Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | AVMAP5 Help

Reviews Summary for AVMAP5
AVMAP5 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $650
Description: Geosat5 GPS with built in support for Kenwood!
More info: http://www.avmapnavigation.com/

You can write your own review of the AVMAP5.

AE4S Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2010 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The integration of the TM-D710A and AVMAP5 is unbeatable. The APRS function is both fascinating and functional. Following a high altitude APRS balloons with the AVMAP5 is quite an experience. The navigation is far better than both my built-in Mercedes and separate Kenwood systems. (The Kenwood system is a hoot. One time it announced, "In one million seven hundred seventy miles you will reach your destination." Maybe my numbers are off but it was over a million miles.)

The AVMAP5 service incredible. I had a problem finding destination listings and emailed Don Arnold. Within 5 minutes, he called me on the phone and walked me through it. Later, through my own negligence, water got into the unit. I let it dry for a few days, but the display wouldn't function. I emailed Don again, explained my issue and asked if he thought it could be repaired and whether that was economical. I was fully prepared to buy another one--that's how much I like it. Again, within 5 minutes, he called me and explained how I might repair it myself. He said I shouldn't hesitate to call him back if I needed further help but, in any event, to call him with the result. The consequence of my self-repair was a visible display but it lacked the blue component. So it was better, but not fixed.

I called Don, who instructed me to overnight it to him, which I did. He put in a new display, overnighted it back, and charged me (a nominal amount) only for the display.

I have never experienced such service. I think Don actually cared for me and my problem. It is rare indeed to experience the combination of a brilliant product and a knowledgeable, dedicated, personal, and caring sales/service representative.

W7DBR Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2009 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Best Portable Nav Unit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have enjoyed using the AvMap geosat5 for 2 years and found it to be the best portable navigation unit on the market. I am rating it a 5 based on the large, detailed LCD display, accurate positioning and turn by turn route guidance, ease of destination entry, and outstanding customer service. The touch screen was not 100% right out of the box and after 14 months when it was out of warranty, the touch screen failed completely. I talked to distributer Don Arnold W6GPS and he repaired it free of charge and also updated the software. The touch screen and all functions are now outstanding! This nav unit competes very well with OEM factory installed units that cost five times more than the geosat5. In contrast with other reviews, it think it sells at a rather low price given the performance, quality, and service. Overall performance exceeds the factory installed Xanavi unit in my old company car. When I purchased a new SUV last year, I saved money by not buying the low value, Denso factory installed Nav and I use the geosat5 instead. One added benefit is that it talks to my Kenwood TM-D700 APRS/TMC 2M FM transceiver.

73's
W7DBR

WX4JCW Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2009 01:38 Send this review to a friend
The Ultimate Mobile APRS Solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am an OTR Trucker and the Avmap G5 paired wih my TM-D710 a is greatly used in my rig, the Newest software update has greatly improved the looks of both the day and night maps.

make sure to join the AVMAP G5 yahoogroup as well, this is a great source of information.

W5ARD Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2008 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Learning to love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the G5 for a few days now but in that time I have managed to give it a go. In a nutshell:

Likes:
1. Screen size
2. Brightness
3. Maps are current and accurate
4. APRS interoperability
5. Functionality

Dislikes:
1. Weight and thickness
2. Font (not crisp)
3. Battery life
4. Some functions seem a little hard to get to
5. Price
6. Hardware buttons

I have had many GPS units of different styles, brands, and price points. I like the G5 mainly because it is NOT like every other brand out there. I find the map presentation to be very professional looking and more accurate looking than my Nuvi or TomTom. It is very responsive and the screen is a joy to behold. The APRS capability is completely unique to the consumer GPS world as far as I know. It has a few little gems of functionality that make it fun to use such as counting off street numbers, track saving, auto volume, autozoom, etc.

I wish it weren't so heavy though. And I don't care a lot for the hardware buttons. They seem a little awkward and outdated in my opinion. The firmware is still not bug free (average velocity), and the font is not very clear and crisp.

The price is not as hard for me to accept as some folks. I think the quality of the cartography and the overall capabilities of this device make it worth what I spent. If you use APRS and are a gadgety sort of person, this is a cool unit! I recommend it.

Best,
-Al

AF4KK Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2008 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent unit & excellent customer service!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This AVMAP Geosat 5 is a great GPS unit! It works very, very well with the Kenwood D-710A as it uses alot of the information from the detailed data stream the Kenwood provides! My first GPS unit was defective (bad video input) so I know that I needed to send in my unit under warranty. I asked the company if they could just send me a new Geosat 5 unit BEFORE I send back the "old" one so my APRS station wouldn't be off-the-air for an extended operiod of time. The AVMAP company was VERY helpful and sent me a brand new unit (which works just fine!)!! Thank you, AVMAP for a fine product and GREAT customer service!!
(P.S. - I can't wait until a Geosat 6 comes out!)

KA1MZY Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 22:18 Send this review to a friend
The Ultimate APRS GPS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this GPS for a few hours, but have been 100% pleased with it's function, touch screen, fit, finish and performance.

Initially, I looked at the AVMAP4 and 5 and sticker shock turned me away. After some more research and weighing of the pro's and cons of smaller faced GPS units, and the ability of this unit to interface with the Kenwood radios ( D710, D700, D7A ) I finally purchased one this January.

The setup was as easy as you could imagine. The D700 configuration was a few simple changes in the NMEA settings and the need, according to the GPS to turn off TONES. I'm not sure if this will affect those who use voice alert or not, or if this is merely a precaution and required at all. Since I don't use Voice alert, It was not an issue.

The only negative I can see is, the supplied cable is not long enough to reach the trunk mounted D700 in my case. I drive a full size 4 door sedan. I will need to buy a cable to extend it, however this should not be too big a deal.

The GPS also comes with the window suction cup mount. A case for it will be required for me as there's no way this unit will ever be left in my car while parked.

In my opinion, the price is worth the plug and play and this unit appears to be very well made. If you are serious about APRS, this is for you.