed and it seemed that a lot of the original problems had been solved. It seems to me that they have. The 750 has a great noise floor that results in excellent sensitivity and may even be misleading to the novice. The selectivity options are reasonable and work okay. I would have added at least another narrower option. ,There are too many memories and memory pages. It is ok but who really needs that many? The audio is one of the best features with the treble and bass control providing excellent manipulation of the audio output. This is a feature that many manufacturers don't consider even in higher end units but in my opinion, having control of bass and treble sometimes makes a difference in being able to catch difficult stations in SW. SSB works as it should and is stable. The knobs do not feel loose at all. The meter tends toward the generous side but, really, how many honest meters have you seen? The one I can remember belongs to the TMC GPR90 from the 50s and many accused the meter for being "lazy". The display is great even for tired eyes like mine. I like the continuous time display. The quick access to any frequency after punching it in the pad is another nice feature common in Tecsun derived Radios. This set works best on SW when connected to a balanced antenna. If you connect a long wire it needs a ground or a tuner. The telescopic antenna provides excellent reception but for dxing use an external. The bnc type connectors are ok and you can get adapters for any other type of connectors at RS. FM sensitivity with the whip is ok and the stereo works as it should. Medium wave sensitivity is excellent and the directional ferrite antenna can null signals effectively. On LW I can hear several local beacons. I am sure that an external loop will work even better. With the much discussed airband I have no problems since I can pick up much of the local traffic using only the whip.
The s750 looks and works like a SW radio should. It is not an Incom R75 but it was not meant to be one and honestly I think the noise floor in the 750 is better.

KDMSKY59 Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Fine mw dx (?) portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Satellite 750 is a fine multipurpose SW/MW/FM/Air radio. Best features are it's low noise floor, rotateable MW ferrite rod antenna, and varied external antenna jacks.

I work exclusively MW at this time and wanted a conventional knob radio I could use when I didn't feel like messing with my SDR-IQ or Perseus.

The 750 actually equals my SDRs in many situations but only because my 90 ft long wire lacks directional capabilities. The 750's rotateable ferrite antennas does a good job of peaking stations or nulling unwanted stations. I've tried DXing some European stations from Florida but so far have been unable to detect any hets from those frequencies using ssb mode. I've yet to try the 750 with an external long wire as of yet which brings up the 750s only problem I've found so far - the int/ext antenna switch doesn't work with the ferrite antenna. I'm not quite sure yet how the long wire added to the ferrite rod will fare for weak signal DX. Time will tell.

KF7NGC Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Kool Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 750 for almost 2 years now. I have it hooked up to a 100 ft. daipole. I live in Oregon but I regulary pick up Hams as far away as England, The Austrailian outback, South africa, Japan, and all over the east coast with an average S 7 to 9. I even took it to Florida with me on vacation to see what kind of Ham traffic I could monitor there. This is a FUN easy to use radio with a low noise floor. The batteries last a long time. I also have a S800 (Great Radio) but like using the 750 even more!

PU2NBU Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 02:16 Send this review to a friend
Far way from a toy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First of all, the Sat 750 has serious input antennas, im my case, I use a SWL Par Electronics with a BNC connector plus a FM Air Band Maldol Al-500H. Second, it has a commendable SW sensitivity. Third, its versatility, providing strong AM and FM signals with a powerfull and clear audio. I hear lots of SW commercial stations, many HAMs and inumerous CB drivers, since I leave near 2 major highways. I hear of course my soccer team on AM and good fashion musics on FM. It is not of course an Icom IC-R9500, however, it is not a toy neither. My best generic and domestic radio buy for 300 GWs at HRO. In my XYL opinion, it is the best looking hardware in my radio shack.

Nilton