Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | QRP J-38 by KA6IRL Help

Reviews Summary for QRP J-38 by KA6IRL
QRP J-38 by KA6IRL Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $89.00
Description: The QRP J-38 traces its history to the vintage J-38 telegraph key of World War II fame. It has all the features of its larger ancestor.

Constructed of over 30 parts. The QRP J-38 comes complete with an adjustable tension spring, key travel and bearing tension, a hand finished mahogany base ( or optional black bakelite style base ) and non-slip feet.

The shorting switch and terminal posts work perfectly and include appropriate insulation where needed. Operation is smooth and a genuine pleasure! All our keys are guaranteed to function just like the full size J-38s.

The high quality design and substance of all brass construction and one-half scale size provides the user with well-built functionality and portability. It is truly a 'go anywhere' device at approximately 1-1/2 inch wide with an overall length of 2-1/2 inches. Perfect for operator and collector!

Price is $89.00 (US) and Shipping $4.95.
More info: http://www.qrpj38.com

You can write your own review of the QRP J-38 by KA6IRL.

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 07:02 Send this review to a friend
J-38 Half-Size SOLID Brass!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My oldest hammy radio bud gave me a super surprise gift in a solid wood box. I tried guessing before opening my Christmas present and got thrown off when I asked; "Is it a Christmas tree ORNAMENT?" NT5W responded; "You can use it as an ornament."

Upon opening the solid wood presentation box, my eyes beheld a perfect half-size scale, solid brass J-38 handkey just like my first handkey when I was a novice in 1959 and WW2 J-38 keys were still plentiful factory-sealed at attractive pricing for a fifteen year old ham paying out of chore money... in 1959 the price had escalated to $2.00, for an educated buyer, as I recall.

A flood of memories came rushing back... but I digress.

This key is a true feat of engineering. It is an Exact half-size key. It is SOLID brass. Even the terminal connectors are working scale as is the shunt switch. the "Operating Knob" & "Circuit Closing Switch Knob" are bakelite! I have the 'mahogany base' with the truly non-skid feet... and it is balanced so it will Not lift up when properly set-up and used. Bakelite base IS an option.

Note: the operating knob is smaller than the fingerprint of your baby finger... "hamfisted brass pounders Beware".

I have used this mini-key with my mini FT-857D with compliments.

The "action" is fully adjustable like the original... a pleasure to use.

Engineering, quality of materials, finishout Earn this product the WV4R FIVE STAR rating. 73 es God bless, murf/wv4r.