Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-822 Compact Cross-Needle SWR/Wattmeter 1.8-200 MHz Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-822 Compact Cross-Needle SWR/Wattmeter 1.8-200 MHz
MFJ-822 Compact Cross-Needle SWR/Wattmeter 1.8-200 MHz Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $60.00
Description: Compact HF/VHF SWR/Wattmeter. Has huge 3" Cross-needle meter. Read forward/reflected power and SWR simultaneously. Perfect for mobile or portable operation. Two selectable power ranges, built-in meter light (+12 VDC). SO-239 Connectors. 3 1/4 W x 3 1/4 H x 3 1/4 D inches.
MFJ-822 covers 1.8-200 MHz, 30 or 300 Watts.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-822

You can write your own review of the MFJ-822 Compact Cross-Needle SWR/Wattmeter 1.8-200 MHz.

K9TYR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2017 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Mine Works Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like manual tuners and bought this to work with my MFJ 9201 for QRP. Maybe I got lucky when I compare my results to others but for me it works great and I couldn't be happier. The low power selector allows great tuning with qrp tuners that don't have a built in display. My tuner and meter are compact enough to be very easy carry.

KE3JH Rating: 0/5 Nov 4, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
dont waste ur money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mfj 822 looks good but only reads half or less of the watts on the 440 side. I sent my radio back because thought it wasnt doing the 45 watts according to this junk meter and they found the rig was doing 43 watts so i had paid shipping for NOTHING. the 2 meter side read 50 watts so thought the meter was ok. JUNK

KE4RG Rating: 3/5 Jun 12, 2013 08:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice package, disappointing QRP performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my MFJ-822 at Dayton for QRP use. After hours of trying to isolate problems with my K1 I placed Bird in-line and verified problems were with the new MFJ-822! Indications forward and reverse are erratic. Frequently a poor antenna match at 1.0 watt will cause BOTH needles to peg at 30 watts! At best I would use this for QRP relative indication only. Perhaps OK for QRO, but I will continue search for compact QRP meter to replace bulky Bird 43.

PG00023016 Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Right for the low price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These are attractive, accurate, modern, backlit, low-cost meters. I tested mine right away and no calibration was needed upon delivery. I would not hesitate to recommend this meter to anyone. WWJD

W4IOU Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2011 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Good Wattmeter, So-so SWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The MFJ-822 is a good unit to set on your desktop for a reasonably accurate power reading and a general indication of SWR. I found the SWR accuracy seemed to vary from band to band. Good enough for a general indication of an antenna's match or for tuning with an antenna tuner not having a built in SWR bridge. I would not find it of much value in building and testing antennas.

VK2IMM Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2010 22:19 Send this review to a friend
so far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Plastic housing seems to be well made, also it has a decent size meter scale what I like. I have no a lab grade power meter to compare it with but it reads very close to the 941 MFJ tuner meter I have. Good forward power deflection from a 5w QPR radio on 14 MHz, shows about 4.2w, what may well be the case. Also it measures just over 100w from a 100w HF radio and 20w from a 2m 25w VHF radio. SWR readings seem to be real too. Happy with this one overall.

N4NZM Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2010 11:24 Send this review to a friend
like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like mine fine. I have it between my TS 520S and LDG tuner. I have checked it against other meters, and it is pretty darn accurate. It is easy to read, and reliable.

XE3LW Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 17:29 Send this review to a friend
It works pretty good.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine new, it is a nice looking meter, light and compact, easy to read.
I have no way to compare accuracy with a different brand or model, but I believe it is accurate enough for the job.