Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M Help

Reviews Summary for Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M
Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M Reviews: 55 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: Samlex 30 Amp continuous switching power supply with or without meters.
More info: http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/productdescription.asp?ProductsID=36025

You can write your own review of the Samlex SEC-1235 & 1235M.

W2IRT Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2015 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Fan too loud but supplies clean power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My trusty Astron RS-35M started to develop a loud 60Hz hum and I decided it was time to look into an alternative. Having used the Samlex 1223 as a temporary PSU while operating field day and portable in C6 and VE3, I figured the beefier 35A supply would do the trick.

No problem with the quality of the unit, no hash on the bands or other undesirable electrical traits, but the fan is ridiculously loud. My hamshack is also my home office and I like to keep the gear on all the time (i.e. shutting the PSU off isn't a viable option). But the fan comes on randomly, even when not under any kind of load. A complete waste of $130 to me. If you don't mind LOUD then it's a good supply. Otherwise, it's time to look elsewhere.

KC6IPO Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2015 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Good, for awhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has worked well for me for the 8 or so years I have owned it but, the other day I picked it up and heard something lose inside. I opened it up and found a washer rolling around. No indication that any damage had resulted.
However I noticed the 3 large electrolytic caps (2200pf) near the output were swollen and one had leaked. Really? After only 8 years? Actually I don't know how long they had been bad. The supply has run my 50W 2m/440 and my 25W Radio Shack 10m rigs. I will not use this supply again until I replace those caps.

N4EEB Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2015 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Going Strong after Five Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've taken this supply to Puerto Rico twice for remote contesting powering an IC-7600. I used it last December with a Kenwood TS-590S for the 10-Meter Contest. I've used it countless times for portable operations in between. NEVER any hash on any band or frequency. Simply a solid and dependable supply. I dropped it and broke one of the crystals over a meter. The company sent me a replacement for free. Great folks and great service. I would recommend this power supply without hesitation.

ZL1PO Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2015 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Definitely for International use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased new in 2009 off a USA HAM retailer web site and free shipped to my host QTH in Sonoma County,Nth Cal before I got there.It functioned as advertised on 110v. into the FT857D.On arriving into Switzerland I did the very simple 230v conversion.It worked flawlessly in Switzerland,Italy,Hong Kong and also when back home in New Zealand.Binding posts would have suited it better than the grub screw connector DC block.I highly recommend this for the international traveler, 73 de ZL1PO

W0VET Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2015 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Quiet and performs well - even after heavy operation on both HF (100 watts) and VHF.

AB0RE Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2015 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Would not buy again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a SEC-1235M on sale at HRO a couple months ago. I had high hopes for this power supply after reading all the glowing reviews.

When the SEC-1235M arrived, I stripped the heads off the tiny little screws that hold the power cord in place, despite attempting to be mindful of over-tightening. I sent Samlex an email on November 30th, 2014, to inquire about getting replacement rear power terminals and set screws, and also to ask about a weird phenomena when I turned the power supply off (it would "self-oscillate" during power down and drive some of the connected equipment crazy). Samlex's reply was prompt and they suggested contacting HRO for a warranty replacement. I did this and HRO Phoenix was great to work with, sending a replacement unit immediately along with a pre-paid shipping label to return the defective unit.

Unit #2 showed up about a week later. It had the same problem with self-oscillation during power down. I sent a follow-up email to Samlex advising of this, and also noting that the serial numbers on the units only differed by 14, so perhaps it was a bad batch. Again, we did a warranty replacement through HRO Phoenix.

Unit #3 showed up about another week later, this time from HRO Denver. There was a note from the store manager saying he personally checked the unit and it was fine, but that was not the case. It exhibited the same self-oscillation on power down. Realizing that this symptom must be common to the SEC-1235M, I decided just to live with it at this point.

Problem #2 with the third unit was that the meters were off considerably. The amperage meter would read too low on the bottom end of the scale (< 20 amps) and too high on the top end of the scale (> 20 amps). The voltage meter read too low a voltage. I sent another email to Samlex asking if there was any internal adjustment of the meters. The representative said there is no internal adjustment in the meters and the external screw on the bezel is used just for "zeroing out" the meters.

I ended up using the bezel screws for adjustment as that is the only method available to me... I adjusted the amperage meter for accuracy at 20 amps, keeping in mind the meter will read too low an amperage reading below this point, and too high an amperage reading above this point as the meter does not seem to respond in a linear fashion. I used the bezel screw on the voltage meter to adjust it to 13.8V with the unit powered on, as that is the confirmed voltage at the terminals. However, when I turn the unit off, neither the amperage meter is at zero, nor is the voltage meter (the voltage meter reads closer to 2 volts when the unit is powered off now).

Problem #3 with the third unit is that the fan comes on too often, even at small amperage loads (< 10 amps). When it comes on, it sounds like a bit of a typhoon. I never it expected the fan to come on so frequently, nor did I expect it to be so loud. The unit is in my basement, usually averaging between about 60 and 66 degrees Fahrenheit, so I'm baffled why the fan is coming on so persistently.

Between the issues with the self-oscillation on power down, terribly inaccurate amperage and voltage meters, and unacceptably loud fan, I'm having quite a bit of buyers remorse with this purchase. I'd have been much better off simply buying an Astron RS-20A or equivalent to save myself all the headache I've gone through.

The Applications Engineer I spoke with at Samlex via email, Ken S., promised he would let me know his findings when he received two defective units back. To date, I have yet to hear from him (last email was 12/15/2014). I'll certainly post a replacement review if I hear back.

Tnx & 73, Dan/ab0re

AE5HL Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2014 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Great power supply!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After consulting with a few other folks who use this power supply with HF transceivers, I went ahead and ordered one myself.

There is ZERO detectable hash on my Vertex VX-1700! Works very well and I am hoping for many years of useful service out of the unit.

K6EH Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2014 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Can be mistaken for a Hair Dryer  Time owned: more than 12 months
The power supply works great!

It's just the fan is ridiculously loud and turn on for every little thing.

I wish Samlex used good quality fans in their Top Tier rack mount power supplies (SEC-##BRM). They die every 4 years and cause the power supply voltage to go all over the place. Fried almost everything in my rack.

DUTCHNAN Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2014 19:46 Send this review to a friend
I like it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I opened the box and was immediately impressed the looks the fit and finish great. I hooked up my 8900r and plugged in the power cord flipped the switch radio came on but no lights on the meters can you say bummer. That is why I only gave a 4 on this fine power supply. For the money spent and the Samlex name I expected a little more specifically 2 little light bulbs. Any way I will put the needed lights in my self I guess it will void my warranty but so be it need the light when your in an emergency citation to make sure your up and running correctly. Other than the lights perfect unit.

K4TL Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2014 06:54 Send this review to a friend
All That was Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice supply. Haven't heard any switching noise. Excellent regulation. Quiet (no fan noise, unless it hasn't come on yet). Overall: very pleased.