Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-77T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-77T
Alinco DX-77T Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1059.00
Description: 10m-160m HF tranceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DX-77T.shtml

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-77T.

W9BB Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2017 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for the Price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won't go into all the details, you can read the technical review at ARRL. Plays very well, easy to use, a good portable, Go radio, back up, starter, etc. All modes, CW Filter, Tones, Keyer, all standard. Don't really need a manual to figure this radio out (THANK YOU). Great audio reports and a very good receiver. Not a $1000 radio but not advertised to be. For a newbie, you couldn't beat it.

GW4PJQ Rating: 3/5 Mar 25, 2016 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Fine Radio BUT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a huge fan of Alinco's products. The RF performance is as good as any other manufacturer's offerings and better than most. But why only 3 in this case?

Well I have owned a couple of these radios and repaired many. Again the RF and audio performance is beyond reasonable reproach, but they have an Achilles heel. The control transistors that switch in the appropriate tuned circuits on the receive input tend to fail prematurely, leaving you with a radio that is as deaf as a post on certain bands.

I have replaced these transistors only to have the fault return a couple of years later. It has been suggested to me that this was the reason for the early demise of this otherwise superb radio. A real shame.

So should you buy one? Well if you are prepared to accept it may fail and pay accordingly, then yes in a heartbeat you should. If it wasnt for this design issue (and they don't all fail btw) I would have given this radio a 5. But for piece of mind, I would go for the DX-70. Those things go on for ever and have excellent audio on rx and tx And they have 6m too.

W7VB Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2015 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Good budget radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm enjoying mine and for the ham on a budget it is a fine radio. It puts out a full 100 watts, sounds fine and the receiver has decent sensitivity and good selectivity. With all the normal features like split or duplex, all modes, an included cw filter, RIT and IF shift it's a great get-you-on-the-air radio. Given a choice I'd choose the IC-718 for a budget radio, but where dollars are limited it's usually the better deal.

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Neat little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Side by side with the latest Alinco sr8t, the 77t is outstanding. It has a keyer for cw.
I have two of them and two of the sr8t..
Owned them mostly for 10 years. (77t)

KC2MJT Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2012 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Fun - Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple
Easy
Good Audio
Lacks noise reduction, but actually may be a benefit for weak signal cw
I enjoy using this radio much more than my IC7000, 708 or when I had it, my 746pro. I won't compare it to my Yaesu 817 or DSWII. In fact, I've made more contacts with this simple rig than all the others combined.
Paid next to nothing for it and it's been a hell of a lot of fun.

M0PBZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2011 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig In it's class  Time owned: more than 12 months
Acquired one for around 300 USD from a ham who was leaving the hobby. I found the receiver comparatively noisy but also sensitive. This is likely due to the fixed and rather limited stepped gain/attenuator arrangement which could be better with a variable RF gain control. There's no real means to deal with typical local qrm, so I use mine with an MFJ DSP noise reducer and can hear the weakest stations. There is no RF power control so you have a choice of 10W/100W, but the transmitter seems very rugged, well designed and easily delivers over just over 100W into my 130' doublet, 30' up in a suburban house. I have to say that it delivers the DX every time. I may have been lucky as it has given me no trouble whatsoever, unlike one of the more well known 'cool' brands, which I will omit to mention.

G0TGZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2011 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the DX-77 mobile/portable all the time. Good size for it with direct access to most functions without pages of menus. If you want to change it there's a button for it. I switch the power to 50W and use it 10W/50W on SSB.
The NB (om my radio at least) is rubbish and actually ADDS crackle on SSB mode. It's sensitive enough on RX and handles strong signals well also. The TX audio draws many compliments from the standard hand mic with the compressor function ON.
Tuning knob is good, changing bands and saving frequencies are easy as is SPLIT FREQ operation. 2 VFOs are simple to switch and it stores the common modes as presets.
RX audio has way too much hiss though. I use BHI DSP and it's gone but possibly the IF/audio stages have suffered a design 'feature' that induces/amplifies this hiss.
I can control it via USB cable with Commander (not much use mobile) and laptop and it seems to work with contesting software/logging. At 3.8kgs it's light enough for portable backpacking and I've had many contacts from the UK with it. VK,JA,PY,YW,W,K,A51 etc at either 50 or 10W into a mobile antenna.

Good beginner/spare/mobile radio.

ZL1LK Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2010 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Fun little radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my DX-77 off the net very cheap. At first I found from 30 meters and above, the output power on high put out only 20W. Taking it in to the local service tech, he replace the driver transistor... now 100W everywhere. Since then I have had no problems and a lot of fun working the world.

My main rig is a Yaesu FT-990 which the Yaesu totally out performs the DX-77 but of cause it will. If you want performance you buy a high end rig.

The DX-77 is so easy to use with limited functions but with quite a nice tuning knob with a few hidden menus.

If I was to rate this rig against my 990, I would give it a 3/5 but to be fair you have to compare apples with apples... it's only a cheap rig but in it's class, it will come out on top.

If you want a cheap, fun and easy to use rig... buy one if you get the chance.

2E1MPC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2010 12:30 Send this review to a friend
alinco dx 77e  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having owend the dx 70 th for a long time i had the chance of an alinco dx77e ,WOW great bang for buck , simple to use , great audio reports , comments , such as , what mic are you using on that radio??? simple the stock one ,I sat this next to my ft840 and have now put the 840 into storage , the internal speaker lacks a certain something , but great value for money ,,

N4FDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2008 10:52 Send this review to a friend
A great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As good as they come. Just a plain, simple rig to operate. Fpr the money it can't be beat.