Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-92AD Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-92AD
Icom IC-92AD Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $600
Description: Rugged and submersible 5 watt dualband HT with D-STAR built-in. Optional microphone with built-in GPS/antenna available.

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-92AD.

AE7G Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 15:55 Send this review to a friend
potent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am new to this radio, I have been doing D Star for about two months. I have compared this to the ID-880h and IC-80ad.
This radio is much easier to understand and operate than the other two D Star models. The screen menus are better written and there are fewer tricky menu setting glitches that can interfere with your ability to make the radio do what is intended. Nice feel and size plus military spec waterproofing. This is a costly radio and you have to pay separately for programming software and cable.
Huge capabilities and so far it performs like a champ.
This is more expensive than other D Star choices but I think you get what you pay for.
IW7CDL Rating: 2/5 Feb 13, 2012 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio but expensive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The fact it's D*Star makes the only difference but overall the IC-E92D (European version) is a not-so-sensitive expensive equipment.
The wide band receiver (0.5-1GHz) is basically useless, the display is crowded by useless information, the menu is frustrating which make mandatory the purchase of the RS-92 at an additional cost of 79 Euro or 99 USD and you will use it just ONCE!
All the rubber-plugs which makes this radio waterproof are just an additional nuisance to the usage. Keyboard too small, D*Star operational on one band only, shift and tone for repeaters impossible to setup in one-shot... looks like a small version of the 2820.
The GPS is provided by an additional HEAVY microphone with a HUGE GPS antenna on top and an hard spring cable making the portability of this equipment impossible.
Audio knob works in a very strange way, if you want to mute the radio or lower the audio, you have to turn it a lot of times.
Analog mode is average, the power output measured by my instruments was always not more than 3 Watts compare to the claimed 5 Watt on VHF.
An experimental product sold as professional radio.
Think twice before buying it...
SAPPHIRE Rating: 1/5 Feb 9, 2012 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Display defective  Time owned: more than 12 months
Display defective after 1 year. The receiver is good. High price.
AD9Z Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Best Handheld I've Ever Owned!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first D-star radio. It is the easiest handheld to program I've ever owned! Some people told me to buy the software, in my opinion, it's not needed! Very simple menu. Take a little time to read the manual and it's a piece of cake. If your thinking about trying d-star, go for the 92ad! D-STAR is awesome! I still love HF, but why not try everything this hobby has to offer???!
MW0GUK Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2011 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Great bit of kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Some people say the DStar stuff is expensive but look at what you get
It is a very good hand held for 2m and 70cm with really good audio quality on both recieve and transmit. That in itself is good
The DSat capability adds SSOOOOOOOOO much to what you can do and the areas that you can have a qso with (10,500 miles on 5 watts UHF hand held!!!!)
Battery life is unbelievably long.
It can send data at the same time as voice which with the GPS microphone is really good fun. I havent tried other data modes as yet but the potential is built in.
It is really good rugged build quality.
The only slight down side is that it can be a bit complicated to program from the keypad and I found it much easier to program via a laptop. Indeed this was so easy that I didn't need the manual to program so long as you know how DSar works. The Nifty guide to DStar is great for this
Highly recommend and it is not expensive when you consider all that you get.
KD8QDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2011 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Incredible !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one great piece of equipment! Before buying, I researched and considered several different HT units from other manufacturers, but ultimately selected the IC-92AD. I did not need the programming software to get the unit programmed, and I have used it exclusively on at least two ARES projects with great success. I would highly recommend this HT to anyone, even those who are new to Ham Radio. You will not be disappointed with this ruggedly built and highly capable HT. Would I buy this unit again? Absolutely...a resounding "YES" with no regrets! Pricey? Maybe, but you truly get what you pay for when purchasing an HT with this much durability, flexibility, and capability. I am very happy with my IC-92AD and look forward to using it for years to come.
VK5LRC Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2011 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Menu System  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned it now for about 18 months and have only looked at the manual for help with the D-star system. Have not had to take the manual with me on family holidays as I can 'work it out' from the menus/buttons. I can't do that with my Yaesu VX6. No display or transmit problems and good signal reports. Not a compact unit but good battery life. It has survived several drops and one or two hours inside a car in summer in VK, oops!! (can reach 65-75 Celsius)
AA8XR Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2010 10:57 Send this review to a friend
first day with it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been looking forward to the IC92AD in my possession. First day, excellent, lots of features, a little learning curve, but so far very good. I will reserve further judgement until I have lived with it a while. I considered the other possibilities before this radio, but with my current experience and other 22 years in the hobby, I am happy with Icom radios I have owned, radios purchased new in 1988 are all still working perfectly. With that experience I look forward to further experiences with the 92ad. 73!
M0AZE Rating: 2/5 Jul 31, 2010 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Has problems on 2 mtrs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this HT for 6 months and as it's the summer It's been out and about with me. On vacation 70cms activity was very poor so I predominately used it on 2 mtrs and none D-Star activity. Using it without the speaker/hand mike the display disappears and or flips up side down. This was quite disconcerting as I'd have to power off and on to restore the display and I honestly thought I was doing something wrong. Holding the HT vertically (antenna upwards) and parallel/away from to my face it would be okay holding it at a slight angle ie across my mouth the problem would happen. I can even get the whole display backwards and upside down (took a picture of it). Checking the internet this seems to be a known issue pre Sept 2009. Shame on you ICOM - this is not cheap kit. So any one wishing to purchase check this out before parting with cash. Seems I have to return it to ICOM UK, don't know whether I will be refunded my postage costs/insurance or what - but this is what my dealer has informed me to do as it's under 'warranty'. So from a strong 4.5 to a poor 1 and a firm 'buyer beware'. Will update again once the issue has been resolved.
M0AZE Rating: 4/5 Feb 22, 2010 06:25 Send this review to a friend
Very good handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like most Ham's I read reviews and accessed the myriad of information available before purchasing and eHam did not disappoint. . I wished to dabble in 'D' Star without having a mobile mounted rig. I wanted portability for hill walking and purchased this rig complete with the GPS mike. Yes the mike is big! For straight FM use it's simple to set up and the handbook easy to follow. D Star is a different matter and I read and read about D Star prior to setting it up. It works. Like any rig you need to use and become familiar with it. The antenna that comes with it is not the greatest but it does make the unit compact. Feedback on transmitted audio is good, loudspeaker is good enough. The big question is 'knowing what I know now - would I purchase again?'. Simple answer is Yes. My rating of 4.5 put's it into the very good space. I bought primarily for portable handheld with D Star capability - does exactly that and is pricey but very well built,