Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | IC-F121 Help

Reviews Summary for IC-F121
IC-F121 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $400.00
Description: Features Powerful 50W (VHF) Output 6 Prog. Buttons and Independent Volume Knob 4W typ. Front-mounted Speaker 128 Memory Channels with 8 Memory Banks 8-Character Alphanumeric Display Flexible Hanger Actions Built-in 2-Tone, 5-Tone, CTCSS, DTCS Encoder & Decoder Advanced Multi 2-Tone/5-Tone Systems (See overleaf for details) Standard DTMF Encoder and Optional DTMF Decoder with ANI Function Programmable Wide/Narrow Channel Spacing for Each Channel 2.5kHz Channel Step (U.S.A. VHF only) Advanced Multi 2-Tone/5-Tone systems Programmable actions when a matched tone is received Bell icon indication ON/OFF/Blink Answer back calls Beep sounds Scan Start/Stop Auto transmission Stun/Kill functions (prevents use of a lost or stolen radio) External out for horn drive (Optional OPC-617 is required) 32 Tx and 9 Rx 5-Tone codes available 11 Tx and Rx 2-Tone codes available Other features Hook scan function and Hook scan ON/OFF button are assignable 10 scanning lists and normal/priority scan Power on password Optional Voice Scrambler, UT-109/UT-110 SmarTrunkII™ or LTR® Trunking capability with optional UT-105 or UT-111, respectively Backlit LCD and keys for night time operations Meets MIL-STD 810 C, D, E and F requirements Icom
More info: http://www.mobilecomm-ms.com

You can write your own review of the IC-F121.

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2010 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for 2 meters  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this radio as a 2 meter mobile rig for the most part,and it works Great.I am in law enforcement so I use a larsen quarter wave on the roof of my Toyota Tundra, so I don't have to change antennas if I go up higher on the band.So if you don't need to change frequ. much this radio is Great and If I go out of town I just take my laptop.

W6AWO Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2008 17:23 Send this review to a friend
F121 for Ham & Commercial Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I work with the volunteer fire departments and the disaster council in my rural area. The disaster council uses a UHF repeater system. I use an Icom F221 for that. I recently replaced my Icom 2100H VHF amateur transceiver with a F121. The F121 provides full 136-174MHz coverage so it's applicable for both amateur and high band VHF commercial service. While the 2100H is a good radio, radios designed for commercial service are in a different league. It's performance is outstanding on both transmit and receive. As a non-amateur radio, some of the bells and whistles which hams are used to are not available. The "s meter" is small and has only three segments. There's no VFO knob. Frequencies and PL tones can't be changed from the front panel. But if you need both amateur and commercial capability in a single radio that's type accepted under Part 90 the F121 is worth considering.