Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-201 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-201
Yaesu FT-201 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: FT-201S HF 160-10m HF SSB Transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/n2ckh/ft101.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-201.

ZS6DJD Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2015 12:37 Send this review to a friend
a good radio lots of fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing photos of this radio on the net I thought it might be a good one to try. I found one three years ago but I could not get the radio operating on ham bands till now as the crystalls had been changed to operate on cb radio bands. All I ever read on the net was that this radio was a bad cheaper version of the 101E. Well my first impression of the radio after two weeks of operating with this radio is that it is a very good radio. It works well with full 100 watts on 80m to 10m. It seems to even work better than a 101E wich I also have. The frequency display is much better than the rotating weel display whith the 101E has,and this radio just seems to work better than the 101E. So wich is the better radio the 101 or 201 ? you decide best 73 from zs6djd

MM1EWA Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2013 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Not so bad!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its often looked upon as a cheapened down FT-101, while this is true to a point, it has three filter slots AM/CW/SSB with the 101 its either AM or CW but not both.
Overall I like the way the radio looks and functions, its not a bad wee performer on the air so it gets a 5 from me.

PA4TIM Rating: 3/5 Feb 29, 2008 11:18 Send this review to a friend
budget FT101e  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've got a FTdx400, a FT101e and a FT201. De FT201 is a budget sister of the 101e. The savings are in the construction. The modules are not in the nice computer-like slots like in the 101. The preselection is a variable Capacitor instead of the 3 moving coils like in the 101. Crystals are soldered on the print instaed of push-in holders.
I prefer the 101e over the 201. The 101e is more excact on the dial, it is more easy to tune on weak signals. The filtering is good like the 101 is.I plan to give it a good overhaul like i gave my 101 and i think it will be a bit better after that.

You seldom see them here because the 101e was about the same price over here and included 160m
The tubes are the same like in the 101 and difficult to get because you need the japanees ones. It is not as service friendly as the 101e.
If you find one, buy it, its a nice rig and they are not expensive but if you have the choice go for the 101.

DL1STI Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2001 02:46 Send this review to a friend
FT-201 rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an FT-201 since 1 year. Got it used from an old om in germany, who wanted to reduce his shack. Havenīt seen this rig up to now in any auctions. Looks very similar to the FT-101 and is also equipped with two 6JS6C finals.
Has an excellent filter on SSB. No 160m band !
For further information please visit my homepage.
www.qsl.net/dl1sti