Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-92AD Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-92AD
Icom IC-92AD Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $600
Description: Rugged and submersible 5 watt dualband HT with D-STAR built-in. Optional microphone with built-in GPS/antenna available.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/handheld/92ad/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-92AD.

AD9Z Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Best Handheld I've Ever Owned!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first D-star radio. It is the easiest handheld to program I've ever owned! Some people told me to buy the software, in my opinion, it's not needed! Very simple menu. Take a little time to read the manual and it's a piece of cake. If your thinking about trying d-star, go for the 92ad! D-STAR is awesome! I still love HF, but why not try everything this hobby has to offer???!

MW0GUK Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Great bit of kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some people say the DStar stuff is expensive but look at what you get
It is a very good hand held for 2m and 70cm with really good audio quality on both recieve and transmit. That in itself is good
The DSat capability adds SSOOOOOOOOO much to what you can do and the areas that you can have a qso with (10,500 miles on 5 watts UHF hand held!!!!)
Battery life is unbelievably long.
It can send data at the same time as voice which with the GPS microphone is really good fun. I havent tried other data modes as yet but the potential is built in.
It is really good rugged build quality.
The only slight down side is that it can be a bit complicated to program from the keypad and I found it much easier to program via a laptop. Indeed this was so easy that I didn't need the manual to program so long as you know how DSar works. The Nifty guide to DStar is great for this
Highly recommend and it is not expensive when you consider all that you get.

KD8QDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2011 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Incredible !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one great piece of equipment! Before buying, I researched and considered several different HT units from other manufacturers, but ultimately selected the IC-92AD. I did not need the programming software to get the unit programmed, and I have used it exclusively on at least two ARES projects with great success. I would highly recommend this HT to anyone, even those who are new to Ham Radio. You will not be disappointed with this ruggedly built and highly capable HT. Would I buy this unit again? Absolutely...a resounding "YES" with no regrets! Pricey? Maybe, but you truly get what you pay for when purchasing an HT with this much durability, flexibility, and capability. I am very happy with my IC-92AD and look forward to using it for years to come.

VK5LRC Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2011 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Menu System  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned it now for about 18 months and have only looked at the manual for help with the D-star system. Have not had to take the manual with me on family holidays as I can 'work it out' from the menus/buttons. I can't do that with my Yaesu VX6. No display or transmit problems and good signal reports. Not a compact unit but good battery life. It has survived several drops and one or two hours inside a car in summer in VK, oops!! (can reach 65-75 Celsius)

AA8XR Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2010 10:57 Send this review to a friend
first day with it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been looking forward to the IC92AD in my possession. First day, excellent, lots of features, a little learning curve, but so far very good. I will reserve further judgement until I have lived with it a while. I considered the other possibilities before this radio, but with my current experience and other 22 years in the hobby, I am happy with Icom radios I have owned, radios purchased new in 1988 are all still working perfectly. With that experience I look forward to further experiences with the 92ad. 73!

M0AZE Rating: 2/5 Jul 31, 2010 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Has problems on 2 mtrs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this HT for 6 months and as it's the summer It's been out and about with me. On vacation 70cms activity was very poor so I predominately used it on 2 mtrs and none D-Star activity. Using it without the speaker/hand mike the display disappears and or flips up side down. This was quite disconcerting as I'd have to power off and on to restore the display and I honestly thought I was doing something wrong. Holding the HT vertically (antenna upwards) and parallel/away from to my face it would be okay holding it at a slight angle ie across my mouth the problem would happen. I can even get the whole display backwards and upside down (took a picture of it). Checking the internet this seems to be a known issue pre Sept 2009. Shame on you ICOM - this is not cheap kit. So any one wishing to purchase check this out before parting with cash. Seems I have to return it to ICOM UK, don't know whether I will be refunded my postage costs/insurance or what - but this is what my dealer has informed me to do as it's under 'warranty'. So from a strong 4.5 to a poor 1 and a firm 'buyer beware'. Will update again once the issue has been resolved.

M0AZE Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2010 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Very good handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like most Ham's I read reviews and accessed the myriad of information available before purchasing and eHam did not disappoint. . I wished to dabble in 'D' Star without having a mobile mounted rig. I wanted portability for hill walking and purchased this rig complete with the GPS mike. Yes the mike is big! For straight FM use it's simple to set up and the handbook easy to follow. D Star is a different matter and I read and read about D Star prior to setting it up. It works. Like any rig you need to use and become familiar with it. The antenna that comes with it is not the greatest but it does make the unit compact. Feedback on transmitted audio is good, loudspeaker is good enough. The big question is 'knowing what I know now - would I purchase again?'. Simple answer is Yes. My rating of 4.5 put's it into the very good space. I bought primarily for portable handheld with D Star capability - does exactly that and is pricey but very well built,

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Love this handheld!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I normally avoid handhelds because I think they're generally cheaply made, and don't work very well. This one is absolutely the exception. Icom hit this one out of the park....it's solid, very classy looking, and extremely capable. Yes, you'll need to use the manual, but spending $500+ on a handheld means that you've purchased LOTS of features in your new radio, so open the manual, spend some time, and get your money's worth.

The receiver is very sensitive, and this radio works very well on the LEO FM satellites; the "dual-watch" receive capability is a big bonus. D-STAR isn't too much of an issue, once you get the hang of it.

The desk charger (rapid charger) is a must, and the microphone with the imbedded GPS is very, very cool.

GREAT radio. If you want to just talk FM on local repeaters, don't get it....it's too much radio. But, if you want some terrific features and quality, this one's for you.

K9XK Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2009 12:56 Send this review to a friend
You *might* need to read the manual!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owed just about everything under the sun and am fresh off my W32A and now into the 92AD. I still have a Yeasu VX7R as sort of a piloting tool, so comparisons to the W32 and the VX-7R are inevitable.

First, this radio demands that one read the manual to even come close to taking full advantage of it. You can take it out of the box and make a contact over a repeater if you are savvy, but this rig has way too many features to try to learn it on your own. The manual, in typical Icom style, is quite good, and as usual, MUCH better than the Vertex-Standard manual.

Note that it pays to read the manual sequentially because if you try to invoke some function, say, a Bank Scan, and you go to the section that deals with just that specifically, it will say something like "Press MR several times, and then..." You will need to know what you are looking for in those several presses, lest frustration set in, and if you would have read ealier portions about selection of memory banks, you will be better off. Read through the manual from start to finish. Maybe twice.

As for learning the general operation of D-Star using the 92AD's manual, you can pretty much forget about that. However, there are lots of other information sources out there, some good, none great (as of this writing) and you will want to do your homework. Of course, it is easier if you have some local experts that already have it all figured out. We "independent types" will just suffer through the learning curve, which is generally sort of fun.

Kudos to Icom on the fantastic display on the 92AD, and the display options. You can go through your memories showing just the frequencies, or the memory name (with so many it is good to name them) in large font and the frequency in small font below it, or the frequeny large with the memory name small...you name it. And it doesn't suffer much in Dual Watch mode either. Of course I do miss the true Dual Watch of the W32A with independent controls. But the 92AD does the best it can with one knob. The main knob changes (in freq or memory channel) whatever display is set to MAIN and if you'd like, through a menu you can set it up so the volume knob only controls what is MAIN, so you can have two different volume levels.

The Band Scope is a cool toy to have, and it has different modes, so you have to believe that Icom really took that feature seriously and it isn't just a gimmick. (at least to Icom!)

The four power level settings are great. It saves those batteries.

The keys are not very easy to read, and really, this is my biggest nit with the unit. You need light to see those secondary function indicators, and given that you are not going to always be in bright light, if I had to improve anything about the radio, I would first choose the addition of more backlighting settings. Right now, you can go through a menu to select On, OFF, or Auto, with a set 5-sec timer. There really should be a way to lengthen the time on the timer, and/or be able to turn the backlighting on and off. Sometimes you are hunting for something and 5 seconds really isn't enough time. Maybe that will wear off as I get to know where everything is.

I have the 92RS software and like most software available for radios, it is just barely adequate and little clumsy. It is pretty clear that these manufacturers will sell software written by the first person who offers to do it. Import/Export is an important feature to some of us and this needs to be learned a bit through trial and error, because it is as we say in the application business, "kludgey". Once you have the idiosyncracies figured out, you'll be in business. I am glad I have it no matter what shape it's in because it beats using "a knob" to manipulate hundreds of memories and their stacks of information, especially in DV mode where you have several additional fields.

N4SJW Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2009 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Close to the perfect HT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is close to the perfect go anywhere, do anything radio if you're willing to pay the price. I like the flexibility with the big Main/Dual button to quickly select A or B or both. Very flexible scanning. Waterproof so there's no excuses for going out in the rain with this thing (I can't say that for my Kenwood HT's). Two nit picky issues, the volume is not as loud as I like compared to my Yaesu FT60 (yeah, I know I have too many radios), and the cover for the serial/mike port is real hard to get back on after use. Also, the GPS microphone cord is too short to be useful. Get a drop in charger and a spare battery and this is one of the best grab and go radios and I really like the motorola style belt clip.