Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-107 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-107
Yaesu FT-107 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,170.00
Description: HF TRANSCIEVER
More info: http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft107.htm

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-107.

AD7NV Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Best kept secret in town!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I guess it's about what you want in a radio. My first requirement is a great receiver. This is where the whole game happens. Can't hear them can't call them back! It has just that. It has a great noise blanker and rit is great too not to mention roofing. The memory is an interesting little item on these babies. Stock they come with 12 memory slots. They have address space for 144 slots with an easy mod giving 12 channels per band. It's a versatile radio. Do I need to upgrade to another radio? Yes, to another Ft-107m. Mine has a few of the aging problems dirty switchs and alike. I could use another one while the first is down for normal maintenance. They aren't a new radio but they are world class performers competing and holding there own against radios that cost thousands of dollars more. I think This little $225.00 wonder is the best bargain I ever got.

5P1CC Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2008 06:23 Send this review to a friend
This is a radio, not a computergizmo.:-)  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this rig used last spring, with all the extra options available to assemble the full ft107m line, all in mint condition. Added the 500hz cw-filter from inrad, a k-5 keyer and a Bencher and there you have it:
A great looking, great sounding easy to operate base rig, built to last for many years.

I can only compare it to what i have owned before, that being the Fr50/Fl50, Ft101EE and Ft901 and to me the 107 is the better of them.

So far there hasnt been any real issues, had to replace an electrolytic cap, and another one is up for it when i get the time.

Worked a lot of dx on most of the bands (CW only) and so far only 5X9 reports.

Ill keep this rig for sure, i like the old analog solid state circuits, the simple but effective design and the fairly low price for a rig of this class.

And im looking for a Frg7700 to complete the line..:-)

Its beyond me why radios arent built like this little beauty anymore, and i really wonder how a brand new 3000$ radio can have any issues at all..?

For as long as i can keep my 107 alive, im not going to spend my money to be a betatester for yaesu or any other company selling gizmoes with issues..:-)

73 de Claus

KD5SPJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2008 23:08 Send this review to a friend
Great RIG from what I have read!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this rig today! A ham buddy gave it to me, well almost, for the great price of $100.00 including the perfectly functioning FT107M, and SP-107P patch/external speaker.The audio sound is geat, have yet to transmit because I am still a lowly tec till later this month. I do plan to go to K1GTH's shack and hook it up to his ant and test it for real. It was tested by him and the ham who sold it out for myself, he checked it today before I bought it but I wasn't there. I have been monitoring it tonite and have heard many voice and CW contacts and even a ton of forign radio stations. Since this is my first foray into HF I have been having a blast! Can't wait till tomorrow to take it to Docs and see how to really work it, and finally upgrade the ticket to General so I can use it on my own! I am looking for the matching antenna tuner now since I have the set and the speaker. May even try to find all the outboard accessories since this has all the internal ones already.

LW4DYI Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2007 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Saved my CQWW 80 m contest  Time owned: more than 12 months
I planned to work the latest CQWW CW on 80 meters with my all time transceiver, an old TS-530S from Kenwood (the receiver is crisp and clear). I had built two antennas for that purpose: a half-wave sloper beaming to Europe and a quarter-wave vertical with 12 radials.
24 nov, 0000 UTC: I fired the transceiver and I was shocked: S9+10 dB of noise (line noise, machine noise, etc). I was able to work a pair of stations with a lot of effort in 2 hours and then thought: Why not to give a try to the Yaesu 107m? Well... it changed my black perspective from the contest.
First of all: the APF is one of the most useful functions for CW, its simply wonderful to let emerge the received signal from the jungle of noise.
Second: its the first noise blanker that was effective to clean line noise. With the NB on, I was able to attenuate at least 10 db of noise.
With a constant S9+10 db of noise I was able to make 130 QSOs, 52 countries and 23 zones (a good number in south america).
Now I love it.

G8UBJ Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2006 15:18 Send this review to a friend
JUST NICE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 107M (Grey) in the 80's and it was used in anger for RTTY contesting (G3UUP). At the time it was a real hit and with the sunspot peaking and a TH6DXX + amp the DX came rolling in, it was a real blast.

After a long spell QRT I recently became active and picked up another 107M (In cream). Like before I use it mainly for RTTY and it feels just as good as it did back then (I must get a 250Hz filter for it though, 500Hz just doesn't cut it on 40M!).

The external PSU/speaker is a real brick - I now have 3, 2 for the 107s and 1 to run other stuff).

The only mod I have done is to narrow the RIT, just too wide for FSK or CW.

One fault so far, a loose antenna socket (Discovered/Fixed when I was swapping the SO239 for an N-type)

+ves
- A real smooth VFO (One of the last solid state rigs with a VFO and its so quiet)
- FSK :o) (Not AFSK)
- You can repair it, tweak it, discreete components (Pull the boards & have a look!)
- Solid state (For me, dip and load is okay for your 1K linears but not on the transmitter)
- Nice audio on TX and RX (Low stress)
- Nicely laid out (Not too many buttons)

-ves
- Time hasn't been kind to the knobs which aren't a nice colour, so get the grey model if you can.
- No FM (A nice to have?)
- The fan is a bit noisy (When it bothers to come on!)
- Noise Blanker worked on the woodpecker, not that useful nowadays.

On looks alone it gets a 5! I reckon it gives a lot of the modern rigs a run for their money.
Pick one up with all the accessories for @$500 and enjoy it.

SP2XF Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2004 02:44 Send this review to a friend
I wish I did not sell it...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the FT 107M for more than 10 years, it was my first RIG. Worked 244 DXCC on it and all the time was doing fantastic job. One of the gratest Yaesu models.

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2004 13:42 Send this review to a friend
ol' classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Ivory version. Including the matching VFO. Many Amateurs comment on my audio even down on the noiser/lower parts of the spectrum (80-160M), by saying it punches thru the stactic crashes with no dramas. If you are ever offered a FT-107M, grab it.... In my opinion you can't beat a classic rig.

73..Karl
VK7HDX

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2004 03:31 Send this review to a friend
A great forgotten workhorse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired the FT107 with matching FC107 tuner and FP107 speaker/power supply. I have since added the matching FTV107R 2m transverter and this is one winning combination. The receiver is unbelievable, sometimes I think the coax is unplugged, it is just that quiet. Good audio reports using a D104 mic. This is one radio that isn't going to move around on your operating desk. Some of my frequency LED's have started to dim but I have located replacements. With the narrow CW filter operating 40m CW is a blast. Forget about todays DSP, with the APF (adjustable peak filter) control I get better results than the DSP on my previously owned TS570, IC706 or FT920. The 107 is truly a wonderful rig. Only downsides...no FM and no WARC (on mine anyway). I will add a crystal for 17m. Great value and a blast to operate. If you see one available, do not hesitate to pick it up.

2E0XTC Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2004 13:45 Send this review to a friend
awesome, old and very beautiful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just inherited my FT107M from my uncle who went silent key one week before he was allowed to use her under his G7 callsign.... I took her into my local service centre for a good check over and re align. The service tech's tongue dropped out on seeing the 107, and he assured me it is one of the finest trx ever.
I'm comparing this radio to two others, My FT757GX, which was my first HF radio as an amateur, and a TS870, which I use sometimes at my friends....
I love my 107, it knocks the spots off the 757, and holds its own against the dsp of the 870, Brazil, Hong Kong and Morocco all on 50 watts on one evening? wonderful, I run the 107 Through a Cushcraft Dipole, I often wondered why Cushcraft Ant. were so expensive... now i know why!

FT107 + Cushcraft D4 = DX, 73 Uncle, thanks for your legacy, look forward to passing my full licence and working your call for the first time on HF

Kev Haworth
2E0XTC

M1AUN Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2004 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Better than Ft 100  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi we got this rig almost 12 months ago,The cost of this rig was very small in comparison to my Ft 100.The Rx is a pleasure to listen to Tx is no problem at all to hold 100 watts for hours at a time.Ohh bye the way the Ft 100 is now in our local electronics emporium for the second repair in the 9 months.!!The Ft 107 m is a plaesure to own.John M1AUN 73