Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-77T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-77T
Alinco DX-77T Reviews: 41 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1059.00
Description: 10m-160m HF tranceiver
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DX-77T.shtml

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-77T.

DJ9XG Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2004 12:49 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the radio since 3 months... it,s the Europe-Version without the CW filter. The radio is doing a great job on recieve on my very long wire antenna. With most other radios I have many problems because of intermodulation by a nearby broadcasting station on 1017Khz with several hundered kilowatts of output... no problems at all with this surprising radio... if you take a look under the cover you will be surprised how much space is in it.... if you want to have a "All-in one-radio", it should be possible to install a powersupply and a small tuner inside the box... I,m just looking for those features... a switching power supply and may be the Z-100 tuner from LDG without the case should both fit into the box...
the only minor problem is the Noiseblanker.. it,s generating some distortion on ssb receive... if you can buy one, do it...

W6WAT Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2003 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Small Price Big Sounds  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After tearing my Yaesu FT-890 apart to isolate a drifting problem, I found I needed a part that Yaesu didn't have in stock. I'd been off the air for nearly a year because of business travels and the drifting radio. I picked up the Alinco as a backup rig because of the excellent reviews and the very economical price. My first impression of the rig out of the box was somewhat disarming. The cosmetics are not noteworthy. This radio is the librarian at the Playboy mansion. The front panel is very cheap looking, but at second glance, there is some forethought involved. For instance, the silk screened text for all the controls is on the faceplate and not on the buttons. Everyone knows that the lettering on buttons wears off in short order. Not so with this radio. All controls are laid out in a logical effecient manner, and though it lacks some of the more basic bells and whistles such as a notch filter, it still does a remarkably fine job for pulling in signals. When the noise floor is really evident, reducing the gain and preamp in conjunction with the shift works very well to pull out stations in the noise. The menuing system is not intuitive as with most other rigs, but it is much simpler to learn. The front firing speaker is an attribute although it's not high fidelity by any means. The external speaker jack shouldn't be on the front panel in my opinion, but it's not a big deal.

The included 500hz CW filter should be some incentive to the other brands to include in their rigs, and it works very well. No ringing. The receiver is very good. I think the receiver is actually better than my Yaesu FT-890 which has a pretty good reputation. And the TX audio......well, let me just say that about 95% of my SSB contacts ask me what rig and microphone I'm using because the audio is very good. I might add that I use the optional EMS-14 desk mic, but also got favorable comments while using the hand mic.

As some of the other reviewers have mentioned, the internal power switch would better be served from the front panel. There is a power switch on the front panel but it's 100w or 10w. Remember the new 60m band has a limitation of 50W PEP on SSB. The modification for 60m is relatively easy as well.

I have several rigs including two FT-100D's, an FT-920, FT-890, and have had many others. This little rig has found a home, and is used as my downstairs HF station.

I recommend it. It's an exceptional value.

AE1CW Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2003 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Sleeper Deal of the Decade!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the price, this radio cannot be beat. The CW features alone are worth the price. 500HZ crystal IF filter, IF shift, internal keyer, excellent keying waveform (see QST review). And it is no slouch on SSB either. It can be had on sale in 9/2003 for $599. Save your money and spend it on accessories. This is all the radio you may need. One caveat, I do have an external NIR-12 DSP unit which provides Auto Notch and some noise reduction abilities which compliment the DX-77T. I could purchase a radio costing 3 times as much, but why?

AE6GS Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2003 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good budget-priced radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got a DX-77T at a swap meet last year. Based on reviews and reputation, I expected it to be a good, basic rig. I have found it to be surprisingly good, however, and remarkably versatile.

Mine is mounted in my truck with a gen-you-wine W6AAQ screwdriver antenna mounted in the bed, and I have just been having a blast for the last year. I'm not exactly a dedicated DXer, but I have had a lot of fun working DX to Japan, Europe, and South America on my way to and from work with this rig.

The plusses are the fact that everything is on the front panel: controls, plugs, and speaker. Although it's significantly bigger than a micro-rig (Icom 706 or Yaesu FT-100), I have plenty of room in the truck for it, so I think it's a plus because it's easier to operate. It has a good receiver (which means I can usually tune the screwdriver by sound) and, even with the stock mike, good audio performance. The bonus with this rig is the 10M FM with PL tones - when 10M is open, it's a really fun mode.

The funny thing is that I bought this with the idea that it would be a "make-do" rig until I decided to afford a new Icom or Yaesu "micro-rig." However, with this and my trusty VX-5, I don't really need another rig - they do everything I need, and do it well enough that I don't know why I'd want to replace them. Furthermore, I find them both a pleasure to use. So, until I get the yen (and the Yen) to do 6m or 2m SSB, this is going to be my mobile rig, and I'm going to really enjoy it.

KD7FAU Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2003 04:05 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've operated my DX-77T for over two years now. It's been a solid radio and never given me any problems. I run mostly CW but voice once in a while. Always get good reports for both. The manual is easy to read but a good idea to keep on hand when making adjustments. The rig is simple, functional and small enough in size to pack along. I do wish the internal hi/low power switch was external. For the price it is a very competative radio.

KG4PWC Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2002 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent first rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had for about 1 year. I have the rig hooked to an LDG RT-11 remote tuner connected through a 4:1 current balun feeding a 300 ohm twin lead into an 80 meter loop up about 30 feet. I use the rig in the evenings and at night but have been able to reach Buenos Aires, Middle East, Russia and Europe and have made contacts on all bands except 160 meters. The rig is very easy to use, the passband is effective and the tune button is very handy. I did have to get the diode array repaired after 8 months for $95 including shipping. My signal and audio reports have been excellent with the hand mike. The speech compressor works well. The built in keyer is excellent. I paid $550 on E-bay and have had no regrets. I would recommend this rig to anyone just starting. I've used an ICOM 706 MKII G, Kenwood TS140 and Kenwood 570D and like the Alinco better for the money on HF.

KD7PTY Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2002 02:58 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first rig, and for the price I paid I am pleased. It does not have the "bells and whistles" of more expensive rigs, but it does everything most new hams need. I bought it from a silent key, along with the Alinco auto tuner. I use a long wire off of my codo balcony. So far, 65 countries in about 3 months on the air. Again, for the price, a good deal. I recommend it.

W6IZK Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2002 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig for the $$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic rig for the price. I'm 100% satisfied with its performance on PSK-31 and SSB on the higher HF bands. The VFO appears to be rock solid, tuning is very smooth and precise. I consistently get excellent TX audio reports and the RX audio is also excellent. Using it with the EDX-1 manual tuner connected to a Butternut 9V antenna. If I can hear someone, I can generally work them.

Performance on PSK is excellent also, I appreciate the front panel jacks instead of hunting for them on the rear panel. Only thing I'd change is a Mike gain control on the front panel.

WD8WV Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2001 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for the Price and a Tuff Rig  Time owned: months
At this time I do not own a DX-77 but will be getting one in a few weeks. This review is based on some experiences I have had with a friends rig.

I will try and be brief with the history of his radio. He bought this radio about 8 to 10 months ago. He loved this rig, both for its performance and price. He also bought the automatic tuner.

On July 9th, 2001 here in WV we had some bad floods due to excessive rainfall, about 7 inches in a 5 hr span. His radio was in the basement family room. The day of the flood, he got 4 and a half feet of water in his family room. The Alinco was under a foot and a half of muddy water. After the flood I went to help him clean up and dispose of a lot of damaged stuff. I advised him not to throw out the radio or any other items that were electronic. I had read an article in QST one time about bringing an HT back to life after it had been dropped in salt water.

Well, a month went by and he had not touched the radio. I told him that if he did not hold me responsible that I would work on it for him. So he brought the radio to me and I proceded to disassemble the radio. The radio was covered with a lot of sediment, inside and out. I took some pictures during the dismanteling and also of what the out come was. I worked on the radio for about 8 hours. Using a tooth brush with the head bent and brushed the sediment off the circuit boards. I used the water hose to wash the covers and face plate. I then took the circuit boards and used a CRC brand QD Electronic Cleaner, bought at a local NAPA store, and washed the boards with this cleaner. Using tuning cleaner on the squelch and volume controls to relubricate them. I began putting the rig back together and once it was complete I hooked it to a power supply and an antenna. I turned it on and WOW, it was receiving. All his programmed memories were still intact. I tuned to various frequencies and bands with it. The audio was just outstanding. I then proceeded to clean the desk mike. Once that was done, I hooked the mic up and began keying the rig. I got a full 100 watts out. I tried to make a few contacts but at 1 AM in the morning it is hard to find someone to talk to. I took the radio to him on Thursday and that night we had a QSO. The TX audio was superb and he was so thankful that I was able to clean his rig and get it working.

So to make a long story short, after working on his rig, I have decided to purchase one from a friend who has two due to a close friend of his passing away and leaving him his DX-77 that was on 5 months old. After listening to my friends radio after being resurrected from a watery grave and noticing the great audio, which is better than my Yaesu FT-840 I decided this is a radio for me.

Sorry to have made a long story even longer but just thought people should know, just because you equipment may have been in a flood or gotten wet, let it dry out throughly and get a good electronics cleaner and try and bring it back to life.

Juddie, KC8CON

W4ADI Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2001 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig for the price!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having owned this rig for close to one year now, it has been put through the paces. The only complaint I have is the squawk-back on SSB Tx. I have addressed this with Alinco and also below in a review by T. Howey, I applied his fix and it works well. I would recommend this rig to anyone wanting a decent rig with A BUDGET. I bought the DX77 EQ model while it was out and it has performed flawless.