Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M Help

Reviews Summary for Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M
Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Samlex 30 Amp continuous switching power supply with or without meters.
More info: http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/productdescription.asp?ProductsID=36025

You can write your own review of the Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M.

WA1EDN Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2017 18:10 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the SEC1235M to run a Kenwood TS590SG and have never had any problems at all. However I accidently cracked the left side meter plastic cover into several pieces. When I emailed Samlex about buying a new cover, they sent me one for free!

WA8KOQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2017 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Super power supply  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Must say NA6O is right about the Nanoxia
NDS60 fan, it is inaudible. I put it in and don't hear a thing now.This supply is clean and it runs cool, not even lukewarm. Highly reccommend it.

K1EAR Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2017 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Does the job...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Use to power small (450 W PEP) linear. Buzzes and rattles a bit as it approaches maximum (35 amp) current but that does not seem to affect the signal. Good supply for the money...

NA6O Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2016 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Compact, reliable, great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We have 5 of these in service at our contest station and they have worked flawlessly for years, so I got one for home. Very compact. Bought the one without meters for $121 with free shipping thru radiodan.com. Excellent build quality. Components are well-supported and adhesives are applied in many places for extra stabilization.

I upgraded the filtering per W0QE, because I can! Detailed measurements with my spectrum analyzer show that the switching freq is 67 kHz. Spikes on the output are 6 uV at 2 MHz and decay quickly above that. This is a very quiet supply to begin with, and a bit of added filtering assures it will be undetectable.

Another big improvement is to replace the fan with an ultra-quiet model. Any standard 60mm 12V fan will fit. An excellent choice is a Nanoxia NDS60-2000. It is absolutely inaudible. I set it up with 200 ohms to the negative output so that it runs at half-speed continuously, as suggested by AD5X. I also glued on air conditioner filter material over the side vents to prevent it from inhaling dust in my very dirty woodshop/shack. Ultra-quiet fans and filters are my standard upgrade on ALL equipment and it really pays off.

K1WJ Rating: 3/5 Mar 10, 2016 14:32 Send this review to a friend
1235M  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very quite power supply, no hash noted yet. Amp meter reads low, only reads 15amps with 100w radio, Should be reading close to 20 amps on amp meter. Voltage meter is vague. Need to confirm a few things. 1235M is Nothing to write home about. Disappointed with meters in general. 3 stars....

K1XGM Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2016 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Reliable SMPS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a new SEC-1235M to pair it with my new IC-7410 this month. I also owned an SCE-1223 for 7 years to power 3 different 100 watt base stations, primarily an IC-746 Pro.

This afternoon I chased 7P8C split for a solid 1.5 hrs trying to bust thru the DX pile-ups. The fan on the 1235M eventually came on after about 1hr 15 min. of pedal-to-the-metal transmitting, ran for about 5 min. then shut off as I operated for another 10 min. Didn't get the QSO but the ps performed as it should. My 1223 performed similarly in such situations.

As far as the fan noise goes, I wouldn't want to listen to it constantly but it comes on so infrequently why invest in a costly linear behemoth to replace a switch-mode Samlex that has a 3 year warranty?

73, Tom K1XGM

KG7HVR Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2015 16:53 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No switcher noise, no bs, no mfj! Small nice looking 30 amp power supply the size of a cobra 29 cb or smaller.
I had a mfj(mighty fine junk) 4245mv blow up like everyone else.I have since sworn mfj off after having problems with everything of theirs at some point. That's another story for another bad review.

My friends have this samlex sec1235m so I got one too after seeing how small it was and how well it works.
I love the size and form factor. Think Icom 706 but a hair wider but shorter. You could stack a Icom IC-706, a samlex sec1235m and a at-180 tuner and it would fit nicely in the smallest space.
My fan comes on now and then but not often. I have never heard it while using the radio.People complain about the fan but its no louder than my computer running and I cant hear it over the radio or my amplifiers fan anyway. Unless you are in quiet room with no sound and weirdo hypochondriac with rubber gloves listening to the walls talk and not the radio it really isn’t loud but some people are so difficult to please and will wine about anything. No meter lights, well I like meters but its more like bling to me, cool but not needed. I can watch my radios suck down 18 some amps and see the volts stay at 13.8v with a cw key down so it works and "IF" something seemed odd I could use the meters to see if something strange was up with a radio like a unusual draw. I like meters but its not important.
the supply also has a nice feel, not too light, not to heavy. I got mine last month from a seller on amazon under boat rv supplies for $127 and it was here a few days later, and no tax like ham radio outlet and a better warranty from the seller because they know these last.
dont hesitate to buy this unless you want a Astron 35m. These are the only 2 supplies worth
it to me.But what do I know I'm just a idiot with a extra license.
73 all
it is "73" not 73s haha
De kg7hvr

K8EAB Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2015 11:03 Send this review to a friend
PowerPole Modification  Time owned: more than 12 months
After burning up a Gamma Research HPS-1a and two Powerwerx SS-30DV compact power supplies on DXpeditions, I have settled on the SAMLEX SEC-1235M as the power supply for my trips away from the home QTH. Although not as small nor as light in weight as the two afore-mentioned power supplies, the SAMLEX unit appears to be built for commercial use demands.

I made the AD5X mod to keep the cooling fan running continuously, and have now added a pair of Anderson PowerPole connectors to the backside of my SAMLEX power supply. I used a new product from Hardened Power Systems called the Anderson AutoGrip:

See the results of my modification project here:

All my radios have Anderson PowerPole connectors on the ends of their power cords, and I am now able to retro-fit all of my power supplies with these “ARES standard” connectors thanks to the Anderson AutoGrip.

I have no financial or other relationship with Hardened Power Systems. I am a very satisfied user of their Anderson AutoGrip product.

My DXpedition power supply of choice is now the SAMLEX SEC-1235M.

Weymouth Walker – K8EAB
8P9EA
J8/K8EAB

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2015 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Great PS - No fan noise on mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for going on four years. This power supply is top notch in my opinion. It has plenty of reserve for shack accessories while powering a typical 100 watt rig. Clean dc and the fan rarely comes on, and when it does it is quieter than the fan in my TS-2000. I love having the meters and rear panel terminals. It is also the perfect size for a shack with limited shelf space. The only thing that would make it better would be if the meters were lit. If you need a good power supply that is attractive, efficient and small in size, consider the 1235M.

K4IA Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2015 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Solution for fan noise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use mine for portable operations and it is flawless. Of course it has a fan. Look at the small size and weight. How else can it shed the heat? For those who complain of fan noise, I bet you have the power supply sitting on your desk next to the radio. Why?

Put your power supply on the floor under your desk - away from your ears, the radio and your computer. If you need to look at the meters, peek between your legs.