Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-77T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-77T
Alinco DX-77T Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1059.00
Description: 10m-160m HF tranceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DX-77T.shtml

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-77T.

KS4UA Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2006 11:26 Send this review to a friend
KS4UA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a Ham who had been without any HF rig for way too long now (having sold off my ancient HF gear several years back) I was recently in the market again for a basic "starter" HF rig.

My general criteria were nothing too fancy, but it had to be relatively modern - all solid state, at least some level of computer control, and half-way decent reciever performance.

No need for ultra-receiver performance with tons of built-in DSP and filters, though. This wasn't going to be a contest rig, although it had to be able to interface with my shack's PC, for computer control, PSK31, and other modes available through the soundcard interface.

With that in mind, my budget was around $500 - max - for the base tranceiver. Obviously, I couldn't afford a new rig at that price. Whatever I ended up with, I wanted it to be something that worked reliably when I first turned it on and would provide about 100 watts out on all bands.

After reading numerous rewiews on eHam and endless browsing of the usual websites (QRZ, QTH, etc.) I narrowed my choices down to the usual suspects: ICOM IC-718, Yaesu FT-840, and the Alinco DX-77T.

You can find all three for sale on a regular basis through the used equipment channels and they fit the price range that I had in mind.

Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I won't repeat them all, but some of the differences are: The Yaesu and Alinco both offer FM mode for 10 meters, while the Icom doesn't have that. The Alinco has a built-in PL tone board and a factory installed 500hz CW filter, which are options on the others. The Icom offers a factory option for DSP, a high-stability oscillator, and voice operation. Not available on the Alinco. Etc.

Looking at the used market for those three radios, I noticed that the Alinco often comes up for sale for less $ than the other two, but couldn't find a good reason for that, other than the fact that Alinco has less market share than the other two.

Honestly, I think any of the three radios would work just fine for ~90% of those hams out there who just want basic HF functionality. For me, it basically came down to finding the best deal on one of them...and it ultimately turned out to be the Alinco DX-77T. Got one in nearly mint condition, with the factory service manual, well within my budgeted price.

One big question that I had about the Alinco, though, was how well supported it was by software control. Alinco provides all the details for free, but the excellent Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) doesn't currently support the DX-77T in a native mode.

A little more digging and I found out that the equally excellent (and equally free) DX Commander does indeed support the DX-77T, as long as you have an ERW-4 control cable installed. That cable seems to be in short supply these days from Alinco dealers, although equivalent third-party cables are available for less $ on eBay.

I've had mine for about a month now and it's working as I expected.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2006 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent email technical support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my Alinco DX-77T in partial trade for another rig for use as a backup and maybe in an emergency portable HF station. The previous reviews give a pretty good idea of the strengths and weaknesses of this radio, so I won't repeat their observations.

However, I want to put in a good word for Alinco technical support from Ham Distributors. I had a mysterious problem, with the radio kicking out on key-down at random times. This also happened at times on SSB. After fooling around with cables and grounding, thinking it might be an RF feedback problem, I emailed the tech support people from the link at the Alinco website. Much to my surprise, I received an answer in just a few hours the same day.

The person who answered said that they had only once run into something like my problem, and it had been a DC power plug crimp made over the insulation, so that the radio received inadequate power when transmitting. They also attached a pdf file with the service manual! When I inspected my DC cord's plug, I saw that the female pins' inside diameters had be increased from use. It took a few moments with a pointed soldering tool to return them to their original diameters, and my "rig" problem was gone.

So my experience with Alinco tech support was very positive and their tentative diagnosis was right on.

I will mention that I have gotten excellent reports on the radio's audio on SSB and its CW note when using code. The stock mic works very well, and I can use it on my Elecraft K2 as a bonus. (I wired my K2 mic plug to emulate Kenwood.) Even better, I can use a variety of my K2 mics with the DX-77T.

It was very easy to find on the web the mod for opening up the tranmit to all frequencies. I just had to remove solder from one solder jumper on the front panel board and reset the radio. This gave me 60 meter capability, made easy by programming the five 60 meter channels into Memories 01 to 05.

While I was at it, I programmed several other memories to contain frequencies and setups for the CW and SSB portions of all the ham bands. I can now use the MEMO and UP/DOWN keys to quickly get to the sub-band I want.

The previous owner had used my unit for digital modes almost exclusively. To that end he had mounted fans on the heatsink. However, when I opened up the rig I saw that it already had a thermostatically controlled internal fan, blowing air out through the heatsink fins. If you decide to mount an external fan, be sure it is pulling air from the inside of the radio out over the fins. Otherwise it will be fighting the internal fan.

Last, I must tell you (in the true style of irrelevant detail sometimes found in these reviews) that I got my first European DX in a long time while playing with the DX-77T on 30 meters the other night. France and the Slovak Republic with a low inverted vee and 50 watts. This little radio can provide lots of fun.

G7IZR Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2006 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Great - for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Notice the "Great" and then the "for the money" comments. It is. It is certainly not the best radio I have used or seen, but it is the best HF set I have actually owned. I've had Yaesu's before: 747, 757 and the large 767, but the quality of the receiver from the Alinco is superior and according to reports, the TX quality from the standard mic is great too!

Anyway, great sub-£400 radio. Very easy to use, no fiddly menu's, easy to program. But as others have said, just what does that NB actually do?? :)

K8LEN Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2005 18:10 Send this review to a friend
4.0 out of 5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Radio works great, repair service is the worse in the industry, no parts, slow delivery on parts, all kinds of excuses on the phone, just plain lousy service out of texas.
My unit had a bad band switch after 3 years, still waiting on the mystery switch, or parts.
Would buy another alinco, just the repair service is not good and slow, im talking months.
k8len

N5RNY Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2005 23:03 Send this review to a friend
impressed so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought on Ebay (used). So far, I like the radio, a bit difficult to program the alternate functions without referring back to the manual everytime...maybe I will get more familiar with it as time goes on. On-air reports are good, receiver seems good, noise blanker works ok on AM, but not SSB. Seems like a decent little radio for the money.

G0SLQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 10, 2004 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio - Good Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For years I have heard how expensive radio prices are in the UK, how prices don't directly convert etc. Then I see this radio in various magazines, and read the reviews etc. - and finally purchase one out of curiosity more than anything else. I bought it along with a Wonder Wand Whip antenna for HF fun. After using my menu driven & ages-to-set-up sets, it was refreshing to get one working straight from the box - Sometimes it's good to get back to basics.

It works very well, not the bells and whistles of my IC7400 or the menu system of my FT 857 (mobile), but here we have a basic, or standard HF radio which work well, even with a whip antenna straight into the set @ 10W. - I'd say it's a good radio - partly because to label something as great is or can be ambitious, and secondly, I haven't owned the set long enough. I will however say the price is certainly great.

I notice I am the first G station to add a comment on here, and all I can say is that after years of complaining of HF, indeed, all amateur prices in the UK, why is it when a set is available for sub-400 is it not snapped up? - I suspect because the badge isn't Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu! That is such a shame as this radio is a little gem in it's own right.

I believe Waters & Stanton may have a few of these left in the UK - Get one before they're gone:-)

AD6ZU Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2004 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having tried a large sampling of rigs over the past few years from the TT Century 21 through the Kenwood TS-870 and a bunch of SW receivers, I've used a lot of good rigs, a few great rigs and a few not so good rigs.
Value wise, this rates right up there with the Icom 718 as best bang for the buck especially for the ham with a limited budget. All of the features you need to get on the air are there and some of the conveniences also.

Good points:
All modes CW, SSB, AM, FM right out of the box.
CW filter and keyer included (A++++)
Plenty of memories
Good TX audio reports
Dual VFO, easy to work split
Key and speaker jacks on the front panel, not buried in the back
Computer control capable, but no software available through Alinco
Relatively small and lightweight
Excellent reliability

Less than good points, mostly inconveniences:
Mode switch is via push button which scrolls through modes, miss your mode and you have to go all the way around again
Band switching requires the radio to be in band switch mode rather than MHz mode and QSY-ing is a little more cumbersome
Fixed attenuation levels, no "RF gain" dial
Menu select keys are spread all around the radio making it somewhat confusing to select and set items
Only 2 power levels 10 and 100 Watts available unless you open the radio and flip a switch, then you are limited to only 5 or 50 Watts.
RX audio is a little harsh, although front firing speaker is better than a top firing one, an external speaker would help.

So for conveniences and features, I would give it a 4, but for value, I give it a 5.

DJ9XG Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2004 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the radio since 3 months... it,s the Europe-Version without the CW filter. The radio is doing a great job on recieve on my very long wire antenna. With most other radios I have many problems because of intermodulation by a nearby broadcasting station on 1017Khz with several hundered kilowatts of output... no problems at all with this surprising radio... if you take a look under the cover you will be surprised how much space is in it.... if you want to have a "All-in one-radio", it should be possible to install a powersupply and a small tuner inside the box... I,m just looking for those features... a switching power supply and may be the Z-100 tuner from LDG without the case should both fit into the box...
the only minor problem is the Noiseblanker.. it,s generating some distortion on ssb receive... if you can buy one, do it...

W6WAT Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2003 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Small Price Big Sounds  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After tearing my Yaesu FT-890 apart to isolate a drifting problem, I found I needed a part that Yaesu didn't have in stock. I'd been off the air for nearly a year because of business travels and the drifting radio. I picked up the Alinco as a backup rig because of the excellent reviews and the very economical price. My first impression of the rig out of the box was somewhat disarming. The cosmetics are not noteworthy. This radio is the librarian at the Playboy mansion. The front panel is very cheap looking, but at second glance, there is some forethought involved. For instance, the silk screened text for all the controls is on the faceplate and not on the buttons. Everyone knows that the lettering on buttons wears off in short order. Not so with this radio. All controls are laid out in a logical effecient manner, and though it lacks some of the more basic bells and whistles such as a notch filter, it still does a remarkably fine job for pulling in signals. When the noise floor is really evident, reducing the gain and preamp in conjunction with the shift works very well to pull out stations in the noise. The menuing system is not intuitive as with most other rigs, but it is much simpler to learn. The front firing speaker is an attribute although it's not high fidelity by any means. The external speaker jack shouldn't be on the front panel in my opinion, but it's not a big deal.

The included 500hz CW filter should be some incentive to the other brands to include in their rigs, and it works very well. No ringing. The receiver is very good. I think the receiver is actually better than my Yaesu FT-890 which has a pretty good reputation. And the TX audio......well, let me just say that about 95% of my SSB contacts ask me what rig and microphone I'm using because the audio is very good. I might add that I use the optional EMS-14 desk mic, but also got favorable comments while using the hand mic.

As some of the other reviewers have mentioned, the internal power switch would better be served from the front panel. There is a power switch on the front panel but it's 100w or 10w. Remember the new 60m band has a limitation of 50W PEP on SSB. The modification for 60m is relatively easy as well.

I have several rigs including two FT-100D's, an FT-920, FT-890, and have had many others. This little rig has found a home, and is used as my downstairs HF station.

I recommend it. It's an exceptional value.

AE4HL Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2003 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Sleeper Deal of the Decade!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the price, this radio cannot be beat. The CW features alone are worth the price. 500HZ crystal IF filter, IF shift, internal keyer, excellent keying waveform (see QST review). And it is no slouch on SSB either. It can be had on sale in 9/2003 for $599. Save your money and spend it on accessories. This is all the radio you may need. One caveat, I do have an external NIR-12 DSP unit which provides Auto Notch and some noise reduction abilities which compliment the DX-77T. I could purchase a radio costing 3 times as much, but why?