Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-92AD Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-92AD
Icom IC-92AD Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $600
Description: Rugged and submersible 5 watt dualband HT with D-STAR built-in. Optional microphone with built-in GPS/antenna available.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/handheld/92ad/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-92AD.

M0HPB Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 01:31 Send this review to a friend
Robust Radio with loads of features...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first radio and at first I thought I had made such a dumb move to buy it, the manual was complicated and I felt out of my depth. However once it was programmed up (via a computer) the radio came alive and I was surprised how powerful its features are.

Clearly this is a dual band (2m/70cms) fully d-star enabled and again once programmed it really opens up the world of d-star, not only that its an exceptional dual band radio.

It states its waterproof, well I tested this in my bath dropped it in and left it for 5 mins (no bubbles phew) took it out and worked a treat. I also bought the extension GPS mic, the only downside to this is its size, I think the size of the handheld and then add this mic, it does become cumbersome, however you do have a fully enabled GPS radio with D-PRS if you so desire.

I use my 92 on a daily basis and have to say its rugged, its been dropped on the floor and knocked and banged but it still performs.

Battery life is to be expected about 6 hours on full power (occasional short QSO's) anything more eats in to the battery. Also when working d-star the handheld gets really hot, nothing to burn you but hot nonetheless.

Compared to the new IC31 the 92 does look a bit old, but make no mistake the 92 is a full on radio that will keep most happy for years to come and in my view looks and feels like a solid radio.

Would I buy another...Yes without hesitation.

M0HPB

K7BEN Rating: 3/5 Apr 9, 2012 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Marginal radio for a premium price.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Good:
I like that the radio has wide band receive. Easy to MARS/CAP mod. The FM commercial band has good sensitivity along with the 2m/70 cm amateur bands. You can easily scan by mode bank or a group of banks. This is a nice feature if you travel a lot. The display is easy to read and the backlight is useful. The keys are also backlit. The radio fits very well in my hand and I can operate it with one hand if needed. The DStar digital mode is ‘neat’.

The Bad:
DStar apparently does not work very well while moving. It does not like or know how to handle multipath. We had an analog repeater that was converted to DStar with no other changes; frequency, duplexer, antenna etc. When it was analog and I would go for my walk with the radio I would get reports of ‘picket fencing’ and ‘fading’ but I could still be understood. This was with the same 92AD handheld while walking in the same area. With DStar I had garbled audio on every transmission. I was constantly asked to try again or repeat myself. I finally gave up because I was frustrating the other people on the repeater. The antenna that comes with the radio is poor. It does not receive the 2 meter band very well and is very poor when receiving the shortwave, CB or 6 meter bands. The radio uses a proprietary connector for speaker/ microphone and data. After hours of searching the internet I found that this is not a common connector. You cannot buy the connector and make your own cables, you must buy them at a premium price from an Icom dealer. Last I checked, the programming cable was $95 and a the adapter to a regular speaker/mic was $49 . If you want to use any of the advanced DStar features, you have to purchase a $210 microphone.

The Ugly:
The audio quality sounds bad. Especially on DStar. Although the radio feels solid, the front ,plastic part of the radio scratches real easy. The paint job on the metal part of the radio is very poor. It rubs off real easy or chips off if scuffed against anything. Maybe I need to spend another $35 dollars on a case. So let’s look at the real price of the radio. The radio itself is $580 dollars. If you want to program it with a computer it’s going to cost you another $100. If you don’t want it scratched up you will need to drop another $35 dollars on a carry case. If you want to use a standard headset or speaker/mic it will cost you another $49 for the adapter. Want to use the GPS feature of Dstar. It will cost you $210 for the GPS microphone. If you want a decent antenna it will cost you about another $49 dollars from Diamond. So let’s add all that up and you have spent $1023 for what is still a marginally decent radio.

AE7G Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 15:55 Send this review to a friend
potent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am new to this radio, I have been doing D Star for about two months. I have compared this to the ID-880h and IC-80ad.
This radio is much easier to understand and operate than the other two D Star models. The screen menus are better written and there are fewer tricky menu setting glitches that can interfere with your ability to make the radio do what is intended. Nice feel and size plus military spec waterproofing. This is a costly radio and you have to pay separately for programming software and cable.
Huge capabilities and so far it performs like a champ.
This is more expensive than other D Star choices but I think you get what you pay for.

IW7CDL Rating: 2/5 Feb 13, 2012 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio but expensive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The fact it's D*Star makes the only difference but overall the IC-E92D (European version) is a not-so-sensitive expensive equipment.
The wide band receiver (0.5-1GHz) is basically useless, the display is crowded by useless information, the menu is frustrating which make mandatory the purchase of the RS-92 at an additional cost of 79 Euro or 99 USD and you will use it just ONCE!
All the rubber-plugs which makes this radio waterproof are just an additional nuisance to the usage. Keyboard too small, D*Star operational on one band only, shift and tone for repeaters impossible to setup in one-shot... looks like a small version of the 2820.
The GPS is provided by an additional HEAVY microphone with a HUGE GPS antenna on top and an hard spring cable making the portability of this equipment impossible.
Audio knob works in a very strange way, if you want to mute the radio or lower the audio, you have to turn it a lot of times.
Analog mode is average, the power output measured by my instruments was always not more than 3 Watts compare to the claimed 5 Watt on VHF.
An experimental product sold as professional radio.
Think twice before buying it...
A message to ICOM France: PROVIDE CUSTOMER SUPPORT, REPLY TO THE EMAILS OR PICKUP THE PHONE IF SOMEONE WRITES OR CALLS YOU!

SAPPHIRE Rating: 1/5 Feb 9, 2012 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Display defective  Time owned: more than 12 months
Display defective after 1 year. The receiver is good. High price.

AD9Z Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Best Handheld I've Ever Owned!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first D-star radio. It is the easiest handheld to program I've ever owned! Some people told me to buy the software, in my opinion, it's not needed! Very simple menu. Take a little time to read the manual and it's a piece of cake. If your thinking about trying d-star, go for the 92ad! D-STAR is awesome! I still love HF, but why not try everything this hobby has to offer???!

MW0GUK Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Great bit of kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some people say the DStar stuff is expensive but look at what you get
It is a very good hand held for 2m and 70cm with really good audio quality on both recieve and transmit. That in itself is good
The DSat capability adds SSOOOOOOOOO much to what you can do and the areas that you can have a qso with (10,500 miles on 5 watts UHF hand held!!!!)
Battery life is unbelievably long.
It can send data at the same time as voice which with the GPS microphone is really good fun. I havent tried other data modes as yet but the potential is built in.
It is really good rugged build quality.
The only slight down side is that it can be a bit complicated to program from the keypad and I found it much easier to program via a laptop. Indeed this was so easy that I didn't need the manual to program so long as you know how DSar works. The Nifty guide to DStar is great for this
Highly recommend and it is not expensive when you consider all that you get.

KD8QDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2011 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Incredible !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one great piece of equipment! Before buying, I researched and considered several different HT units from other manufacturers, but ultimately selected the IC-92AD. I did not need the programming software to get the unit programmed, and I have used it exclusively on at least two ARES projects with great success. I would highly recommend this HT to anyone, even those who are new to Ham Radio. You will not be disappointed with this ruggedly built and highly capable HT. Would I buy this unit again? Absolutely...a resounding "YES" with no regrets! Pricey? Maybe, but you truly get what you pay for when purchasing an HT with this much durability, flexibility, and capability. I am very happy with my IC-92AD and look forward to using it for years to come.

VK5LRC Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2011 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Menu System  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned it now for about 18 months and have only looked at the manual for help with the D-star system. Have not had to take the manual with me on family holidays as I can 'work it out' from the menus/buttons. I can't do that with my Yaesu VX6. No display or transmit problems and good signal reports. Not a compact unit but good battery life. It has survived several drops and one or two hours inside a car in summer in VK, oops!! (can reach 65-75 Celsius)

AA8XR Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2010 10:57 Send this review to a friend
first day with it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been looking forward to the IC92AD in my possession. First day, excellent, lots of features, a little learning curve, but so far very good. I will reserve further judgement until I have lived with it a while. I considered the other possibilities before this radio, but with my current experience and other 22 years in the hobby, I am happy with Icom radios I have owned, radios purchased new in 1988 are all still working perfectly. With that experience I look forward to further experiences with the 92ad. 73!